Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I am putting a 1600 back together and would like to move to dual port heads. Not sure who sells them, or where to look. I see empi sells new ones, but I have heard bad things about empi products lately. Just trying to put together a clean, reliable engine. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I believe MoFoCo manufactures new DP heads here in USA. Roy posts on this forum, and stands by his stuff.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Ask at Classic VW repair shops and at classic VW parts stores. Either or both should be able to supply you with info on new or rebuilt used heads. local is better from a shipping cost standpoint.

You can also maybe source used heads in classified ads, but they may require more work to rebuild than what they are worth if badly cracked, seats pounded into head etc. Weld and machine work can add up cost. Some are not worth rebuilding if really abused. So look before you buy, you may get a good deal in classified ads too.

Up North in Belmont Calif. is Ken Jansen Enterprises, VW motor guy. He can source heads, new, used, all types, from stock, repro, to monster race heads. He can get work done on your supplied heads too. If rebuilt by Ken, they will be done correctly, he can have chamber volumes set to your motor needs, quality valves, seats, well machined, If cracked he has them welded,, then Ken machines it. I and friends are using his rebuilt and new heads on motors he has built. He will even go thru brand new heads if he knows that brand needs work out of the box. Decades of building VW motors at same location.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jansen-enterprise-belmont

650 622 9785

Good Luck, Bug On! May your Bug no longer be headless!

PS...

Does your search for Bug parts make you a headhunter?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Yes, for the US Made heads it the Mofoco above they offer the Mofoco 40 head which is a 12mm 3/4 reach plug head with stock valves.

Another Stock like head is the L3 which I have put on a couple of engines they are Chinese 500 series 043 copy heads that have been modified for a little bit more flow and the SS valves and 3 angle valve Job on these is nice.

Perhaps a step up from that is the Tims super stock head it to is a Chinese 500 AA performance head that has been modified for a little more flow and a slightly larger intake valve 37.5mm

I have not tried the new Empi heads they look pretty good. I think Empi is trying to make a big comeback with the new heads they offer.

Car Craft has the best price on stock heads

Autolinea is making VW OEM replacement heads again 14mm Spark Plug with the stock 1/2" reach plug.

You can go directly with AA-Performance for a good deal on the 500 series Chinese 043 copies above but better to get these from a us distributors like ACN that installs the valves and springs. Get Single HD springs and better keepers on any head you should choose. Avoid the 501 series in a stock exhaust system they have 40mm X 35.5mm valves which are great for larger engines with cams and dual carbs etc... The 500 AA-Performance 35.5X32 head uses a nice 14mm SparkPlug, and, it's 3/4" reach. I really like the reach being 3/4". Check your desired compression ratio before ordering heads and get the right cc's 54cc is stock.

Last edited by Danwvw on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I bought my last set of heads from AA. I sprung for the larger 40mm intake valves and larger exhaust valves. Added a ton of peep to my 1600! And it sounds deep and throaty!

https://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-heads-c...mm-exhaust

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

fifthcenturycheese wrote:
I am putting a 1600 back together and would like to move to dual port heads.
Mike

This implies that it was a 1600 single port. Probably a single oil pressure relief valve H-Case. With a dog house steel oil cooler etc in which case there are some other things needed. Dual Relief Case, and
Like having the case inserted, Getting a Dog House fan shroud and the wider fan it had and an aluminum offset oil cooler Dual Port Manifolds, etc...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Have installed several sets of Mofoco heads. Think ahead before you order. If there are possible performance mods in the future, get the upgraded heads now. Roy's ported Super Streets are a nice mild performance head....Will work for stock applications as well as upgrades like dual carbs, header etc.

There are other options out there (CB Performance and others) but I like the Mofoco's.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

The case is a Mexico AS 41.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

That's a good case to build on it's got the large capacity oil pick-up and oil pressure relief & a control valve on the flywheel end. They were 8mm stud cases too.
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I bought my last set of heads from AA. I sprung for the larger 40mm intake valves and larger exhaust valves. Added a ton of peep to my 1600! And it sounds deep and throaty!

https://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-heads-c...mm-exhaust

Jim, what carb and exhaust are you running with your heads? I am looking for bolt on upgrades to my 1600. I was thinking dual Weber 40, ACN L3 heads, and 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 merged header exhaust. I like the Vintage, but $$$.
I was going for stock valve size cause I thought bigger wouldn't help. Since i'm in LA, AA performance is closer than ACN , but are the AA heads ready to go or do you need to get work on them before install?

Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Buy local if you can. MoFoCo's have a great rep, but it's nice to have a local guy to discuss with.

I ordered my 1835 heads from LowBugget in Orange. We discussed my build and my goals and AJ helped guide me. He's also installing the valves, springs, and CC'ing the chambers for me.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I am putting a 1600 back together and would like to move to dual port heads. Not sure who sells them, or where to look. I see empi sells new ones, but I have heard bad things about empi products lately. Just trying to put together a clean, reliable engine. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You will not find a better flowing or cooling stock valved cylinder head than my Mofoco 040 standard heads. They are on the higher end of the price range but at $229 each are worth every penny. 100% Made in the USA. You can bump the compression ratio up to 8.2 to 1 on a stock motor, add some pep and since they cool better than any other casting available, you will have a very nice engine. Feel free to pm me or write me direct [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

If you are considering enhancements later (header, better carbs etc) talk to Roy about some mild porting on his heads - VERY reasonable.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

lacolin wrote:
Jim, what carb and exhaust are you running with your heads? I am looking for bolt on upgrades to my 1600. I was thinking dual Weber 40, ACN L3 heads, and 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 merged header exhaust. I like the Vintage, but $$$.
I was going for stock valve size cause I thought bigger wouldn't help. Since i'm in LA, AA performance is closer than ACN , but are the AA heads ready to go or do you need to get work on them before install?

Colin

So, what I went with, dual Kadrons with 32mm vents, 140 mains. Regulated the fuel pressure down to 2.25psi. Installed a 1-5/8 inch exhaust, that tucks up under my passenger fender. Installed a set of AA big valve heads, 40 Intake 35.5 exhaust. They come ready to go out of the box. However, I did some porting and polishing to the intake of the heads and manifolds. Also ported and polished the exhaust just a tiny bit. Put a new Flamethrower (cheap Chinese distributor) on it, and a stock dog house shroud and oil cooler with all of the tin and flaps. New NGK plugs, long reach 12mm. Set the compression to 7.1 to 1 compression ratio. Bosch blue coil with stock Bosch wires. Everything is dialed in, I mean DIALED in. Set it all by ear and then retuned it, drove it several miles. Returned it, drove it several more miles, tuned it again. Each time, I would rejet it, or change some aspect of some component. It is still a work in progress. I still fine tune it every other weekend.

I tune everything by ear. Motors just have a "sound" when you hit the sweet spot. After hitting the sweet spot when they are sitting in the garage, driving it is the next test. Again, hear they have a sweet spot. The car just feels a certain way when everything is in synch. I have no way of explaining that "feel". At each tuning, the car felt "lean" or "rich", based off of pedal response, smell, sound and sight. Right off the bat, after installing the carbs with the 120 main jets in them, I knew it was running lean. The car was backfiring like crazy out the carb. Finally ended up with too large of a jet and it started shooting out the exhaust. I just played with it, for weeks!

I do not want to discourage you but for your own safety and anyone else on here who may read this.........., if you do plan to install parts on a car, outside of the stock configuration or stock design parameters. Be certain you have the smarts, skills and/or money to reach the end of the improvement, in both time and money (did I say money again! - It takes a lot of that). Also, be prepared to have a total catastrophic engine failure, that is part of the risk. You are pushing the boundaries of these designed components to an extreme, they may react differently than expected. You may end up with a backfire that ends up with the muffler laying on the ground (exhaust studs and a section of the head), or the intake on fire (carb laying inside the engine compartment, blown off the manifold). Be careful and know it all costs money! Lots of money!

Be careful!!! If you cannot perform these tasks safely, please find someone willing to help out or pay someone for their time.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

OMG 120s are way too small.....They came like that? Most of the ones I have got had 130 or 132s..... And I am surprised that 140s work for you on a 1600...Usually I have been using 132s or on occasion 135s, but that is pretty rare.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
OMG 120s are way too small.....They came like that? Most of the ones I have got had 130 or 132s..... And I am surprised that 140s work for you on a 1600...Usually I have been using 132s or on occasion 135s, but that is pretty rare.

I bought them used and had to rebuild them. When I purchased them, the guy told me he was having troubles tuning them on his Bug. When I pulled the jet and read it, I started giggling! A little small!

I had to but the individual jets from my local shop here, Pierside Parts Unlimited. Rich just handed me the 125, then I returned and handed them back to him and got the 127s, again too small, 130s, 132s, 135s, each time trading up. Still popping each time but always less with each jet size increase. Traded for the 140s and all was good! Thank you Pierside! Those guys are awesome!

Now, I am just waiting for it to smell like it is running rich (you and I know it is coming soon), but it has not happened. I actually got a little backfire out of the carb the other day. Had me wondering if I may need to go up a size. I decided not to and stick with what it has. It runs soooo damn good!!!! I figure it is me driving it hard, everytime I am in it. Stuff is wearing out and I am sure that that little engine is getting weaker each time. That's why the new engine is being built!!!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Mike

Hey Mike,

I have been researching heads, because I need a pair for the new build and CB Performance has those Panchitos for a really good price. I am picking up a set to stick on the new engine! Those numbers on flow are pretty nice! I now just have to get the wife on board with the idea of buying more parts!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I just don't tell the wife... Wink

My new heads will just magically appear on the 1835 in my garage. As will the valve train.

hehehehe
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Quote:
"I do not want to discourage you but for your own safety and anyone else on here who may read this.........., if you do plan to install parts on a car, outside of the stock configuration or stock design parameters. Be certain you have the smarts, skills and/or money to reach the end of the improvement, in both time and money (did I say money again! - It takes a lot of that). Also, be prepared to have a total catastrophic engine failure, that is part of the risk. You are pushing the boundaries of these designed components to an extreme, they may react differently than expected. You may end up with a backfire that ends up with the muffler laying on the ground (exhaust studs and a section of the head), or the intake on fire (carb laying inside the engine compartment, blown off the manifold). Be careful and know it all costs money! Lots of money!

Be careful!!! If you cannot perform these tasks safely, please find someone willing to help out or pay someone for their time."

Jim, thank you for the advice. Trying to take baby steps, and I was hoping that by going through ACN, I could get help on basic upgrades that are in balance with each other.

Colin
1969 convertible bug with 1974 engine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads for 1600, who sells good ones, new or rebuilt? Reply with quote

You are welcome. A lot of VW modifications, are tried out and then deemed good or bad. That equates to experience. Thus, it takes years to find a combination which works for you and how you drive.

I am a lead foot and like to keep the revs up around 3500-4200 when shifting, stock engine with a stock crank. The new build is getting a counter weighted crank, so I get to rev out to the 7000 range!!! But, there it is, I am willing to poke a rod up through the case to see if what I think will work together, will in fact work together. Hoping it all works and I can add it to my reputarr!

I think you would be surprised how much of an improvement dual carbs make. They cut the intake charge distance down, from like 12 inches to 5 inches. That’s a 50% improvement in throttle response. Well worth it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: