Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Belt Chirp Driving Me Bonkers!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Belt Chirp Driving Me Bonkers! Reply with quote

I wouldn't put too much stock in a charades version of what happened

Suffice it to say these aren't the guys to work on your AC.

I've always drained any compressor and charged with oil per MFG spec but I've only done about 10 of them, I'm not a pro.

If they let the compressor pump on oil that could have spiked it. If you over charge it grossly you could reach 300 psi but relief valves are going to blow first.

FYI I measured 56 mm from blot face to outer pulley face.

On edit: the pump and manifold can be had from HF for about $100-150 on sale, I'll confess that's how I got into AC and that system has served me well
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Belt Chirp Driving Me Bonkers! Reply with quote

Update 2/8

I took the van in for a second opinion today. Was told by this mechanic that the reason the pressure was too high on the high side is that the fans are not running. He wasn't sure if it might be a bad fan module relay or crossed up wiring from the first shop's A/C installation. He wasn't willing to investigate further unless I cough up more $. As of right now, the fans don't work when the van is stopped, but once I begin to drive, the A/C blows cold...for now.

This second mechanic also claims that there's a slow leak in the evaporator core behind the instrument cluster. I convinced him to recharge the system and to throw some stop-a-leak in there, though his tech was doubtful that this will do much for me; he expects the freon to be gone in a couple of days. I did get two months of cold A/C on the first compressor (the aftermarket that has since been replaced with an OEM). The mechanic suggested that one possibility for me is to buy a can of refrigerant and then add some in for road trips. This will work as long as the leak is slow enough. We'll see how much I get out of the current recharge.

The mechanic says that replacing the evaporator core is a labor intensive job and would be over a grand. Who even knows what's going on? There might just be a worn gasket somewhere causing the slow leak. I think I might just need to go with canned refrigerant as is necessary. What do you guys think?
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Belt Chirp Driving Me Bonkers! Reply with quote

Final update

Looking through my old posts, I realized I never closed the door on this one.

The problem turned out to be fried radiator fan resistors. The resistors sit back behind the front bumper, and on my van, which had done some time in snow country, they had both gotten salted and crusty. The radiator fans won't work if the resistors are shot, and that created the unusual situation of the AC only working when the van was in motion. A new set of the resistors clipped right in and fixed things up.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Belt Chirp Driving Me Bonkers! Reply with quote

That was my first step in a long road of AC issues when I bought the van mid December with no way to test it.

Those resistors were shot abs replaced those first and then it was a chain of other issues I had to track down. Charging this system can be tricky too. Especially our tin tops with dual evap cores
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Belt Chirp Driving Me Bonkers! Reply with quote

Quote:
The mechanic says that replacing the evaporator core is a labor intensive job and would be over a grand. Who even knows what's going on? There might just be a worn gasket somewhere causing the slow leak. I think I might just need to go with canned refrigerant as is necessary. What do you guys think?

Bad for the wallet and environment and against the law in the US
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: