Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended standard wheel paints and suppliers?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Recommended standard wheel paints and suppliers? Reply with quote

I've had a search around the forum and couldn't see anything specific unfortunately so apologies in advance if that has been covered elsewhere.

I'm looking to get my 67 bugs wheels 2-toned in the correct colours, but was wondering what type(s) of paint people were using and where they got them from. I'm based in the UK but the trade name may still be available here if you can buy it in the US?

The car was originally zenith blue so colours should be L680 cumulus white outer and a very dark grey/light black LD43.

The car is currently black which would be LD43 and L282 lotus white outer.

Where would you suggest getting the paints from? I would like to brush paint them on as have never been keen on rattle cans.

Any info gratefully received. Very Happy
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended standard wheel paints and suppliers? Reply with quote

I like to use normal everyday single stage (2 part) automotive paint on wheels. Sandblast, prime, prep and paint.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended standard wheel paints and suppliers? Reply with quote

Hi Darrel, is that paint safe to use without a breathing mask?

I'm not too sure what 2-stage paint is as have used the likes of Hammerite Smooth before with a paint brush and have been pleased with the results, but the wheels I've always painted before have been silver which is available off the shelf.

Is Rustoleum another option? I've heard of people using it on bodywork but not on steel wheels? I think if I can get the RAL codes for the above colours I can get them to tint it for me.

Edit: Just checked the Rustoleum combicolour range and there's over 200 different colours available, so if anyone knows the RAL's for the colours listed in my first post that would be very helpful.

I see they do matt, satin, and gloss finishes but I'm not sure what the finish would have been equivalent to the OG paint? Satin perhaps?

Thanks.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended standard wheel paints and suppliers? Reply with quote

I always use a mask. Its not safe w/o.
2 stage paint is what you paint cars with, requires reducer and catalyst.
I have sprayed rustoleum from the quart can its a step above rattle can, it doesn't dry as hard as "real paint". Rattle can does not last or stand up to environment, weather....
If you dont have a set up to paint (compressor, gun, mask, know how)....I would have the wheels sand blasted and take to a paint shop that can do it proper. It will last longer and you will be happier with the results.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended standard wheel paints and suppliers? Reply with quote

Thanks Darrel. That's actually not a bad idea about getting a shop to do the lot that does it all the time.

There's quite a few around not so far from me, and as long as I give them the RAL codes there's no reason why they couldn't do it, hoping that the price isn't too horrendous of course!

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: