Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 stock vacuum advance
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

I have a stock carb and want to know where on the carb to put the vacuum line from the distributor?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

apba12m wrote:
I have a stock carb and want to know where on the carb to put the vacuum line from the distributor?

I have a '74 with a stock 1600 DP and 34 PICT 3 carb. The vacuum line for mine is on the vac port on the left side of the carb when looking at the engine.
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
apba12m wrote:

I have a '74 with a stock 1600 DP and 34 PICT 3 carb. The vacuum line for mine is on the vac port on the left side of the carb when looking at the engine.

Same on my 73.
livy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly where you are coming from. I know everyone says to put it on the left side of the carb. BUT on my stock 73 the engine will not run smoothly connected there. I put mine on the carb tube coming out toward you (as you are looking at the engine) and it seems to pull better going up hills and runs smoother at idle. I know it is wrong but it works on mine. I've tried it many times and each time it will not good connected anywhere but there. Go figure
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This leaves me in a quandary guess I will try hooking up a vacuum gage. wish the service manual had a picture....
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apba12m wrote:
This leaves me in a quandary guess I will try hooking up a vacuum gage. wish the service manual had a picture....

What is the quandry? Hook it up to the left side. If it works you are done!
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its California only that has a double-sided vacuum advance and retard unit with two hoses. IF that is the case, one is connected to the left side (venturi) and the other is fed from manifold vacuum. If the unit in question has two fittings, that might be the source of confusion.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things (US 181) were supplied from the factory with one of two distributors. 1973 Things have 113 905 205AN and 1974 have 043 905 205C. Both are dual vacuum dual advance distributors and have the same timing characteristics. The 74 unit just carries an updated part number. Other markets had different distributors depending on a variety of factors such model year, factory options (M63 for example), engine, and carburetor.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is a stock 74 engine this thing has only 7000 miles on it and the lines are the same ones that came from the factoy and have been changed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a 181 with A/C! Can you post a pic of the evap unit?

citroen wrote:
ok this is a stock 74 engine this thing has only 7000 miles on it and the lines are the same ones that came from the factoy and have been changed

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok it is a 74 and it also has fresh air, gas heater, and ac.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the condenser? Does it use electric fans?

I have a somewhat related question. With the H30/31 replacement carb and Mexi-Bosch 043 905 205 ZB distributor, which vacuum port (of many) has the correct signal? Thanks.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in front of the axle beam with small fans

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it looks like this i would use the front tube with the red cap for the rear on the dist the large tube and the small one on the side for the small one on the dist.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper carburetor nipple for the vacuum advance will have ported vacuum, no vacuum when the throttle is closed, but manifold vacuum as soon as the throttle is opened a bit. Yes an engine may run smoother at idle when the advance can is hooked straight to manifold vacuum. If you lug your engine a lot like running very slowly over ruts and such then using straight manifold vacuum to the advance can may improve performance a bit. Normally the retard can should be hooked up to straight manifold vacuum, but this assumes that the retard still holds vacuum, if it leaks then remove the hose from the carburator and plug the fitting on the carb.

A carburetor set up for use with a vacuum retard distributor may not idle down correctly and may sputter off idle if the retard can is not used or is not serviceable. There are simple fixes for this.
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this terrific study of late VW carbs and vacuum advance.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

citroen
I So want that A/C compressor mount!!!

Have you ever thought about having that mount recreated
Because you can mount it in the same place and instead of using it as air conditioner you can actually use it as an air compressor being that it does not get its lubrication from the freon
That means you could have air ride as well as if you had at least a 2 or 3 gallon tank hidden somewhere you could run air tools off of it

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

Yes i have an extra mount....
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CRM114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

Glad you posted a picture and since it’s basically never been messed with it adds more credibility. I have read and seen many contradictions and it’s frustrating to ask a simple question and get replies that are totally wrong to screwy and dangerous advice.
CRM114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 stock vacuum advance Reply with quote

Glad you posted a picture and since it’s basically never been messed with it adds more credibility. I have read and seen many contradictions and it’s frustrating to ask a simple question and get replies that are totally wrong to screwy and dangerous advice.[/list]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: