Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Well, if you should decide you'd like to go to for a year-correct horn bar instead of the more fetching looking ring, I have two of stashed away somewhere around here I'd gladly give you one of them if you want it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

So are you going to build a Baja with it?

KIDDING!!! Razz

Really love the car, so cool that you got it back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sepilove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Beautiful!! I have it's twin! Was that Mesh red rounded seat backs one year only? I thought I read that somewhere before....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is my 65. Finished her this year
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

jimwar wrote:

Here is my 65. Finished her this year

That car looks great! A Black car with ALL the deluxe trim ( including around the windows ) REALLY "POPS".
Thanks for sharing!
oldtimercraiova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Love it! Shocked
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

this is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for.
I own a 65 Sea Bleu Deluxe 1200 that I am rebuilding.

I have been looking for original interior configuration for ages now, and I still have some questions.
The main question is : were there or not some carpets? Let me explain.

On the Wolfsburg West web shop, I can see they sell 10-piece kits, which do not cove the floor pans.
Here : https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113863008Z

On the other hand, on the JBug web shop, I can see they sell two different kits :
- full kits, which covers everything, including the floor pans and the tunnel
- 5 piece kits, which cover only the front body parts, and which are supposed to be used in addition to rubber floor mats. The Latters also cover the tunnel.

If I trust the pictures on this thread, I would say that the good configuration is : 5 piece kit to cover the body parts (front fire wall and heat channels) + rubber floor mats to cover the floors pans and the tunnel + a specificities kit for the rear luggage compartment.

Am I right?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Nevo, SeaBlue is one of my favorite vintage VW colors. Wishing you success with your rebuild.

My reference for originality is this Ruby Red '65 with less than 14,000 Km which I saw in person at this shop in New York. Here's a shot of the front interior, showing the rubber mat that goes over the tunnel. Therefore, your planned carpet set should be the "5 piece" set.

If you want a good copy of the original German square-weave carpet, find one with that material and a tan-colored cloth edge binding. WW sells a kit with that carpet material but with black cloth binding. It looks excellent but is not entirely a true copy due to the binding color. There may be a better supplier in Europe (used to be Dylan Cheasley in GB) or have a local high-end interior restoration shop make a set from scratch.

For your reference here is the album of this wonderful car- http://www.classicvwbugs.com/65rubyoriginal/
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Hello Rome,

thanks for the answer.
So you confirmed my theory, thx.

Why do you mention Tan?
According to the documentation here as well as the one here the carpets are Tin Grey T307.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

This was my mom's panama beige '65 taken around 1980. Everything other than the steering wheel cover and possibly the sun visors is original to the car. The car never had a radio until it was given to my brother and we converted it to 12 volt and put in a nice stereo. I am pretty sure the engine had never been out of the car at this point so it should be pretty correct.

This was my pearl white '65 that was one of the last 100 '65s built. The radio is an earlier Bendix AM/FM that I bought for $4 at a flea market and the steering wheel is obviously an aftermarket one. The gear shift was painted grey but most of the paint had been worn off at the top so it looks black. This was also taken around 1980.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nevo, SeaBlue is one of my favorite vintage VW colors. Wishing you success with your rebuild.

My reference for originality is this Ruby Red '65 with less than 14,000 Km which I saw in person at this shop in New York. Here's a shot of the front interior, showing the rubber mat that goes over the tunnel. Therefore, your planned carpet set should be the "5 piece" set.

If you want a good copy of the original German square-weave carpet, find one with that material and a tan-colored cloth edge binding. WW sells a kit with that carpet material but with black cloth binding. It looks excellent but is not entirely a true copy due to the binding color. There may be a better supplier in Europe (used to be Dylan Cheasley in GB) or have a local high-end interior restoration shop make a set from scratch.

For your reference here is the album of this wonderful car- http://www.classicvwbugs.com/65rubyoriginal/

The edge binding was not tan. It was grey. . At least on cars with the grey German square weave carpet. I believe it was a little darker than in the picture originally but was not very fade resistant. '65s were configured exactly as pictured above. The rubber mats were grey and were two piece. One front and one back.

slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

this car made my wiener jump a little.
Just a little though. Wink

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Nice Bug.......Here's my 65 I just picked up

It's all OG with 15K on the odometer
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

smeag wrote:

Nice car. Curious. What is the device that the outlet hose of the fuel pump is going to before continuing to the carb? Is it a filter? Back flow preventer?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

65 Sunroof wrote:
smeag wrote:

Nice car. Curious. What is the device that the outlet hose of the fuel pump is going to before continuing to the carb? Is it a filter? Back flow preventer?

Now you can't post pictures of that clean without a back story...

smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Thanks Andy and Chris
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Pearlwhite L-87 100% stock Reply with quote

Adding to the seat piping (welting) discussion, my Bahama Blue with Windsor fabric and light blue vinyl also had the very thin piping across the upper part of the seatback. The vinyl has a matte luster, as compared to the shinier luster of the red covers shown in Smeag's photos. Also, the texture on mine is rather smooth. On mine, there are also panels between the upholstery and seat cushion that provide a scalloped feel to the seat surfaces. Maybe the scalloped panels are unique to the fabric upholstery.

Also, curious, Gary, if your radio has a built-in fader to operate the rear speaker independently. My car has a separate fader switch on the dash that operates the front/rear fader.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: