Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquabuzzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount Reply with quote

I tore my transmission mounts last week, I found a brand new set of the rear ones among my stuff here at home. But I have to order a front nose cone mount.

I've been unable to find the exact part, with greatly varying year descriptions in all the places that I usually order from, some of the online sites even claim to not have them at all.

I have a 1968 Fastback, the nosecone mount looks like it may be two pieces. I'm not sure, I haven't taken it all apart yet. My Bentley manual is vague... and I can't find an image like mine for sale anywhere.

Can anybody help clear this up for me? Thanks!

I have one like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only listings I have found suggested parts like this:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount Reply with quote

What does the other side of the top pic look like? I'm just asking as the rear side (facing up in your pic) looks like an IRS trans mount.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
aquabuzzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
What does the other side of the top pic look like? I'm just asking as the rear side (facing up in your pic) looks like an IRS trans mount.

Thanks, thats the exact kind of nonsense I'm running into here. This car is for certain a 1968, and its a swing axle, not a convert or any previous owner goofiness. 1968 VWs are all a lot of nonsense in my experience.

The transmission has the two offset bolts at the front.

Heres a pic of in in place.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount Reply with quote

aquabuzzard wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Thanks, thats the exact kind of nonsense I'm running into here. This car is for certain a 1968, and its a swing axle, not a convert or any previous owner goofiness. 1968 VWs are all a lot of nonsense in my experience.

The transmission has the two offset bolts at the front.

Heres a pic of in in place.

Well that sounds like an IRS mount up thru 71, I think.
The mount on your 68 is probably the 1st year for that style, since it's the last year for Swing Axle in the USA (69's got IRS), but VW did keep the swing axle in use thru 73 in other markets. So it's possible that VW went to this style of mount earlier than thought, as VW did make mid year changes.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
aquabuzzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The mount on your 68 is probably the 1st year for that style, since it's the last year for Swing Axle in the USA (69's got IRS), but VW did keep the swing axle in use thru 73 in other markets. So it's possible that VW went to this style of mount earlier than thought, as VW did make mid year changes.

I think you're right, I did some more digging and found an OEM part number and googled that and found this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406106

For anyone that stumbles across this thread, the part number is 311301265G and is for manual transmission on 68-73 regardless of IRS or swing axle. Thats right, it works for both through the aforementioned years!

Last edited by aquabuzzard on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Correct Transaxle Nose Cone Mount Reply with quote

aquabuzzard wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I think you're right, I did some more digging and found an OEM part number and googled that and found this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406106

For anyone that stumbles across this thread, the part number is 311301265B and is for manual transmission on 68-73 regardless of IRS or swing axle. Thats right, it works for both through the aforementioned years!

And Russ and Anthony verified it for you in that other thread. Cool. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: