Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Has anyone mounted the ABA Motronic throttle body turned CW (toward passenger side) 90º or 180º ? If yes, have you found that the TPS has gotten heat damaged by exhaust heat?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

So I mounted it at 90º 180º and 270º CW

At 270º cable routing would suck; it would likely have to route under intake upper plenum. Indexing the cable cam doesn't appear to be easily done if at all.

My reasons for trying this:

- make use of a "stock" ABA cable
- keep stock WBX cable position straight; no added friction between cable and sleeve. Over long term use, might be important given age of cable?

Some pics

TB turned 90º

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If a simple extension bracket were made, it looks possible to "easily" mount the stock Mk3 cable bracket to one or both of the threaded holes shown. On my other TB, those holes aren't threaded but could be I assume.

Sorry for not measuring. From exhaust manifold to TPS housing

I'd have to make a bracket for end of Mk3 cable but length looks good (red arrows point to end of each cable)

didn't mount intake with TB mounted at 180º but cable length would likely end up being short. However. I'd be installing a new length of cable and barrel clamps.

TB CW at 270º Not really feasible

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

you can solve the heat concerns with a heat shield.
make sure it shields against any (in)visible infra red radiation.

though it's alot of work to make a makeshift cable.
some of us make throttle cables from teflon lined bicycle housing and the thin SS marine cable. at any length necessary.
buy twice as much cable as you think and measure twice before you cut.
get the metal ferrels to cover the cut ends. I use a awl to reopen the housing after I cut it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Brake-Cable-...XQlgtSp6ob

hope this helps consider some options..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Also check out the cables FAS offers for the Tiico and inline kits. They may do exactly what you want for not crazy money IMO.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Dan and John.

Part of the idea is to leave the WBX cable in its' OE position so it remains moving in a straight line and adapt an "off the shelf" cable to that. (this is what I did on my 15º ABA). That van still has the same air cooled throttle cable as it came to me back in 2007. I've put a lot of miles on that cable.

Maybe I'm guessing wrong here but I think some swaps see that WBX cable repositioned at an angle which to me, may not seem ideal.

I always recall Larry Chase' Suby converted Syncro suffering a failed (I assume) WBX throttle cable. That in mind, I have to wonder if it was simply b/c the WBX cable was old OR if it was repositioned to accommodate the swap thus rubbing more where it normally wouldn't have.

post edited.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Well, with the TB rotated 180º, the Mk3 cable took a poor "tight" "S" shape, ran over intake (which just bumps engine lid as-is) and cable contacted less of the plastic throttle cam slot than it did in OE position. Cable likely would've stayed in the slot but I went to Plan B.

edited

Not enough room to start a nut on bolt end shown. As I'd mentioned, this was a test part. There may be other mount points close by to position pulley roughly where shown. (with a different bracket of course)

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Finding a longer throttle cable for the engine might be another option. I'm using one from a 1998 or 1999 New Beetle 2.0. It's long enough to go from the throttle body down to the automatic transmission with a few inches to spare.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Hi Neil. I am running the stock diesel throttle cable with just the end of the mk2 cable attached to it. It’s the original cable with lots of miles on it bends and all. It’s a easy way to do it. But your way will work to.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

thanks vwfreek and westyrabbit.

In a vain attempt to find an "every person" solution, I've made this more complex than needed. However. I'd still like to keep the WBX cable in its' OE position.

John: great to know you've put lots of miles on your accelerator cable. Does it run in the OE position or was it moved? Maybe that detail's shown in your restoration thread.....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS "Flip" ABA Throttle Body? 50º Engine Conversion Reply with quote

Ok. Ditched the pulley idea in favour of something more "standard".

This is obviously a mock up and I'll be adding a brace and redoing the bracket shown. My ABA block has an unused threaded boss near oil cooler. Bracket as shown is mounted there. I think the Mk3 cable I'm using is for a manual transmission Jetta. TB is mounted in OE position, cable routes near ISV then under intake between 3/4 runners. I may build brace between new bracket and WBX bracket which could also provide a spot to secure RPM and knock sensor cables.

Yes, I twisted the WBX cable bracket but in hindsight, I think I'll straighten it out a little then remove material from bottom so it can be turned CCW toward driver side a little. The way its bent now puts a bend on the WBX cable sleeve.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

Hi Neil. The diesel throttle cable just attaches to the injection pump so only minor rerouting of the cable is necessary. I have had another big project come up(40 or 50 hours) over the last few weeks on the side. So I have not been able to reply to post but I finished that tonight. If you need measurements let me know.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

this small pile of common bicycle parts from EBAY will create you a throttle cable at any length. and you can always buy new cable at any hardware/marine supply store.
where you can't buy a WBX cable while on the road..

spool up 25ft in a ziploc and toss in the bottom of the closet in case.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Hi Neil. The diesel throttle cable just attaches to the injection pump so only minor rerouting of the cable is necessary. I have had another big project come up(40 or 50 hours) over the last few weeks on the side. So I have not been able to reply to post but I finished that tonight. If you need measurements let me know.

danfromsyr wrote:
this small pile of common bicycle parts from EBAY will create you a throttle cable at any length. and you can always buy new cable at any hardware/marine supply store.
where you can't buy a WBX cable while on the road..

spool up 25ft in a ziploc and toss in the bottom of the closet in case.

Hi John. Thanks for the offer but I think I'll be ok with this current plan so no measurements needed. But I see what you mean.

On my current 1981 15º ABA (daily driver) I have a rather overbuilt bracket I'd made some years ago to adapt the Mk3 cable to the air cooled cable. This left the air cooled cable more or less in the OE position. On this current swap on my 1988, I plan to do something similar as shown in my previous post.

Dan. Thanks. One of my first Vanagon parts purchases was for my '81; a throttle cable. I also carry a used spare cable in my '88. But I get it; why not make a one piece new cable right?

"overbuilt" bracket on my 15º ABA:

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

Not done yet and I'm hoping one bolt holding bracket to block will suffice but we'll see if it holds up. Bracket at engine was a tight fit with multiple bends. Took some time. I brightened these images but it seems google changes them so sorry. Not the best pics.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

Saw this post while searching for another.

To report back:

No issues so far using the bracket shown. It's secured to block with one bolt, but has not come loose. The throttle cable running closer to engine (heat) does not appear to be getting damaged.

Though the bend to accommodate the oil switch connection causes the bracket to be quite close to the oil breather, I'd suggest its' small size, location (cable routing) make it not a bad idea. The added brace at back side is likely not needed.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

Good to know this tips cant wait to get to that part Shocked Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

for those looking to a full new DIY cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Metres-Motorcycle-Diy-Th...4229011837

vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

I suppose if we are looking for throttle cable ideas I might as well post mine.

I started with a cable kit from Revival Cycles.
https://shop.revivalcycles.com/revival-cycles-signature-universal-throttle-cable-kit/

It cost more than the ebay kit but I suppose it does come with a few more pieces.

I started by modifying the accelerator lever on the trans so it would accept the spring mechanism from the stock 2.1 WBX throttle body.

I then built a bracket to hold the cable at the transmission end.

After modifying and using most of the adjuster bits from the kit I was able to connect the cable from the throttle body to the lever on the trans.

I will say that working with the cable was not super easy.

I did a test run trying to solder one of the ends (as suggested by Revival) on a piece of the cable I cut off and it really did not work that well.

I ended up using my tig welder to weld a little blob on the end to keep the end from sliding off.

Of course the cable is coated so the tig welder did not really like that so much but I managed to make it work.

I still need to make a little bracket that secures the cable a little better about midway through its length and it should be good to go.

I apologize if my pics and explanation are not really all that helpful but these are just random pics I took and not really meant to explain the whole process.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

for the ends on my DIY cables I crimp
I crimp small cable ferrules
or I use an aluminum rivet I push the pin out of the center to retain the hollow aluminum collar and crimp the barrel portion

vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Was: "Flip" Throttle? 50º ABA. Now: Throttle Cable Idea Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
for the ends on my DIY cables I crimp
I crimp small cable ferrules
or I use an aluminum rivet I push the pin out of the center to retain the hollow aluminum collar and crimp the barrel portion

Hmm yes I even have a crimper meant to crimp those things on cables.
Don't know why I never thought to try that.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: