Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front hood hinge pin replacement or hinge replacement
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Front hood hinge pin replacement or hinge replacement Reply with quote

There is slop in my front hood passenger side windshield to hood hinge.

Has anyone replaced the pin in that hinge with a larger one or replaced one side of the windshield hinge? I believe the hinge is welded to the lower front windshield frame.

Thanks
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Front hood hinge pin replacement or hinge replacement Reply with quote

Here are the photos of the hinge on my drivers side-there are a total of 6 loops: 2 for the latch on the hood; 2 for the part attached to the lower windshield frame; 2 for the part that bolts to the body.

If you view my photos you can see that the 6 loops are not at the same height to one another as I assume they came from the factory. Either the loops have bent over the years creating slop (don't appear to be fully welded) or the pin has worn.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1780506
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1780507
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front hood hinge pin replacement or hinge replacement Reply with quote

I think you'll find that they are all this way...at least now after 40+ years. The loops on the cowl bracket part of the hinge and the loops on the windshield bracket part of hinge do not perfectly align on any Thing.

Unless you are having an issue with the operation of the hinges I would not worry about it. Personally I never lower my windshield or remove my doors since I have no real reason to do so. Just because I can does not mean I need to.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Front hood hinge pin replacement or hinge replacement Reply with quote

The problem with mine is that the passenger side is so loose that you can stand next to the hood when it is closed and lift up and the hinge moves.

There is wear dust from metal to metal wear underneath the hinge and it squeaks when going over certain bumps in the road. The pin is so loose I can push it slightly from side to side.

I was looking at replacing with a stainless pin. I am not sure what the size would be. I would have to remove the existing pin from the hinge (grind one lip off one side and remove with a drift). Then I would have to size a new one and install.

I guess other option are to get a used good hinge from Mike Basso and spot weld it in, or go with a Thing Shop bottom frame assembly with stainless hinges (but they have been out of stock for a while).

If anyone knows the correct hinge pin diameter please let me know.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Front hood hinge pin replacement or hinge replacement Reply with quote

Maybe something useful here?

https://www.mcmaster.com/pins

I noticed the oversized and undersized dowel pins, you could have and assortment of close sizes ready for fine tuning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: