Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

I've never gifted one but was on the receiving end of my 1st Bug - a '72 Standard my dad bought me when I started my 1st post-college job in 1985. He paid $1500. Got me from Miami to Chicago, parts of Oh and back. Drove it until my boss rear-ended me and totalled it on the way to work in Miami.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn, those '80s era cutoff jean shorts were a leetle too short! My girlfriend loved them though! Very Happy Twisted Evil

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

I never have gifted one either, but did take over ownership of my first Bug, at the age of 15. My 1955. Here it is, me pushing it back into the family's shop, a few days before paint went down.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

Victor, looking at that photo, I can see you haven’t changed a bit Rolling Eyes .

I had to pay for my first VW—a 1969 Karmann Ghia that I bought in 1969. It was the only new VW I ever bought. $2648.00–almost a thousand dollars more than the new bugs on the lot. My mother did co-sign for me, though.

As far as my current bug, my daughter doesn’t even like being a passenger in it, and she can’t drive a manual. When it’s belly-up for me, they’ll probably sell the Sun Bug for half its worth.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

My state goes by book value, check yours. My dad gifted me our old RV trailer, he had since I was a kid. It was a paperwork nightmare. Hindsight showed had he just sold it to me for $500 (low book value) I would have paid tax on that amount and been happily on my way.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I've never gifted one but was on the receiving end of my 1st Bug - a '72 Standard my dad bought me when I started my 1st post-college job in 1985. He paid $1500. Got me from Miami to Chicago, parts of Oh and back. Drove it until my boss rear-ended me and totalled it on the way to work in Miami.

Damn, those '80s era cutoff jean shorts were a leetle too short! My girlfriend loved them though! Very Happy Twisted Evil

I want that shirt, not so much the shorts lol.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

I want that shirt, not so much the shorts lol.

Crack me up. Yeah, I was a young, idealistic and poor social worker. Very Happy 'Fraid I busted out of that shirt about 20lbs ago. Very Happy It probably ended its life in the'80s as a cleanup rag during an oil change!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Has anybody ever gifted their Beetle to a family member? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
These cars are not investments, if you want to get her an investment buy some Vanguard (VFIAX) funds Wink

This is an emotional connection for you both, which she will cherish into the future. Do it!

These vintage beetles seem to hold their value pretty good around here...

No real conncection with this car at all....I just bought it in Nov 2017...I just know she has always wanted one...she is like 4 hours away from me now...I am hoping she will be able to keep it once I am done with the fixing up of it...she also lives in a real rural area too...where these Beetles feel much more at home I am sure...

Cant wait to see the look on her face when I hand her the keys...

MikeC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: