Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Note there are cascading modifications here. Bigger steel wheels, then reduced stopping power which was restored by changing to bigger aftermarket brakes.

Every van owner has the option of returning to the OEM engineered combination of 14" wheels (steel or alloy) and OEM brakes. But if you've 'disposed' of these original items it makes 'going back' much more difficult. Or if you've become attached to your aftermarket steel wheels.

It's great that GoWesty has larger data-gathering ability and able to narrow the symptoms to steel wheels and perhaps over-tightened lugnuts.. And the ability to notify large number of van owners. Lets not extend their responsibility too far.

TO extend their liability to the person who might at future, install steel wheels is like extending it to someone who might overtighten lugnuts. Or crack the disc by overtightening just one. Or stress it by driving with one MISSING one lugnut. Or,,, or,,, or. the possibilities increase exponentially to the obvious answer of.......

....any modifications to OEM is too risky. OEM all the way!!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Quote:
Lets not extend their responsibility too far.

They don't get to pick and choose. Within the reasonable parameters of customer modifications, which include changing wheels and tires at will, this defect imposes an unreasonable safety hazard to every purchaser of the product and to other drivers on public roads.

Most of the commenters here so far already grasp the issue quite well.

If you like GW and want them to remain in business to serve your fascination, you would support them doing the responsible thing, which they have offered to do, instead of parsing the question to satisfy your own questionable standards. And they had better avoid trying to screen purchasers who make a claim for replacement rotors or hubs by asking whether they run alloys or steelies, because any one can change what they run at any time, a lot of folks already run different wheel/tire sets summer vs. winter. And of course there's the future owner problem as well, does the warning have to travel down the road with the vehicle forever? Who enforces that?

No, to protect their company from the broad liability this presents, they have to notify every purchaser they can and make good on every part. A single accident damage claim could devour the company in legal fees alone.

I'm glad you're not in business serving a vehicle aftermarket.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Nothing really new in the world of vehicle modifications.

Pretty sure this is why manufactures' "warranties" are voided when you lift your 2018 Tundra and run 35"'s on the street, or lower your brand new Civic and add 18 degrees of negative camber to the rear to squeeze in a 9" wide rim...etc, etc.

Do these manufactures of aftermarket parts incur liability - sure - some. Does the shop that installed your lift kit incur liability - sure - some. In today's world of shifting blame for a possible mistake away from yourself - the finger pointing takes on a life of its own very quickly.

Obviously, if a vendor takes on the business of making (don't know who makes the GW rotor) and installing such a thing as brakes then even more so. Most probably bought an aftermarket brake kit with the intention of improving braking in the first place, in other words - to improve safety. Is the GW rotor made as an aftermarket rotor specifically for use on VW Vanagons?? Or, just an aftermarket rotor that GW decided "will work" with their kits??

But, I remember, back in the day, I built my '67 Beetle's engine into such a monster that I couldn't stop the car. I (actually my local speed shop) installed Porsche 930 turbo disc brakes which "solved" my problem. That said, I think if I had ran straight into a neighbors wall while foolishly drag racing down my street Porsche would probably not have accepted much liability, if any.

In today's world of civil litigation it is all about reducing the percentage of your, or your company's, responsibility. You can most likely not get out of all of it as most bad things that happen now days always has to be someone else's fault. In other words - it's all a grey area.

I hope very much that GW comes out ok. But, I hope even more that their customers stay safe and are taken care of as well.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

1. GW takes a risk selling mission critical parts like re-engineered brakes, brake lines, etc to install on 30 year old vehicles. We shouldn't reasonably expect they have the resources an OEM has when engineering a brake design. That means there is bigger chance that design flaws will emerge (like this one) over time.

2. We should recognize we are taking a risk when using parts like this.

3. The community of GW customers who have these parts should soberly consider how to proceed. As others have mentioned, if just a sliver of the legal ramifications were to hit GW, it could easily bury the company. It seems like as a customer, I have two options.
A: Choose to run the redesigned disc and spacer knowing full well it may not have removed all the risk of failure.
B: Remove the upgrade entirely, potentially ask for a refund, and run OEM instead.

4. If we want to continue to enjoy 3rd party vendors that engineer new parts for these vans, we have to carefully walk the line of safety and risk management. Too far in one direction and we'll shutter all the exciting products they offer with any hint of liability. Too far in the other direction and someone may get hurt.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

If I were piece mealing a girling big brake kit on my own using parts I found at a pick n pull I would understand that I would be taking a risk.

If I am purchasing an upgraded big brake kit I think it is unreasonable to say hey you are taking a risk on this purchase. I don't want to feel like I am taking a risk when buying brake components. I think we are paying the extra cost of getting a put together kit so we don't have to worry about that stuff.

Last edited by elizer on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Precisely, Eli.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

+1 on Eli's comments.

The comment from Lucas that stood out for me was, paraphrasing, "We've sold thousands of big brake kits." If he meant that to show stability over the product line, fine. But the idea of warranting those "thousands," time four brakes and rotors each, is staggering.

I do not wish them harm at all, rather I admire their tenacity but have long questioned when reading here and elsewhere if such things have been thoroughly tested (like my saggy lifter springs).

I've also long felt that supporting only the biggest players not only puts our parts streams at risk, but also makes it impossible for competitors to grow. And I mostly don't like any company's market share being too high.

The irony is any suggestions as such made here have met with mass resistance... until now. But I genuinely wish them -- and all who are affected by this mess -- the best.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

If GoWesty originally advertised this big brake kit as-
"For use with allow wheels only or it will break (not brake)."

I don't think GW would have sold any kits.

I am certainly not a GW hater (a lover in fact) and want them to continue forever but this is not a decorative item, this is a safetly issue for the passengers and others on the road. My future van purchases will depend on how this plays out.

GoWesty's "alloy clause" seems like a business decision in hopes that those with alloys make the personal decision to not participate in a recall.
I wonder how the law reads on where liability would fall if the next owner put on steel wheels (unaware of this recall) and killed someone?

Even if it cost me full price to replace with another kit, I'd pull mine if I had them.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Pretty clear to me where the law would fall on the alloy clause...

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

That GW notice mentions that it also applies to 4wd/Syncro kits which means that the hub supplied with 2wd kits isn't the key element of the problem. To me that means fixing it with different hubs wouldn't be the correct approach. That leaves redesigning the rotor or implementing a spacer to give the needed extra clearance between the rotor and the wheel. So it sounds like they are trying to do the right thing in the best way possible. I'd love to closely compare one of the replacement rotors to a problematic one to see exactly what was done.

Mark
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I'm glad you're not in business serving a vehicle aftermarket.

I''m glad too. It's a rough environment out there. You have to charge more for products to pay for the insurances. To cover the risk of problems,,,, and protection from outright plunder by lawsuits. A manufacturer who has purchased the necessary insurances simply has to charge more for their products. It basically costs everyone more money to increase public safety AND protect your self from pirate's plunder in the courtroom.

This reminds me of rear disc kits that cause another safety problem (the parking brake delete). Parking brake is a significant safety item. If your mom borrows the van and pulls the parking brake, she should then be able to have a picnic on the ground with her grandkids in front of the van. Right?

A similar issue, but with no visible crack failures.

GoWestly lists 4 broken rotors attributed to steel wheels and located the problem where the cast-iron disc is un-supported. It's as clear as day (once the problem has been identified (cracked discs). But do they really know that EVERY alloy wheel's contact area is flat?

In any case I think they've done well to notify steel-wheel owners of this incompatibility. To publically announce back-support for those customers who uinknowingly combined their aftermarket brake kits with (possibly OEM, possibly aftermarket) steel wheels is a good thing.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
That GW notice mentions that it also applies to 4wd/Syncro kits which means that the hub supplied with 2wd kits isn't the key element of the problem. To me that means fixing it with different hubs wouldn't be the correct approach. That leaves redesigning the rotor or implementing a spacer to give the needed extra clearance between the rotor and the wheel. So it sounds like they are trying to do the right thing in the best way possible. I'd love to closely compare one of the replacement rotors to a problematic one to see exactly what was done.

Mark

The more I look at this the more it becomes clear that it is a problem with their steel wheels, not necessarily just their brakes.

The outer mounting pad (or ring) on their steel wheels that mates to the brake rotor is quite a bit further outboard from the centerline of the lugs compared to a VW or Mercedes steel wheel. Combine that with the fact that neither a Syncro or any South African style hub supports their rotors properly and you have a recipe that led up to what is happening now.

However, according to GW's own blurb -

"One customer reported a failure of a rotor that was not a GoWesty rotor; rather, it was a big brake rotor used by another supplier of big brakes for Vanagon."

- this would seem to indicate that their steel wheels may not be safe when used with any aftermarket brake kit, let alone their own.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:

The outer mounting pad (or ring) on their steel wheels that mates to the brake rotor is quite a bit further outboard from the centerline of the lugs compared to a VW or Mercedes steel wheel. Combine that with the fact that neither a Syncro or any South African style hub supports their rotors properly and you have a recipe that led up to what is happening now.

However, according to GW's own blurb -

"One customer reported a failure of a rotor that was not a GoWesty rotor; rather, it was a big brake rotor used by another supplier of big brakes for Vanagon."

- this would seem to indicate that their steel wheels may not be safe when used with any aftermarket brake kit, let alone their own.

Here are some pictures of other steel wheels to get an idea of the contact area of the wheel to the rotor or drum. It would be great to see an image of a GW steel wheel to compare.

OE VW 14" steelie:
back
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

front

Mercedes 15" steelie:
back

front

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

This email should have been sent to all those who bought the Bigger Brake kit. They don't know what wheels are on the vans, only which owners bought the brakes.

That said, my van has 15" alloys and the only problem I've had is with a defective rotor (thumping problem that moved with the rotor when swapped). The replacement rotor eventually developed the same problem. In looking at the rotor, there was purple line seen through the wheel spokes. Sanding that line a bit diminished the thumping and eventually disappeared altogether as the rotor was worn in (others encountered the same issue, but swapping brake pads resolved their issue).

Don't know where they're made now, but my rotors were made in India. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

I think you're saying you *did* buy the Bigger Brake kit, right Kam?

If so, your not being sent the letter is unacceptably uncool... while I've tried to be supportive of GW here, I'm finding it increasingly harder to do so.

— Colin Chapman
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I think you're saying you *did* buy the Bigger Brake kit, right Kam?

If so, your not being sent the letter is unacceptably uncool... while I've tried to be supportive of GW here, I'm finding it increasingly harder to do so.

Sorry if my post was unclear Embarassed ... I'm in pain today, so it's affecting my brain. Laughing

Yes, the Bigger Brake kit was installed on my van several years ago (which has 15" alloys) and, yes, I did receive the quasi-recall email from GW.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

A likely excuse which I'm inclined to accept. Wink

(Kidding of course, hope the pain is manageable!)

Good to hear you got the email, Thanks. Cool

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

I'm happy with how GoWesty is handling it thus far.

I just placed an order with them and left a note to include my replacement rotors and spacers to offset shipping costs and show my support.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

as a guy who has done probably 20, maybe 30K brake jobs in my automotive career I can tell you this....

some janky spacer is NOT a solution. the hat section on the rotor must sit flush on the mounting pad of the hub.

most don't know (or never noticed) but when you look at OEM brakes, the distance between the hub pad and the o/d of the rotor hat is usually 5-7mm
(if you live in the rust belt, you've probably cursed this as you beat the hell out of the rotor to remove it)

this sounds like a perfect storm for litigation. they probably use some off the shelf rotor....I can't imagine they have them "made" for them. if they do, they should have had the hat section close to the hub.....even at that, it's a Band-Aid.

the real fix is a hub that backs up the hat section of the rotor. if they were smart, they would issue a recall and refund everyone the purchase price of the parts. all it takes is one accident to clean them up in court, and sue them straight off the planet

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty Bigger Brakes: Product Safety Notice Reply with quote

Dont mean to thread-hijack, but I have some 16" steel wheels (from another company) on stock brakes. I had one of the wheels come off on me (thankfully I was only going like 10mph at the time and I heard them squealing before pulling safely to the side as the lugs snapped and the wheel came off. I took it to a VW specialist shop and they had seen the problem before with these steel wheels. It was due to the powder coating on them. It doesn't let the lug nuts bite into them properly.

Not exactly the same problem, but when people start blaming these steel wheels, it makes my ears perk up... these definitely aren't the safest choices for our vans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: