Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake booster rebuild shop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Mberglo wrote:
I bought a new one from Wolfsburg West for my 71. Fits and works fine. Not sure what people are bitching about.

Most likely, because the one they received from WW didn't work so "fine". Also did not fit stock vac. hose.

Stock vacuum hose hooked right up. WW claims they make these. Anyway, it installed easy and works like it should.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Interesting read. I had no idea that these could be rebuilt.
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

So I got my original booster back after returning the first one that Bush Power Brake Services sent me that they had "rebuilt" and had on the shelf.

Here is my original they "rebuilt" with a less than desirable paint job. Smudges, overspray on the rubber and stud threads. I'm going to assume by the looks of the flattened O-ring, they didn't change that, as a matter of fact, since there is overspray all over the rubber, I'm going to assume, they didn't take it apart at all. If I'm wrong, and they did, then why not paint it disassembled? Or at least mask off the rubber and studs, like I did when I repainted it.

Before...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After... my rework of running a die on the threads, getting the overspray off the rubber, paint, and for a nice touch... glued the original sticker back on.

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

i really hope they haven't gone the way of rattle can rebuilds.

you should be able to peek inside and see if the guts are clean/new looking, that what really counts.

on a side note....

if you want the thing shiny and detailed to the 9's expect to pony up. even junk cadone units come back barely sand blasted and coated in an anti rust poop.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Are the booster halves spot welded or is it more like a crimp fit? How easy are they to take apart and put back together? Or is there a reason that shouldn't be done by anyone except an expert?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Are the booster halves spot welded or is it more like a crimp fit? How easy are they to take apart and put back together? Or is there a reason that shouldn't be done by anyone except an expert?

I don't think I've ever seen a welded booster, but I've only razed a few. Most small outfits have an experienced possibly older grumpy dude that can cleanly separate the crimp points with a hammer/chisel/dolly, and reassemble beautifully too.

I think the volume shops use hydraulic presses?*[citation needed]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i really hope they haven't gone the way of rattle can rebuilds.

you should be able to peek inside and see if the guts are clean/new looking, that what really counts.

on a side note....

if you want the thing shiny and detailed to the 9's expect to pony up. even junk cadone units come back barely sand blasted and coated in an anti rust poop.

I did pony up $275 for what I suspect is was just a $3 paint job... by a 4 year old. Maybe it was my fault for assuming it would come back somewhat "restored"

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

deepcflea wrote:

Maybe it was my fault for assuming it would come back somewhat "restored"

i'm not shitting on you, so don't take it that way....

how does it work? better? worse? the same?

that is the proof right there. i AM NOT siding with the place but lets be real....they aren't going to finish it to the 9's for 275.

figure a rebuild kit is 100 bux. then a 100 in labor...2-2.5 hours. hard to make a living on such narrow margins, especially in a high tax dump like CA.

anyway the same could be said about swapping a transmission... you get one with a nice case or one a bit pitted...as long as the insides are as advertised who cares? the trans shop for sure isn't going to fill every pit in the case and paint it so you can see your retinas in it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I got an off the self booster from Bush, it sure is nice. Looks good and works good!

Before:

After:

I matched it to this new ATE master cylinder:

’65 Deluxe Build
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

deepcflea wrote:

Maybe it was my fault for assuming it would come back somewhat "restored"

i'm not shitting on you, so don't take it that way....

how does it work? better? worse? the same?

that is the proof right there. i AM NOT siding with the place but lets be real....they aren't going to finish it to the 9's for 275.

figure a rebuild kit is 100 bux. then a 100 in labor...2-2.5 hours. hard to make a living on such narrow margins, especially in a high tax dump like CA.

anyway the same could be said about swapping a transmission... you get one with a nice case or one a bit pitted...as long as the insides are as advertised who cares? the trans shop for sure isn't going to fill every pit in the case and paint it so you can see your retinas in it

Skills, you make a good point about $$, and I respect your opinion on here. I get it...

It worked fine as far as I was concerned when I sent it to them. This is the first piece of my DC that I've sent off (besides my long block and transmission) to get redone. Everything else I've done myself. I really just wanted it gone through to ensure it was like new and I would not have to worry about it in the future.

Maybe it was my misguided and overinflated expectations that I would get it back and it would also be "restored"

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I got an off the self booster from Bush, it sure is nice. Looks good and works good!

Before:

After:

I matched it to this new ATE master cylinder:

That's quite the difference!!

Rich, maybe it's just me, but that overspray on the rubber drives me nuts!! Evil or Very Mad

Who ever previously painted my DC white, either did a shotty masking job, or in some areas, did not mask rubber or bother to remove it and painted right over it. Every piece of exterior rubber has white on it or totally covered. To me... it's sloppy. But as Skills said... you get what you pay for.

Without dragging this thread out... I'll digress and chalk it up to... it works as advertised and I have overinflated expectations and probably envisioned "restored" when I paid for "rebuilt"

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I get your frustration with over spray on the body paint. But to me, you don’t see this part. So as long as it’s Thoroughly painted and works as intended, I can deal with some overspray. Also, my bus is a mountain bus. It gets used a lot and I built it for function not show.
’65 Deluxe Build
Komet155
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I'm glad I found this thread.

I have an '81 Rabbit Pickup and have been researching my options for rebuilding a Bendix booster as fitted on US built Rabbits. It seems the only ones available already rebuilt are ATE units as fitted on German watercooled Rabbits/Jettas/Sciroccos.

I contacted some of the vendors listed here and so far I've heard back from:

Power Brake Exchange Pittsburgh PA: $285 (painted canister)
Power Brake Exchange Santa Fe Springs CA: $130 (painted canister)
Brake Materials and Parts Ft Wayne IN: $205 (painted canister)
Prior Brake Mesquite TX: $127 (painted canister)
Karp's Power Brake Upland CA $160 (painted) OR $205 (powder-coated canister)

I'm trying to decide between Karp's and Prior.
Can anyone comment on how their build qualities compare?
Komet155
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Anyone?
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I can't help you between Karp's and Prior as I got mine rebuilt through Brake Materials and Parts but I can say I think he did an excellent job on mine. It took a little longer than quoted (maybe six weeks instead of four) but I wasn't in a particular hurry so no big deal there. I found him here on the samba and know many others have used him with good results as well. Just a consideration...

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I have sent two boosters to Karp's and both were done well. Zero problems whatsoever. 1973 Type 2 and 1981 Type 3 / Vanagon

The paint job is adequate. I expect these shops to paint their work on its way out the door. The driveline I had balanced for my truck, the transmission I had rebuilt by Rancho last month and a long block I bought years ago for a Dodge truck were all quickly painted AFTER complete assembly.

I expect that, because the paint work is applied to protect the metal, not to win a show. I expect the machine to perform like new with many years of service.

Does a quick and dirty paint job reflect poor craftsmanship overall? Sometimes it does. A great example of that is a house painter who blows over dry rot and peeling paint.

Karp's > http://www.karpspb.com/
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Komet155 wrote:
Anyone?

boy, you didn't really look too hard did ya?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313731731678?fits=Year%3A...Sw7WVhj~6c

that's the same one i bought for my 82 sharTTruck which also uses a bendix booster

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Oooh Cardone brand brake parts! At least Russian roulette with a revolver costs less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Komet155
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Yes, I looked hard.

First of all, 81-84 Westmoreland Rabbits use Bendix brake boosters and that part number 53-5601 is for German-built Rabbits, Sciroccos and Jettas of the same vintage. Cardone's own website shows it to be part# 53-5600.
The eBay listings showing 53-5601 as compatible for US built Rabbits are wrong.

Second of all, Cardone is crap.

Do you really think I went through all the trouble to read this whole thread and contact multiple rebuilders without doing some research?

Pleeease and thank you.

Komet155 wrote:
Anyone?

boy, you didn't really look too hard did ya?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313731731678?fits=Year%3A...Sw7WVhj~6c

that's the same one i bought for my 82 sharTTruck which also uses a bendix booster

Last edited by Komet155 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Komet155
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I was leaning toward's Karps.
I called and spoke to Jeff and he seemed friendly and knowledgeable. I like that he offers powder coating as an option for not much more. He told me that their basic finish is just rattle can paint. I'm not building a show car, but I'd rather not have the paint peel away and expose the canister to rust.
BTW as of this month they've moved from Upland to Chino CA

Wasted youth wrote:
I have sent two boosters to Karp's and both were done well. Zero problems whatsoever. 1973 Type 2 and 1981 Type 3 / Vanagon

The paint job is adequate. I expect these shops to paint their work on its way out the door. The driveline I had balanced for my truck, the transmission I had rebuilt by Rancho last month and a long block I bought years ago for a Dodge truck were all quickly painted AFTER complete assembly.

I expect that, because the paint work is applied to protect the metal, not to win a show. I expect the machine to perform like new with many years of service.

Does a quick and dirty paint job reflect poor craftsmanship overall? Sometimes it does. A great example of that is a house painter who blows over dry rot and peeling paint.

Karp's > http://www.karpspb.com/

Last edited by Komet155 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: