Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front beam and sway bar....
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Front beam and sway bar.... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wondering what to do with sway bar, in the way of front bumper mount. Can it be heated and turned down or just removed. It will spend all of its time on pavement, so don't want to effect the handling.
Thanks,
William
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam and sway bar.... Reply with quote

IF you can keep it I would... It will help on handling... I actually run 3/4 inch ones front and rear...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam and sway bar.... Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure sway bar is made of spring steel, and heating would adversely effect its metalurgic properties. Probably better to re-fabricate bumper mounts, allowing space for sway bar motion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam and sway bar.... Reply with quote

What I did on my street rail was to remove the lower spring pack and replace it with a internal torsion bar. Same thing the formula V racing cars are using.
This also helps to soften the front end.
You can get the torsion bars here.
http://www.sracing.com/Store/FV_Stuff/FV_Stuff.htm

DWP
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam and sway bar.... Reply with quote

Doesn't Meyers recommend removing the front sway bar to make the front end softer?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam and sway bar.... Reply with quote

Yes Meyers recommends removing the sway bar on front beam for off roading.
It allows the suspension to move independently.
On the street it does not really work the way it suppose to because you have a less weight on the front in a buggy then a Bug.
I been driving the same buggy since 1970 that the sway bar was remove from the beginning and like the way it handles both on and of the road. It is a ball joint beam.
If you like to autocross, leave it on, but it will ride rougher on the street with it there.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: