Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

Discovered a pretty excessive wear on oil pump gear ends where they slot in the cam gear grooves on three of my engines, is this normal wear or is there any other reason for that?
Except of changing them out for new ones, can new material be welded on and grinded to original shape again, will that be durable?
What would be the prefered welding option in order to ensure durability, MIG, classic gas weld or others?
Dennis
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dennis 356 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

Nada ??? No one knows ???

Last edited by dennis 356 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
szorti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

With oil pump gear wear in our engine, my mechanics checked camshaft and found excessive wear on it as well: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmuq9akPHIZMdUXs1

We just bought new oil gears and gave the camshaft to people who know how to weld and grind things like camshafts and heads.

There is quite big free play between oil gear seat in camshaft and oil gear (like from stock) and I think this may be the reason of excessive wear of those.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

if you're gonna try this yourself best bet is to tig it...walt from competition engineering 760 379 3879 in california fixes these....got this info from another site, so i have never used them for anything so this is not a recomendation and i have no idea of the price...here on the vw side new pumps are so cheap this is a non issue...
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

Thanks for replying guys, but new oil pump gears are so expensive I rather want to avoid that expence, and especially if there exists some kind of remedy for this. The wear is serious, sure, but again so small on both sides it has to be possible to fix instead of spending maybe $300-$400 plus overseas shipping for a new gear, that in my opinion is madness.

And I also have three of them (three engines) !!!

Dennis
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

I think there is an item called an Oldham coupling which can be used here, one of the parts places in the U.K. sells them as I recall. https://prs356.co.uk/porsche-parts/all/1/oldham-coupling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

alanhall wrote:
I think there is an item called an Oldham coupling which can be used here, one of the parts places in the U.K. sells them as I recall. https://prs356.co.uk/porsche-parts/all/1/oldham-coupling

Great tips alanhall thanks, but geee, the price again for that little gizmo is a killer !!!
Anyhow, better than $300-400.....

Dennis
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

Did no one really ever attempt welding on the oil pump gear end?

Dennis
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

szorti wrote:
With oil pump gear wear in our engine, my mechanics checked camshaft and found excessive wear on it as well: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmuq9akPHIZMdUXs1

We just bought new oil gears and gave the camshaft to people who know how to weld and grind things like camshafts and heads.

There is quite big free play between oil gear seat in camshaft and oil gear (like from stock) and I think this may be the reason of excessive wear of those.

Ops, just noticed the same kind of wear on all three of my camshafts, thanks so much for the heads up. Did check the cam slots earlier after spotting the wear on the oil pump gears, but guess never beeing aware of this issue before, I was too inattentive and just plainly missed it with my untrained eye.

Dennis
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

I´m of course mostly interested of whether this "bush repair" by welding on extra material on the oil pump gear and than grinding it down, has the potential to hold over a foreseable time period or if its totally nuts and meaningless?

Appreciate of course all the other suggestions and options, but ay, so costly.....

Dennis

Last edited by dennis 356 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
if you're gonna try this yourself best bet is to tig it...walt from competition engineering 760 379 3879 in california fixes these....got this info from another site, so i have never used them for anything so this is not a recomendation and i have no idea of the price...here on the vw side new pumps are so cheap this is a non issue...

Thanks for the heads up volksworld, but I´m on the other side of the pond, in Europe, thus best bet for me would be to leave it to someone locally.
Nice to know though there might be an option of fixing this by welding.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

might be useful price wise?

https://prs356.co.uk/porsche-parts/engine/39/oldham-coupling

Roy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

I would leave it alone until a full rebuild with a new cam and new tang gear drive etc..

Stop running that 20W50!
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive wear on oil pump gear ends, what to do? Reply with quote

[quote="Danwvw"]I would leave it alone until a full rebuild with a new cam and new tang gear drive etc..

Stop running that 20W50![/quote

This is a full rebuilt and the cams are still good, except these tiny irritating hickups on them....
I never run these engines, someone else did a long, long time ago before I bought them a couple of years ago.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: