Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cleaning the inside of heater boxes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

I've got a 76 vw bus. The inside of the heater boxes(heat exchangers) have a lot of oil inside them. When the engine gets hot tons of smoke come out of the heater boxes. You can actually hear the oil crackling and burning inside. Can the oil be cleaned out of the inside of these heat exchangers with them still installed on the engine?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Drive it..... stop the leaks going into the boxes

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

When mine were removed during my 1700 cc refresh, I used an Oxy/Ace torch with rosebud tip down the exhaust with a low flame. I really heated up the inside, baked all the crap till the smoke was minimal. Let them cool down, then I threw them both in my parts washer tank for a day, then thoroughly rinsed them in the alley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
When mine were removed during my 1700 cc refresh, I used an Oxy/Ace torch with rosebud tip down the exhaust with a low flame. I really heated up the inside, baked all the crap till the smoke was minimal. Let them cool down, then I threw them both in my parts washer tank for a day, then thoroughly rinsed them in the alley.

In the alley? Meaning you washed all that crap into the storm sewer?

People, please! Tanke that stuff to your local hazardous waste collection center. At a minimum, take those liquids and get them all sorbed onto some good adsorbent. Rolling Eyes
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

When I brought mine to be painted and baked, I told the guy they were oily inside, and I didn't want them to mess up anything else that he might have had in the oven. He appreciated that. So he baked them first.
One could probably do the same on a barbecue...

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

I used hot soapy water and ammonia, let them sit a couple days in it, shaking them occasionally then drained the soapy water down the toilet. used hot water to rinse them from the water heater.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

In the alley? Meaning you washed all that crap into the storm sewer?

People, please! Tanke that stuff to your local hazardous waste collection center. At a minimum, take those liquids and get them all sorbed onto some good adsorbent. Rolling Eyes

Hello,
I see you haven't been too the San Joaquin Valley, lately. It is a "hazardous waste collection center".
Way to many people there now, for my liking. Nothing like in the late 70s early 80s... Many of nights spent on Blackstone or Mooneys in either Fresno or Visallia, let alone Kings in Bakersfield at the south end. Let, alone the smaller towns in between... And, then there were the trips too Modesto for Grafitti Nights.. Yes, the good old days...
There are still good things about the San Joaquin Valley these days, but clean air and water aren't some of them...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Fix the leaks, remove the accordion tubes, block off the ducts going forward into the car and put some hard miles on her. Especially during the summer months the heater boxes will clean up in a few thousand miles.
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

I burned the gunk out of mine. I'm not necessarily going to recommend this approach but mine were pretty oily and it worked for me. In hindsight I suppose this could have caused some warpage or other damage, but I didn't let them burn for long and everything turned out great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
I burned the gunk out of mine. I'm not necessarily going to recommend this approach but mine were pretty oily and it worked for me. In hindsight I suppose this could have caused some warpage or other damage, but I didn't let them burn for long and everything turned out great.

Makes me think of the fun way of cleaning out a clogged up VW TDI intake manifold.

Link

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Using solvents or burning will only make them stink worse.
They have a porous asbestos-like matting inside that will either half-way burn and/or absorb your solvents.

They come apart for cleaning by drilling a few spot welds;
How-to is in your handy local Bentley manual.

Also in the bus motor build in my sig..

What’s That Noise?!?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Agreed, dismantling is really the best solution, a week's soak in Simple green may get most of it but there's still going to be residues in the center of the foil covered part that no amount of rinsing wll reach, YMMV.

Care to guess which blanket was on the bottom?, these made the deep fryer sound after any drive over 2 miles and constantly stunk like an oil refinery. The spot welds are usually a single one at each end of each seam, you don't have to unfold the lip fully either, just loosen it a little and you can separate them by squeezing the shell that's inside the fold and working it out like changing a bicycle tire.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

I’m a little skeptical that simply driving it will get rid of the smell. I drove my Bus from Asheville to Maine last fall. Lots of climbing and long days in warm weather, 1,251 miles in all. The leak had been fixed for a while, but I was hoping this drive would bake the smell away. It didn’t.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Well on my type 1 I try really to be careful about oil. It still happens though. When adjusting valves it's good to put a rag just under the head between the opened area and the heater boxes.
Oil smoke is a carcinogen and burning it out does not get it all. Washing with soap and water or a good carb cleaner works best. Probably good to put them in the solvent tank first then the water-based cleaner. It will eat the aluminum if overdone.
I need to do mine again it's been 5 years since the rebuild and I don't even have any oil leaks. They just get oil in them somehow. The biggest problem with VW and Porsche Air Cooled engine design is the oil getting into the heater boxes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

BruceJ wrote:
I’m a little skeptical that simply driving it will get rid of the smell. I drove my Bus from Asheville to Maine last fall. Lots of climbing and long days in warm weather, 1,251 miles in all. The leak had been fixed for a while, but I was hoping this drive would bake the smell away. It didn’t.

I have had three different sets of heater boxes on my van over the years and two on my 411 and they all smoked and stunk like crazy when I first bought the rigs or installed use replacement boxes on them. Each and every one cleaned up with time.
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

I used a Harbor freight Weed Burner on mine, kept at it until no more oil smoke. used JB Weld at any gaps between cover and cast parts. New cardboard tubes in engine compartment, same treatment on the metal tubes to the heater valves. Repainted, hooked up.
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Maybe I just need to give it some time. It’s actually not me who’s complaining, it’s my S.O. She’s right, it kinda smells; but as for me, liberal use of patchouli is a lot less work. But that’s just me Wink
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

Just responded to a similar post, but this seems to be the more appropriate place to discuss the smelly heater boxes...

Agree with busdaddy on taking the boxes apart to really clean them up. It's pretty easy, and once you get at that factory waffle texture insulation, you'll see why you can never get them clean. I'm not sure what that stuff is made of (and I hope it's not asbestos), but I have no idea how to clean it without destroying it, so I'm just going to replace it with fiberglass pad, and some aluminum flashing.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

If you get the insides ceramic coated you can leave the fiberglass and aluminum out. Which will make cleaning them in the future much easier. The fiberglass will just be another oil sponge and you will be taking them apart again.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: cleaning the inside of heater boxes Reply with quote

When I cleaned mine,I tried using flashing but found it too stiff to work with so I used alum pizza trays from the dollar store.I was easy to bend and costed very little blood.
I wonder if a fella was to eliminate the air flow from the shroud to the exchangers and pumbed the aux fan to draw fresh air from outside the engine compartment would it eliminate the oiling problem and would it provide enough air flow.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: