Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New German Brake Booster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

WendyArmbuster wrote:
Hoody wrote:
The Bus Depot is showing them in stock. Same price.

The pictures look different, and the Bus Depot description says I will have to redrill my mounting plate. It could be that the CIP one requires a redrill as well, but they just don't say it, and the photos could just be representational. I don't know.

the re-drill (I have commented on this before) is a joke.....you need to weld on to the OE bracket about 3/4" then drill that because the spacing of the studs is at the edge of the OE vw bracket on out busses. at least that is what I ran into

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I know where there is a NOS German ATE 73 on booster for sale if anyone is still looking for one.
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Just got the Ate one in the mail from cip1 and it is infact the real deal! Nice of someone to start remaking quality parts instead of discontinuing them for a change!!! Nice work Ate!!
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Just got the Ate one in the mail from cip1 and it is infact the real deal! Nice of someone to start remaking quality parts instead of discontinuing them for a change!!! Nice work Ate!!
Jivermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Did the ATE (CIP1)bolt right in, without welding or drilling, and how is the brake pedal? The WW unit seems to throw people through the windshield.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Yes it bolted right on and is a direct replacement. The pedal seems fine. Haven't gone through the windshield yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Where are the new ATE ones made?
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I think it was either Germany or Denmark. I remember the booster and the MC were both made in different European countries.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:

The one I have sez "Made in the Czech Republic".

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Hoody wrote:

The one I have sez "Made in the Czech Republic".

Actually that sounds a bit familiar now. I'll change my answer to I don't remember. There was so many new parts all at once it's a bit of a blur now. Rolling Eyes
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

Ok....

Looking at this from Busdepot...

http://www.busdepot.com/j18100

The pic shows the vac hose fitting as 90 degree whereas mine (Ate) is straight on.

Does the actual item differ from the pic/s?

Left work to find the pedal somewhat (small travel) firm with very little to no braking assist. Glanced at my LM-2 and sure enough it goes lean (18++) when braking. I've checked the hoses underneath and the check valve (Mighty vac) all hold vac no leak/s. Master cylinder is not leaking (full) and was rebuilt ~15 years ago. Original Ate booster.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I'd go for the ATE booster at CIP linked n the first post. Seems to be back in stock, is $30 cheapness because of a sale, and is a direct bolt-on instead of the "redrilling" needed for the BD unit.

Plus, being on the west coast it's always taken over a week for orders from BD to get to me.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
I'd go for the ATE booster at CIP linked n the first post. Seems to be back in stock, is $30 cheapness because of a sale, and is a direct bolt-on instead of the "redrilling" needed for the BD unit.

Plus, being on the west coast it's always taken over a week for orders from BD to get to me.

Says 73-79...type O? Listed under 1972

or

Original German (quality or equivalent) ???
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-611-905
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

The ATE booster is a direct replacement (i.e. virtually identical) to 73-79 original units, but it will work fine on
71-72 bus, except the slightly larger size may require a tiny bit of clearancing on the axle beam flange
(I had to file one spot down about 1/16 or less), and the parking brake cable on 71 bus may rub slightly when
tightened (so don't go driving around with the P.B. on, I guess). Also, the makeup air connection
on the front of the ATE booster is slightly smaller than on the 71-72 version, but can easily be sleeved
with a short length of viny tubing or whatever if you wish to use the original hose.

The cheaper one from CIP1 is chinese, sometimes branded "AirTec", and seems to be identical to the
one sold by Wolfsburg West. Some have reported using those with no problems, others not so much.

Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I used an AirTech booster on my rig and have had no issues. I buy them locally and pay $150 outright and the ones I have bought bolt right up. I received 2 last week.

I don’t take the time to source German or NOS parts for client’s buses I repair in my shop. If they bring specific parts of higher quality and price for me to install I will. Most of my customers don’t daily drive so as long as the repair is solid and functional they are good with the parts and service I provide.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I put an Airtec booster on my bus a little over a year ago, I drive my bus quite a bit and the booster is still functioning well. However, the boot on it has already deteriorated. Kind of like all boots seem to nowadays. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
Yes it bolted right on and is a direct replacement. The pedal seems fine. Haven't gone through the windshield yet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got mine (German ATE booster) the other day. Curious did you need to remove the washer under the nub on the end of the pump rod? I rebuilt the MC ~ 12-15 years ago and it's fine (not leaking). But can't remember if there is enough movement once unhooked from the booster to get the vac booster out. I'd like to avoid having to bleed the system.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Got mine (German ATE booster) the other day. Curious did you need to remove the washer under the nub on the end of the pump rod? I rebuilt the MC ~ 12-15 years ago and it's fine (not leaking). But can't remember if there is enough movement once unhooked from the booster to get the vac booster out. I'd like to avoid having to bleed the system.

I just installed one of those recently ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704213&highlight= ), and there was no washer under the pushrod tip, but unfortunately
the pushrod was too long.

If anyone has any movement at all in the m/c, they are using brake lines that are VERY different from mine. Maybe 1/2" of stiff springy action. Seems to be a severe risk of kinking the hardlines if you try to
do it with them still attached to m/c.

Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: New German Brake Booster Reply with quote

I have almost always gotten a booster in w/o opening fluid lines. I loosen the casting for the rear compensator from the frame since it’ll allow the master some upward/rearward movement. Be careful of that fragile plastic under the boot as you move it through the mounting bracket.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: