Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rturk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

All, I recently successfully installed CIP1's late model wiper assembly into my 66 and set the park location successfully. Can someone tell me how to "reset" the park setting? - or - is it a one time thing. I had an issue yesterday and now the wipers park about halfway in the middle of the dash. I would just rotate the wiper arms, except the wipers are in the middle of the cycle and would crash into the dash.

Background: Yesterday the wiper speed started to increase and then went kind of haywire, leading to a blown fuse. The linkage bent so I removed it, undid some circlips, and straightened one of the arms. There was only one way to put it back together so I don't believe anything is out of alignment/cycle with respect to the assembly (correct me if I am wrong) I referendum the old assembly to see the relative orientation of the wiper arms and linkage arms. Maybe I misaligned something when I reassembled?

I backed out the teflon screw, applied power to the slow speed terminal with the switch in slow, and then took that wire and touched it to the park terminal when the wipers were parked where I wanted, switch still in slow. I then tightened the teflon screw, but no change in the park location.

Thanks for the help.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

There is a linkage that connects the motor's output to the wiper linkage.

Disconnect battery!

Remove the linkage from the motor drive.

Reconnect battery.

Turn motor on and turn it off, let it park.

Disconnect battery.

Position wipers where you want them to be parked, reattach linkage to motor.

Make sure you disconnect battery before messing around in there, that wiper linkage will take your fingers off easy.
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

What do you mean with "linkage that connects the motor's output" and "wiper linkage"? Which one to remove?
Picture will helpful

thank's

sjbartnik wrote:
There is a linkage that connects the motor's output to the wiper linkage.

Disconnect battery!

Remove the linkage from the motor drive.

Reconnect battery.

Turn motor on and turn it off, let it park.

Disconnect battery.

Position wipers where you want them to be parked, reattach linkage to motor.

Make sure you disconnect battery before messing around in there, that wiper linkage will take your fingers off easy.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

sjbartnik's instructions are very clear but here's a pic - basically you are disconnecting the motor from the drive linkage (at red arrow), switching on/off so the motor goes to park, then with the wiper arms in the desired park position re-attach the drive link to the motor
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

Hi finster,
Thank you for information and picture that you provide.
Thank' s to sjbartnik Smile too

This is very clear for me

Have a nice Day Smile

best rgrds
- daru -

finster wrote:
sjbartnik's instructions are very clear but here's a pic - basically you are disconnecting the motor from the drive linkage (at red arrow), switching on/off so the motor goes to park, then with the wiper arms in the desired park position re-attach the drive link to the motor
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

Let me repeat the caution that the motor/linkage has enough torque and leverage to sever your fingers! Safety first!
daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Resetting park feature on late-model wiper assembly Reply with quote

Hi KTPhil

Yes. Thank You for Caution Reminder.
I'll do it very carefully as describe above.
SAFETY First!

Best rgrds
daru

KTPhil wrote:
Let me repeat the caution that the motor/linkage has enough torque and leverage to sever your fingers! Safety first!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: