Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

This sucks...

I saw this report of a Barndoor fire posted on Facebook, anyone know who owns the Bus or what happened?

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Recently:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

Oh DAMN!!! I lost a 21 window to fire when I was 19. It hurt so bad. Thing got so hot it sway backed. I feel this guy's pain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

That’s German Botero’s. He said he thinks it was electrical related. Couple more pics on his Instagram. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

I saw two pictures of this bus today on Instagram, but I didn't know it looks so bad. That sucks! Crying or Very sad

The owner is on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/germanbotero

Everett, I hope it's ok to share his profile here? Otherwise please remove my message.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

Shocked OMG, thats a nightmare. I realy hope he can fix it again.
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

oh shit ! Crying or Very sad

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

Everybody’s worst nightmare 😟
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

That's El Ghiablo Josh's old late 1953 Kombi that used to have the Lionel Richie posters all over inside it many years ago.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

I hope it's fixable.

Grabbed this interior pic too:

Dammmmn, that is bad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

ugh - i wonder of this could be of help?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140703
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Lets see.... No pics of the burnt barndoor for sale and the body doesn't come with the paperwork and is not for sale. Sounds totally bogus, Like he never had it to begin with and is just a way to sell a title on the samba since that isn't allowed.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I think that's a different bus. The one in FL was a 53 and the one for sale is from Germany. Beisde this, they must have very fast shippers to transport the bus from the East Coast to Europe within three days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

bummer! Sad

I heard it was the Lionel Richie bus

pic posted 2004:
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

Why is it the Lionel Richie bus? Hello. is it me youre looking for?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

I saw some interior pics of this bus today. It doesn't look as bad as most of us thought, but I'm always asking myself, what the consequences are of such an heat treatment for the metal.
Guess it's getting stiff after the fast cooling down, so maybe technical parts like the front beam can't be used again? Have zero experience with busses, that caught fire, but there are some awesome restorations. What's about the sheet metal, maybe that's heavily dented and twisted?

Don't get me wrong, I also want to see the bus asap back on the street Wink
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

Any news on the one that burned in Parker on the way to BBB?

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
...I'm always asking myself, what the consequences are of such an heat treatment for the metal.
Guess it's getting stiff after the fast cooling down, so maybe technical parts like the front beam can't be used again? Have zero experience with busses, that caught fire, but there are some awesome restorations. What's about the sheet metal, maybe that's heavily dented and twisted?

Typically the bottom of a burnt vehicle doesn't get much heat. notice the front bumper still has paint and rubber is still on the rims. the front beam will be good. I would imagine the floor is still in great shape. The trans likely survived and maybe the motor also.

The upper body skin will likely be a disaster. All the skin will be warped though it is thicker steel than most vehicles so may not be as bad as I would expect.

A big problem with fire is rust. Every seam will try to rust... and in every cavity that doesn't get paint. This will happen very quickly also. It should really get a dip. And after paint a good spray of something like Rust check.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

We had a three bus caravan heading to VolksBlat in Miami when My friends bus caught fire.

Emptied three fire extinguishers and the fire just laughed at us.

It was a sad day indeed for German the owner of bus.

I was informed the bus will be saved depending on what title insurer decides on. There is a company here in Florida that can dip the whole bus in different liquid baths to treat and seal heated metal.

We have two videos of bus burning, My stomach turns every time I watch them.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
We had a three bus caravan heading to VolksBlat in Miami when My friends bus caught fire.

It was a sad day indeed for German the owner of bus.

I was informed the bus will be saved depending on what title insurer decides on. There is a company here in Florida that can dip the whole bus in different liquid baths to treat and seal heated metal.

We have two videos of bus burning, My stomach turns every time I watch them.

oh thats terrible that the fire extinguishers didnt even help. The poor owner.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:

Wow, that sucks! You guys were prepared and it still burned up. Fuuuuuck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: