Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front seat dimensions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Front seat dimensions Reply with quote

Yeah, I know, another seat topic. I swear I searched, and didn't find a good answer to this question.

Background: My '74 came with front seats that were claimed to have been from a 280Z. They've got the sliding part of the seat tracks bolted to the bottom, but not perfectly - one of the crossmembers is cut, and several years ago when I tried to install 72 Beetle highbacks I discovered that the tracks themselves are not correct.

The other day, the backrest for the driver seat busted at the left recliner hinge, in a way that's beyond my ability to fix. So now I'm looking for new seats. I'm planning to use a set of slider mounts from Moore Parts, and buy seats on Craigslist. So to my question:

What dimensions will fit? Obviously the width is the biggest worry, but I'm also a little concerned about thickness. I plan to leave the rails in place, so I think I need the taller mounts. But if I use those, then I worry I won't be able to fit my legs under the steering wheel if the seat is too thick.

Thoughts?
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front seat dimensions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692307

No dimensions but some info for you.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front seat dimensions Reply with quote

Stock Seat Dimensions:
Backrest width at widest point: 20 inches
Seat bottom, width at widest point: 20 inches
Overall length of seat, front to rear: 29 inches
Seat bottom thickness at thickest part (front edge): 8-1/2 inches
Highest point of seat bottom to floorpan distance: 13 inches

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front seat dimensions Reply with quote

That's perfect, thanks a ton!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: