Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch shaft hook question?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Clutch shaft hook question? Reply with quote

Apparently, the length of the hook on our clutch shafts varied from year to year. There was a recent thread where one poster had an explanation for this—including why one hook was smaller than the other, which also included what part numbers designated which year part was required.

Does anyone know why clutch hooks went in 1973, I believe, from 2 1/2 inches to 2 inches?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch shaft hook question? Reply with quote

From what I've gathered there are three (possibly four) different clutch shaft hooks.
There is the one for early cars which is easily distinguishable because of an offset in the hook and there are at least two later ones that look the same but are different sizes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The part number of the darker hook is 111 172 305B. I am not sure of the letter designation of the silver hook.

I have no idea why there are different sizes other than the possibility of desired leverage.

As far as part numbers go, different vendors list part numbers for different years, they don't all agree.
Even ETKA lists the clutch shaft hook as 111 172 305C for all years back to 1947 which is not correct because the "C" variation would not have existed back then. Letters after part numbers indicate revisions in the part from what I understand.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch shaft hook question? Reply with quote

Fiddle, install the shorter clutch to the left in your picture, and let me know how it works.

Also, I PMed you.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch shaft hook question? Reply with quote

I'm curious how the clutch hook situation might manifest itself in our Bugs.

We seem to have different length hooks and different length trans levers potentially in our Bugs. And when you consider all the different owners and the mixing and matching of parts over the years, the likelihood of this is great.

In other words, if you had a shorter hook matched with a longer lever, would you still have enough throw to adjust and work your clutch properly?

Unless you know for certain your car is still unmolested from the factory, it might be a problem.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch shaft hook question? Reply with quote

Goober, I hear you.

As it stands, I have more than enough clutch action, which makes me wonder. In my 1974 Super Beetle, I do have the longer clutch arm at the transmission, but I can’t remember if you need a shorter hook with that, or the longer one.

I do know that in mid 1972, VW shortened the length of the clutch-shaft hook by 3/8 inch. Formally, the hook was 2&1/2 inch, and in ‘72, the length was shorted to 2&1/8 inch. The center of the eye of the hook was also closer to the center of the shaft by the same 3/8 inch.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: