Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Well, a big box arrived in North Devon, UK today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very excited to have these now. Cannot wait to see what they look like when installed.[/img]
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
Well, a big box arrived in North Devon, UK today.

I guess I will have to shut my yap when complaining about shipping to Alaska Very Happy

Looking forward to the install pictures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

They're on!

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Those are great looking bumpers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Pictures of the built-in lock box in the rear bumper

Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Those look great! Really like the color of your bus too. I would love to see more photos of the entire van with those installed.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
Those look great! Really like the color of your bus too. I would love to see more photos of the entire van with those installed.

Thanks. Once I get her, I'll take some more pics Smile She's a Libya import, arrived in the UK in 1988 and that's the original paintwork.
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Got mine on last week. Looked at friend's van with the GoWesty bumpers - you could dent those with a kick from a steel-toed boot, nevermind backing into a rock. So I went with these.

A bit heavier - 85-90 lbs. Very solid - will win any parking lot encounter. Cool compartment in back, though not sealed - will work on that. Great design for swing gates - 4 stop settings. Solid clasp and bushing to hold top of high spindle for skis or bike rack. Tire rack has holder for high lift jack. Can add a platform on the tire rack spindle. Very satisfied. Running 16 in new wheels and 2.3 L engine. A little noticable difference on steep Seattle hills, not so much on highway.

Waiting for the cap covers - they ran out and previous supplier broke his lathe. So will send later.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Those bumpers look great!
Some people call him Maurice...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

One of the nicer looking of the ones available for sure.

The reverse lights and fog lights are a nice touch.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Nice to see you went for the double swing arms. That's on my shopping list just not sure what, yet.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

$4-5k. Must be nice. These are the only aftermarket ones which fit my aesthetic requirement. All the beveled angles are important. All of the accessories seem wonderful. No mention of the gauge of steel. Because of the salt environment, I'd want mine hot dipped galvanized. Wonder if you can powder coat over galvanizing.

When I retire and have finished all 36,732 projects on the list, I'll build some out of rectangular steel tubing with all necessary plan view angles to meet the curve. Then fit the fiberglass over it so you have the look without all the work to grind and finish the welds. It can be boxier inside too. Wonder if there might be a market for that product There could be paper templates you would fasten to your fiberglass bumpers with photo fix so you would know where to cut the perfect holes for the various attachments.

Duncan
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Dear god! $5K for "bumpers"!? Adding expensive lipstick on a pig still leaves you with the pig. Investing money into our unique machines is better spent in areas that they lack; ABS, Air-Bags, power, gearing, braking, illumination, reliability from age degradation, ect. I never recall anyone saying, "Darn, I just got into a fender-bender and if I only spent that extra $5K I had sitting around on a massive overkill bumper set (not DOT approved and could ruin a insurance claim BTW), the car I hit would be less damaged".
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
$4-5k. Must be nice. These are the only aftermarket ones which fit my aesthetic requirement. All the beveled angles are important. All of the accessories seem wonderful. No mention of the gauge of steel. Because of the salt environment, I'd want mine hot dipped galvanized. Wonder if you can powder coat over galvanizing.

When I retire and have finished all 36,732 projects on the list, I'll build some out of rectangular steel tubing with all necessary plan view angles to meet the curve. Then fit the fiberglass over it so you have the look without all the work to grind and finish the welds. It can be boxier inside too. Wonder if there might be a market for that product There could be paper templates you would fasten to your fiberglass bumpers with photo fix so you would know where to cut the perfect holes for the various attachments.

Duncan

"36,732 projects"

The quartz crystal oscillates (vibrates back and forth) at a precise frequency: exactly 32768 times each second. Clocks use the quartz oscillation to measure time accurately.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

So does that mean if I could get a quartz shop with quartz tools, the entire project list would be done in less than a single second? That's a number I have to add to my otherwise list of unnecessary numbers.

Duncan
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
Got mine on last week.

Nice! Looks great.

Sure, $2,000 per bumper is a steep price. But I am sure these are super low-volume and probably made to order. For the design effort, build quality, and time going into each one, it's probably a fair value.

I like the RMW Twin Peaks bumpers when considering the price difference. The aesthetic is similar and the Westy World bumpers are too beefy unless you have a jacked Syncro IMO. I wonder how they compare in gauge and quality. The Westy World bumpers seem way more sturdy from my desk chair.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

Just for clarity - I just had a pile of safety and performance upgrades done - too many to list - hoses, belts, brakes, cylinders, front heater core, shocks/springs/bushings, solar, webasto, fridge, internal and external lighting, etc., etc.

The bumpers were the last line item to look into. From aesthetics and functionality - after looking at those of friend's - I decided to go with these. Pricey? A bit. But I'm very happy with the choice. Thanks.

Some details:

Bumper shell is constructed from higher quality cold rolled 3/16" steel and fully welded into a one piece unit for rigidity, strength, and safety.
· Single heavy duty D-ring mounts that have been welded inside & out of the bumper included.
· Optional dual welded double D-rings per side constructed of 1/4" steel. Fits All Terrain Tow Bar or 3/4” style Shackle
· Optional harness hole for hooking up vehicle in tow lighting if you plan on towing your westy.
· Optional flush mount fog lights holes that include the flush mount fog lights and hardware
· Optional front 2” receiver built in. (great for storing high jack lift, seat hammock, tow bar, bike rack…)
· Optional welded in side mount receiver for inside table, hammock...
· Optional pre-drilled winch bolt pattern mount holes can handle up to a 9500lbs winch
· Optional predrilled license plate holes.
· Optional powder coating all terrain
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Investing money into our unique machines is better spent in areas that they lack; ABS, Air-Bags, power, gearing, braking, illumination, reliability from age degradation, ect.

No comment on these or any other bumpers out there but this statement has me wondering why you even drive a Vanagon. ABS and air-bags? At what point do you decide that a modern vehicle is what you should be driving?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Dear god! $5K for "bumpers"!? Adding expensive lipstick on a pig still leaves you with the pig. Investing money into our unique machines is better spent in areas that they lack; ABS, Air-Bags, power, gearing, braking, illumination, reliability from age degradation, ect. I never recall anyone saying, "Darn, I just got into a fender-bender and if I only spent that extra $5K I had sitting around on a massive overkill bumper set (not DOT approved and could ruin a insurance claim BTW), the car I hit would be less damaged".

I think you need to recognize that we as a group have a huge spread of priorities for our personal unit.

I spend money on what we think is best for me.

For some it is gleaming paint, wheels and tires.
For others it is road worthiness, hoses, belts, radiator, etc.
some want bigger brakes and better lights.
Some want roof racks and bumpers.
Some want it all.

Not cool to mock another's choice.
If I had the disposable income I may opt for more bling...... maybe not.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Feedback on Westy World front and rear bumpers? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
1988M5 wrote:

I think you need to recognize that we as a group have a huge spread of priorities for our personal unit.

I spend money on what we think is best for me.

For some it is gleaming paint, wheels and tires.
For others it is road worthiness, hoses, belts, radiator, etc.
some want bigger brakes and better lights.
Some want roof racks and bumpers.
Some want it all.

Not cool to mock another's choice.
If I had the disposable income I may opt for more bling...... maybe not.

Dave

OP asked for input from folks who had these bumpers. Several of us complied. It's that simple.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: