Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas smell after refuel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

do yourself a favor and use a pressure washer on low to blast away crud before crawling under there

extra points for very hot water

hose down all fasteners with Kroil for 3 or 4 days before trying to crack them loose

think about what else needs doing under there (susp.; brake hoses & fluid; undercoating)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Use SAE 30r14 hose .

Available at FLAPS?

At many but certainly not all. Don't depend on the guys at the counter to know what they are selling. If it doesn't say 30r14 on it you don't want to use it.

Note that 30r9 is also okay but costs way more, 30r9 is for the pressurized hoses in the fuel injection system and while it will work for vent lines is overkill.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:

Let me know how many times you use profanity. I may put it off for a while.

It's really not a difficult job to drop the gas tank and replace all the grommets, hoses, etc.

It's even easier if you pay $200 for a new tank and install all the grommets into it before pulling your old tank (which may harbor decades of sediment and rust that are just waiting to plug your fuel pump).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

Now that you mention that, if doing it again I'd have sprung — pardoning the pun — for a new tank.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
DS1980 wrote:

Let me know how many times you use profanity. I may put it off for a while.

It's really not a difficult job to drop the gas tank and replace all the grommets, hoses, etc.

It's even easier if you pay $200 for a new tank and install all the grommets into it before pulling your old tank (which may harbor decades of sediment and rust that are just waiting to plug your fuel pump).

Keep in mind that there are 0 leaks, just the odor. I looked again this morning and still no leaks and the odor is gone. Surprising because the smell was pretty strong yesterday.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
Keep in mind that there are 0 leaks, just the odor. I looked again this morning and still no leaks and the odor is gone. Surprising because the smell was pretty strong yesterday.

Odor = leak

Mine was from the fuel sender on top of the tank. It couldn't be seen with the tank in place and only leaked enough such that the leaked gas would get absorbed by all the dirt and crud on the gas tank and never dripped all the way to the ground before evaporating.

As mentioned, it could be the evap system but you DO have a leak - at least one bad enough to allow gas vapors to escape.

Last edited by SCM on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

Mine smelled at only three times:

— Right after a fill-up

— After a drive with lots of turns

— When tank still reasonably full on a hot day

I suspect you're only losing fumes as well. I never saw a drop of gas.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

I will start small and change the expansion lines. If that's not the ticket I will get the tank kit and have a jolly ol' Sunday afternoon.
Thanks for the help all! Looking at the Bentley, VW sure didn't make this system simple.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

Thanks for your appreciation, that will serve you well here.

We'll be in the area in May, so if you like BSing and beering with Westy-types, lemme know. No such thing as too big a circle. Very Happy

— Colin Chapman
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

Its an easy job that you dont need to drop the tank for, unless you like that type of thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took these pics w my iphone. You can easily reach these areas from the wheel well.

I guess if your gauge isnt sealing there may be a reason to drop the tank but otherwise. It can be an easy job that you do from a short stool.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Its an easy job that you dont need to drop the tank for, unless you like that type of thing.

>SNIP<

I took these pics w my iphone. You can easily reach these areas from the wheel well.

I guess if your gauge isnt sealing there may be a reason to drop the tank but otherwise. It can be an easy job that you do from a short stool.

Really? Thanks for that,
I just assumed I'd need to drop the tank.
I want to change my fuel lines too.
Also possible with the tank in place?

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Thanks for your appreciation, that will serve you well here.

We'll be in the area in May, so if you like BSing and beering with Westy-types, lemme know. No such thing as too big a circle. Very Happy

Sounds good. I'm new to the Westy crowd so not sure of 'em or not. Assuming the community has kept the axe murderers to a minimum, I think that sounds fine.
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:

OK, so the only seal that requires a tank drop is the sender unit correct?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
Assuming the community has kept the axe murderers to a minimum, I think that sounds fine.

Axe murderers? Maybe in the air-cooled crowd. The vanagon community has mostly upgraded to chainsaws.
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
DS1980 wrote:
Assuming the community has kept the axe murderers to a minimum, I think that sounds fine.

Axe murderers? Maybe in the air-cooled crowd. The vanagon community has mostly upgraded to chainsaws.

Excellent news. More humane, but noisier. Overall a nice upgrade. I'm in. I only have 42cc. Will this be enough?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The vanagon community has mostly upgraded to water-cooled chainsaws.

http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

This topic took an unexpected turn.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

What happens when one attempts to buy another a beer. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1607069.jpg

Heres the full view. Two hoses and three grommets and the large sender. All but sender can be done w tank installed.

Go go gadget arms?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas smell after refuel Reply with quote

I've never been able to figure out why any of the big vendors don't have a truly "full kit" and here is my reasoning for wanting that:

when its time to do any of the lines, valves, T's, sender, or really anything at all, the other bits are either very close or actually in need of replacement already. Unless this is just the case where a recent job was done, and the clamp wasn't proper, or such, there is a very high degree of overall component decay.

I would seriously think any vendor would be wise to put a little button on each item description that points this kind of thing out. Those plastic T fittings for example.... just think how grumpy you'd get if you went to all the trouble of replacing all the line, and grommets, and rollover valves only to break one of those off just as you were about to raise the tank back into place?

I would sure like to see one of the big V's come out with a replacement tank that does not have (because the WBX engine'd units don't need) the valley. That valley was there for the air cooled vans if I remember correctly. I'd bet we could use the extra 3 or so gallons of fuel capacity!

So, end of gripe.

Kit would be:

Tank, grommets, gaskets, sender, hoses, rollovers, T's, straps and a "don't do something stupid" manual.

Also, it would be good for some vendor to retro the expansion tanks (wheel well), they seem to be NLA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: