Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Plate Angle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm replacing (finally) the spring plate/torsion bar bushings.
I'm wondering, however...
The workshop manual gives me the angle, but my right side is sagging about 4cm more than the left.

If I just follow the manual, i should theoretically be good, as spring steel - supposedly - as long as never reaching an excessive load, will remain as original (Shigley et al., 2003
Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-causes-springs-to-wear-out.519055/ )
Yay science. But, it wasn't sagging before.
Of course, it could be just the bushings LOL
Do I set it to factory spec, and hope for the best?
Should I add an extra degree down on the right, and go by trial-and-error?
Should I search for new torsion bars?
Should I give up on my beloved VWs and get a modern car? (Yeah... no. Not a real consideration)
Any opinions appreciated
TIA,
Chris
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

IF it was me, I would get the car up on jack stands & level, drop the spring plates off the bottom stop and get out the protractor before you remove them entirely. If there is a difference between them you will see it on the protractor. Adjust accordingly.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

I'm a little confused....you say "it wasn't sagging before".....before what? Have you already installed the new bushings and set the angle at stock, but one side is lower than the other?
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

Before, as in, I bought the car on 1987. Sagging only started in the last couple of years, and I haven't had the spring plate covers off.
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

I'll measure the angles when I replace the bushings, before pulling the plate from the splines. But it hasn't been altered (I've had the car since 1987).

And I suspect that even a weak spring will return to its original, no-load position when unladen. But, I could be wrong.

I'm just trying to line my ducks up before attacking this.

I'm smart. Smart enough to know that I can't know everything Smile

I appreciate the input; every bit is valuable Smile
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

chrisklinger wrote:
Before, as in, I bought the car on 1987. Sagging only started in the last couple of years, and I haven't had the spring plate covers off.

Got it. If it were me, I would start by setting both sides at the stock angle and go from there. If one side is a little off after this, I would drive it for awhile (~500 miles) to see if it settles in. If not, adjust as needed. It usually does take a couple of tries to get it just right.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

Plan on 2-3 iterations before you get it right after settling the suspension by driving a mile or so.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Plan on 2-3 iterations before you get it right after settling the suspension by driving a mile or so.

I guess my 500 mile break in period recommendation was a little excessive!
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle Reply with quote

Thanks a million guys Smile
I'm looking forward to slowly getting her perfect again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: