Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Congrats!! Very Happy
and I thougt being "road legal" is the easy part in the USA.
I already know that I will face HUUUGE problems getting mine on the Autobahn...
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi ,
some updates. It has been a while because I was travelling and working abroad. So far we have finished repairs from the down side and added some layers of glass to strengthen and achieve untouched condition. Also we noticed from above some spidercrack areas that we reinforced from below. Then painted. Next Chassis and upside body again.
All my best
Justus
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the Chassis after it has been chemically de-rusted and phosphated, then welded at VW classic center

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Also we did open the Tunnel from below, made everything rust proof from the inside and put in new tubes for all cables and gasoline.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Next we painted everything with Zinkdustpaint, then rust- protection paint.
After that we sealed all welding joints and other gaps with body seal.

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

After that finally black paint and start of re-assembly. Previously all frontaxle parts were compltely blanked, phosphated , all bearings replaced, measured and painted the same way.

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Here are some pics from the front axle

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

THe de-rusting picture from the axle body was taken in prtocess. I could not find total blanked picture but believe me it was Very Happy almost polished...
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Now back to the upper body while we wait for mor chassis parts to arrive or be finished.
1. Licenseplate area - not finished yet but on a good way Very Happy
We first glassed it in 3 thin layers from the inside (downside), then 8 or 9 layers from the outside, then plaster for raw shape. This is where we are today. Will need finishing touch of course.
Later today we will adress hopefully the last round before finishing on the famous bulb area from inside, battery bay and some patches and holes that needed attention. Basically the body will be pretty virgin before paint.
We reinforced all spider cracked areas where we could from below and also milled out from above with Dremel, then glassed them from above then plaster.
The holes we drilled out from both sides with a conical drill and then put plaster in it- worked out great.
Will post pictures later today or tomorrow.
All my best

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Very nicely done!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
You and I know how much blood, sweat and tears... Very Happy
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Nice work Justus!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Thank you Vince,
You have a lot to do with it! Very Happy
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
we are getting closer to painting the Gel Coat. It should arrive this week finally. Now we hazzle around with the pinholes.
The hood is our testing object and has already been primed. Today I will sand it again..
Do you have any suggestions on how to take the Gel Coat from Orange peel to shine best?
Tool or hand for sanding? We have an electric exenter grinder with 125 mm plate and 5mm travel. By a boatbuilder I was suggested to use a 150mm tool with 3mm travel- I think there are very few areas where I can actually use it- too many bends and edges.
Any suggestions and tips are highly appreciated.
All my best
Justus
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi Justus,
Gel coat finishing is very labor intensive and most of it has to be done by hand. You can use a DA (dual action) sander but with all the contour on the Manx body it is very slow going. You can also end up with "dips" (low spots) due to relatively small surface area on the sander.

Check with your local boat shop to see what they do. I have done one complete Manx in gel coat and would not recommend doing another because of how hard it was to get a smooth finish on it. This was with clear gel coat which is harder to work with than a colored gel coat.

I have used Dura Tech gel coat additive which allows you to spray the gel coat like paint. It tends to be much smoother than plain gel coat and is easier to sand and buff out.

http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Additives-Quart_D...rAQAvD_BwE

Not sure if it is available in Germany though.

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi Vince,
thank you for your feedback.
I know it will be tough. But we will go dowmn that road at least once Confused
I knew about the Duratec, good to hear you used it and can recomend it.
It is available in Germany.
I have the 3M HVLP Accuspray spray gun.
Which ratio did you mix it to the Gelcoat and what nozzle did you use @ what pressure?

All my best
Justus
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

As for the hand sanding my idea was to start with 180 grid, then 240, then 400,600, 1000 the polish.
What do you think?
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

I meant "then " polish, after the 1000 grid.
For polish I would use the 3m System
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

I think your idea of doing the hood will help give you an idea how to do it.

Depending on how bad the "orange peel" is dictates what paper to use. I would start with 220 wet sand paper. (you can always go down if needed) Put a little soap in a bucket and wash/wet paper off in it. It helps the paper from clogging and allows it to last longer.

As for spraying I used a 1.4 nozzle. You can use styrene to thin the gel coat and test to see what works in your environment. I do not recommend acetone to thin. It will not be as strong.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Dear Vince,
thank you for continiously helping me with good advice.
I have ordered the Duratec Hi Gloss and also have the Duratec thinner, I will play around with it. I also took a look at your topic "Rick's resoration" there is a lot of good advice in there.
You mix the Hi Gloss with the Gel Coat 1:1 right?
In your post you mentioned you used a 1.4 nozzle but in your Topic on Rick you said you drilled it out to 1.8mm. Would you recommend to thin everything down so it shots well with 1.4 or was that a mistake?
Next week we plan to shoot the hood with Gel Coat. Very exiting. I will post pictures after.
All my best
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: