Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Thank you Keith and thank you Paul,
@Paul you're right- I should. I admit I have become a bit obsessive with scratches... Cool
Thank you all for your warm words that help us keep up the spirit.
I plan to draw a line with scratches end of this week Rolling Eyes
The really fine ones will optically disappear when we apply wax (at least we hope) the bigger ones that for some reason the photos thankfully disguise we will trace today and eliminate them. The pre-wax condition will be like a new car that was washed in one of those old car washes that do not use soft clothes... after wax shall be flawless even when I look closer. Actually it is my colleague who always sees them Mad . The process of eliminating scratches would be much nicer if the car would not look like scrap during the process because you sand away all the shine at first...
However- I hope this will be history soon.
All my best
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

My only criticism is your choice of beer, Justus. I returned an alcoholic from a two year tour of Germany because I had to try the local brew at nearly every new Gasthaus I came upon.

Let me apologize for all the GIs that slurred their words and ogled your women. Cheers.

Jim
Manx #2614
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Popcorn WOW, spectacular job. I can't wait to see more progress.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Beautiful work Justus!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Jim: I did not hear any women complain to me Very Happy I see it this way: thank you for coming to Germany and being our good bigger brother in the world. I hope we can return to that some time soon. The world is going mad...
Squareweave: Thank you very much for your kind comment also- keep 'em comming Laughing
And Vince: You were right with all your concerns and good advice about Gel Coat vers paint- howvere now that it's done - I would do it again. The good result is more depending on once's abillity to suffer rather than painting skills Laughing Laughing
Perfect for beginners like me. Needless to say we are also very happy.
Now on to the rebuild- the fun part of putting nice parts back together and see it shine every day more. The down side is I now feel like I want to have a polishing cloth handy and in my pocket at all times Confused Cool Laughing
All my best from Wolfsburg
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I have a question:
should the original VW Beetle fender Gaskets be used between hood and fenders and if so do you use the front or the rear ones from the original, or is that up to everyones taste?
Any ideas welcome.
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

I’m in awe, that is just incredible work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi Bim55,
thank you for your kind comliment.

Today some updates on recent works:
started brake line assembly, put on new Gearbox,
later today we will continue with the front disc brakes and steering System
all my best
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

And oh yes, the engine also is back and waiting...
It is still Type 1 but completely rebuilt on a new housing, basically everything is new but historically correct, one could have built that engine in 1968 which allows me to have it registered as historical.
It is now a 2 Ltr with approx 140 HP and 200Nm torque- healthy tuning stage, should be still very drivable.
We left the gearbox ration as it was but changed the diff slightly.
We will see what it does

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

The story continues here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9012972#9012972
All my best and many thanks for all the great support and motivation so far
Justus
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Very nice! I would love to hear what that exhaust sounds like!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: