Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: 1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap Reply with quote

Hello, I need help getting my project on the road. With any replies, please note which issue you are commenting on. Thanks

To give you some vehicle history, it is a 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet with a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L gas engine swap. The previous owner had one too many projects so I took this promising one off of his hands.
Issue 1: Interior:
It did not have an interior so I sourced a decent one, front bucket seats and rear bench seat. (resolved)
Issue 2: Wheel Center Caps:
OEM wheel center caps. I sourced 4 center caps for the wheels. When they arrived they were unfortunately too large in diameter by about a 1/2 inch. Thus, I measured the diameter that needed to fit and shaved down the plastic center caps using a dremel tool. Fit like a glove now. My wife said they look like they were made for it. I plan on painting the wheels and center caps eventually. (resolved)
Issue 3: Power Windows:
The windows were down halfway. I connected power from a battery to the window motor on driver side and was able to put the window up but it goes up too far. When I started digging into the passenger side, I had a bit more issues with. The window was off the regulator. I eventually got the regulator out without breaking the window and tested it before putting it back in. I successfully reinstalled the regulator in the door and used the battery to the window motor to put it up. Again, this goes up too far. I noticed that down in the door window cavity that there was a metal piece that looked like a "V" that had place for a screw to go in. The driver side door had it on the regulator but I have no idea how to adjust it without breaking something. Any help would be appreciated. (unresolved)
Issue 4: Manual Shift Linkage:
Shift linkage needs to be adjusted. I purchased a bushing kit and I have not yet installed it. cabby-info.com has step by step instructions on this process. (unresolved but on the radar)
Issue 5: Wheel Cylinder:
I am waiting on working on my brakes until I have the motor running. (unresolved but on my radar)
Issue 6: Exterior Trim:
I recently sourced all 6 trim pieces that are in decent shape but need some touch up rubber or paint. Any thoughts on which type of material/coating to use? (unresolved)

These next issues I need serious TLC advice with:
Issue 7: Instrument Cluster:
It did not have an instrument cluster or the trim to go around it. I sourced the trim pieces from where I got the interior. As far as the instrument cluster, I did my research before buying and since the cabby has an airbag, I needed to purchase one from the years 1990-1993. I purchased one from a seller that said that the cluster was tested before shipping and that he hasn't sold one with a non-working tach. After receiving it, I plugged in the wiring harnesses as well as the speedometer cable. I turned the key to the ignition to the on position and nothing lit up Sad I tried the dimmer switch near the headlights with no luck. I had an another headlight/dimmer switch I had swapped out with no luck. My next step is replacing the 3 "backlight" bulbs to see if that at least lights something up. Help! (unresolved)
Issue 8: Random Wiring Harnesses In Engine bay:
The engine bay has a couple of wiring harnesses that aren't connected to anything. I am assuming that with the conversion, there were wiring harnesses that were hopefully not needed. Once I take a few pictures I will post them to this thread. (unresolved)
Main Issue 9: Engine Is Not Starting:
The engine cranks but does not fire. The previous owner said that the wiring harness needed to be spliced to accommodate the swap. He showed me the video of when he had it running. He said that I needed a fuel relay. I looked at the fuse panel and noticed that there wasn't one plugged into the correct location. I sourced a relay and plugged it in. Again no luck getting it fired up. I unplugged it to see if the engine sounded any different when cranking it. It sounded the same. I double checked to see if there was gas in the car and since my instrument cluster isn't working to see the gas meter working, I added a gallon of gas. Again, no luck firing. Help! (unresolved)

I appreciate everyone that has taken the time to read and reply to my post. If you know anybody that would be able to add their input, I would be extremely grateful

Thanks.
Matt
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap Reply with quote

Got spark? If yes, spray starter fluid in TB, see if it fires. In terms of wiring, you may be dealing with 2 issues; what the PO did, forgot to tell you of, resulting in a now "buried" wiring hack somewhere, and your end of things in terms of wiring. My knowledge of the ABA Motronic is limited to 2.9 OBD1 install into a Vanagon but if you aren't seeing spark and/or FP relay isn't working, check out this page:

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/management/motronicvr6aba.html

The wires you need to focus on are grounds to engine management, 15 buss positive and 30/87 of fuel pump relay circuit, (that relay is switched on by a supplied ground from ECU) and other wires that power up ECU when key turned to 15. (It doesn't look like Motronic OBD2 needs a 50 crank signal) e.g. 15 buss voltage at ECU 23 wire. As installed in the '98, it looks like that wire is fused. Also, ECU 67 and 68 are from the RPM sensor (near flywheel and dizzy). The RPM sensor is needed for engine to start. IIRC, Bentley shows Ohm test for that sensor. The wires near sensor can get damaged over time. ECU 54 battery voltage is required to maintain settings like TB, ISV, etc. so would be good to ensure thats working now. Theres tons of info in the A3 Bentley including a test chart of items like the ones I mentioned. Once wiring is sorted out, search the 'net on how to do a throttle body alignment.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap Reply with quote

did this thread get cleaned up?

me and several others pretty much told you that you need to go over all the wiring.....

not knowing the donor, the recipient, etc etc only YOU can go over the diagrams.....wire by wire.

this isn't a "hook the blue one here and it will run" problem...this is an aborted project you bought and will need to figure out. not being rude, but it's the reality. hopefully you got it cheap.

and, depending how they wired it the mk3 FPR is different, and won't fit into the fuse box iirc.

seriously, you will need to learn this car, because no one will really be able to help you when issues crop up as opposed to a stock car

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap Reply with quote

You already have several other threads started about the same issues.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Cabriolet with 98 jetta 2.0L motor swap Reply with quote

Main Issue Resolved: Engine is turn key!!! I decided to go with a separate relay switch and not use the mk1 fuse box to power the pumps. I used a 4 pin relay with 85 pin connected to ignition power, 86 pin to “fuel pump turn on wire” from ecu, 87 pin to battery, and 30 pin to both of the fuel pumps. It started right up when I cranked it and when I purposely stalled it, the fuel pumps cut off. I double checked with my multimeter before start(0 zolts, after start(12 volts) and at stall(0 volts). I just need to clean the wiring up.

Instrument Cluster Issue Resolved: the cluster which i purchased, the seller said he tested it but upon further investigation, the black plastic protector on the connection harness was concealing a burned/fried pin connector. I contacted the seller and he fixed the issue. I also had to connect the tachometer wire from the cluster to the negative side of the ignition coil to get it working. I still have to double check the clusters alternator wire’s connection to the alternator.

Now that it is running, i can move onto other issues. I may tackle the shift linkage first and then the wheel cylinder with the brakes.

I will keep you posted on updates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: