Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake booster rebuild shop
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Guys,
I have two 1971 boosters to send out and my local guy has raised his prices to the point that’s it’s not affordable any more. I’m looking for a shop I can ship to and have my boosters returned within a week or so. If you can recommend a shop please let me know. TIA
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

did you call Karps in Upland?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
did you call Karps in Upland?

Nope, but I will. Thanks
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

gary, can you please define 'not affordable' ?

I would rather pony up for a good rebuild than buy one of the shitty new offerings from a vendor

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
gary, can you please define 'not affordable' ?

I would rather pony up for a good rebuild than buy one of the shitty new offerings from a vendor

My guy, Bush Power Brake has gone from roughly $110 to $155. Then I sent a guy down to him and he reported the price to be roughly $200+ as I remember. I’ll call them tomorrow but from what I’ve seen shipping them out would be the best deal. I sure miss that good old boy in Texas and his $100 rebuildes
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Power Brake Exchange down (up for you) in Bell Gardens, CA.

If you google them you'll come up with the name Original Cylinder Corporation.. I guess they use to operate under a different name.

Address: 6853 Suva St, Bell Gardens, CA 90201
Phone: (562) 806-6661

They rebuilt my booster within 2 hours of handing it to them on a Saturday. I went and picked it up same day.

I went there personally to deliver my booster to have a look at their shop. Well organized and clean. Looks like they have a lot of work, they take in orders by shipment and will ship them out too.

I can't recall how much they charged me, but I posted on a thread here somewhere.

Edit:
Found the thread. Was $135.
Also I think it should work for you.....
Laughing Laughing Laughing
aeromech wrote:
That's a great price. I may use them in the future via shipping.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Last edited by Terminatez on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. I’ll contact them tomorrow
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

How are these guts opening these cases? I haven't looked at one in a while but I thought it was a cold rolled case that would take more than an hour or two.

Do they off grind and reweld!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

My understanding is that two have fit together like a jar lid. Inside is a diaphragm with a spring under pressure so you jig the booster up to hold the spring and then twist the halves apart.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

You guys are lucky out the on the West Coast. Shipping one from here to CA and back to VA would be around $40-50 total and that's with the cheapest USPS rate. Figure the dimensions of the carton, weight and how far it's traveling each way. Best of luck Gary, let us know what you find out!!!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Update Monday morning:

I called Karp's and they wanted $150 each, plus return shipping
I called Brake materials and parts and they wanted $165 each plus return shipping.
I called Prior Auto in Texas and she needed a picture to show the shop so no quote yet.

Finally I called my local guy, Steve, at Bush Power Brake and he said he'd do the pair for $150 each with quick turn around time. So, I guess he gets my business. Thanks for the help guys.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

These guys have rebuilt three brake boosters for me, and I have always been pleased with the work:

http://www.brakematerialsandparts.com/boosterrebuilding.htm

They are in Fort Wayne, Indiana
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
These guys have rebuilt three brake boosters for me, and I have always been pleased with the work:

http://www.brakematerialsandparts.com/boosterrebuilding.htm

They are in Fort Wayne, Indiana

I can get them done locally for $15 less each and I don't need to ship. Thanks for the tip though. Not sure why my shop keeps bouncing their prices around. I guess I caught Steve on a good day.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Hi guys, posting an update on current prices and details for the brake booster shops that have been mentioned in the bay forum. As I'm just about to have mine rebuilt, I'd love to hear feedback from anyone that has used one of these (or other) shops within the last year or so and the results you're getting.

Bush Power Brake service in National City, CA
$225 plus shipping
Turnaround time: Immediate, they have rebuilt stock for exchange

Karps Power Brake Service in Upland, CA
$195 plus return shipping
Turnaround time: They're swamped but will expedite if the need is urgent

Prior Brake Products in Mesquite, TX
$163.42 plus return shipping,
Turnaround time: 2-3 days once core is received
1yr/15000 mile warrantee

Brake Materials & Parts in Ft. Wayne, Indiana
$185 plus return shipping
Turnaround time: 4 weeks

Brake and Clutch Supply Waco TX
No longer doing VW boosters
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:
Hi guys, posting an update on current prices and details for the brake booster shops that have been mentioned in the bay forum...

Thanks for posting this. I also need mine rebuilt.. I think. The booster has been out of the bus for a few years, and was not stored very well (understatement).

Can someone tell me if the booster in the pictures below is worth rebuilding, or should I get a new one? (I am not sure if it is the original as it was on the bus when I got it 10 years ago).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

i suggested Bush in the email due to the fast turn around time. used them a few times with no issue.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

i suggested Bush in the email due to the fast turn around time. used them a few times with no issue.

Yea, they also sounded like the most proficient with these boosters when I talked to them on the phone. He mentioned that old VW boosters are a large part of their orders.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Gary,
Sorry for this type of response, but if you read my entries on this short thread, you will see where I sent mine - with great results.

I seriously doubt you can get it back in any short amount of time though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705474&highlight=booster

Good Luck
Andrew
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Squeeze Cheese wrote:

Yea, they also sounded like the most proficient with these boosters when I talked to them on the phone. He mentioned that old VW boosters are a large part of their orders.

just check that they send you a vent bellows or if they want you to keep yours. don't break it or lose it...they are not available. it's the assembly that goes around the pushrod

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I had my booster rebuilt by this shop:

Scott & Margaret Bethke
Brake Materials & Parts Inc
800 Sherman Blvd
Fort Wayne IN 46808

[email protected]

The customer service was excellent and I am very pleased with the work.
The photo shows the booster as it came back after rebuild.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: