Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New German Brake Booster
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I want a brand new booster - preferably VW. My rebuild from last year is leaking again already. I've been poking around looking for options and was considering the VW Brazilian version that requires some modifications. I was just about to pull the trigger when I stumbled upon what claims to be a new German VW unit at CIP1:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-612-103

I ordered one. I'll let you know if it's the real deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

What's does " Original German or equivalent " mean?

Rolling Eyes
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

It’s ATE which is OEM. Super high quality bolt on replacement. I’ve had mine for over a year with no complaints.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Here’s the 2017 Ate Classics Catalog

http://www.ate-brakes.com/media/3176/ate-classic-c5-2017.pdf

Catalog page 448 (PDF 552)

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That's just their rating system - not the part description. Hope BayCreamPuff is right and it's ATE. That would be good. Will report back once I get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

There's some strange stuff in that catalog, like clutch master and slave cylinders for our buses - when did they get hydraulic clutches? Laughing Hmm, the hydraulic clutch bits go from 05/79 to 07/79 - I wonder if they were for very early Vanagons?

Looks like servos, master cylinders, brake rotors, brake pads, calipers, brake shoes, brake drums, brake hoses, parking brake cables and clutch cables all being made by ATE again - to quote the catalog:

Continental’s new ATE Classic product family allows classic car enthusiasts to carry out professional brake repairs with parts that match the originals

Very good news for the entire classic car sector if they are remaking to original quality!

Interestingly, I didn't know that there was a different parking brake cable set up from June '79 to the end of production (different to 08/75-05/79, according to the catalog), a different servo from 05/79 to end of production
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Dynamite_Goat wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That's just their rating system - not the part description. Hope BayCreamPuff is right and it's ATE. That would be good. Will report back once I get it.

Pulling for ya!!!

I should post "I hope it sucks, but that might be confusing..."
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this one? http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211612103

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Any thoughts on this one? http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211612103

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583610&highlight=brake+booster
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583610&highlight=brake+booster

Have they fixed the issues since these were announced 4 years ago?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
There's some strange stuff in that catalog, like clutch master and slave cylinders for our buses - when did they get hydraulic clutches? Laughing Hmm, the hydraulic clutch bits go from 05/79 to 07/79 - I wonder if they were for very early Vanagons?

Looks like servos, master cylinders, brake rotors, brake pads, calipers, brake shoes, brake drums, brake hoses, parking brake cables and clutch cables all being made by ATE again - to quote the catalog:

Continental’s new ATE Classic product family allows classic car enthusiasts to carry out professional brake repairs with parts that match the originals

Very good news for the entire classic car sector if they are remaking to original quality!

Interestingly, I didn't know that there was a different parking brake cable set up from June '79 to the end of production (different to 08/75-05/79, according to the catalog), a different servo from 05/79 to end of production

Yes....the hydraulic slaves and mastera are Vanagon. Of course....not the first for an ACVW.....as the 411 and 412 cars had hydraulic clutches from 1968 to 1975. Ray
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Q-dog wrote:

Evidently not: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679475

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Got my booster today - it's the real deal - German ATE and perfect in every respect. Not the cheapest option but worth the extra money IMHO.

BayCreamPuff nailed it with the early call. Very Happy
WendyArmbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I followed the link, but it is already out of stock, and they don't show the price. I was set to buy too. How much was it?

EDIT: Cancel that. I found the price in the middle of what appears to be a banner ad.
Dynamite_Goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

WendyArmbuster wrote:
I followed the link, but it is already out of stock, and they don't show the price. I was set to buy too. How much was it?

EDIT: Cancel that. I found the price in the middle of what appears to be a banner ad.

That sucks. It was $299 w/free shipping.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I bought them all like a little brake booster troll, and I am storing them under by Bridge....
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

The Bus Depot is showing them in stock. Same price.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Q-dog wrote:

Evidently not: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679475

And never any response from WW..
WendyArmbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:

The pictures look different, and the Bus Depot description says I will have to redrill my mounting plate. It could be that the CIP one requires a redrill as well, but they just don't say it, and the photos could just be representational. I don't know.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

WendyArmbuster wrote:
Hoody wrote:

The pictures look different, and the Bus Depot description says I will have to redrill my mounting plate. It could be that the CIP one requires a redrill as well, but they just don't say it, and the photos could just be representational. I don't know.

The one that requires drilling is not Ate. It's "genuine vw of brazil" and it has a different bolt pattern. Bus depot used to carry the Ate one, but I don't see it anymore.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: