Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

obus wrote:
brettsvw wrote:
We had a three bus caravan heading to VolksBlat in Miami when My friends bus caught fire.

Emptied three fire extinguishers and the fire just laughed at us.

It was a sad day indeed for German the owner of bus.

I was informed the bus will be saved depending on what title insurer decides on. There is a company here in Florida that can dip the whole bus in different liquid baths to treat and seal heated metal.

We have two videos of bus burning, My stomach turns every time I watch them.

oh thats terrible that the fire extinguishers didnt even help. The poor owner.

This is the three of us at Bulli Brigade 2017.
67 Kombi-Juan / 53 Kombi-German / 59 Kombi-Me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

German is one of the nicest of guys to meet and hangout with, Our hearts were heavy with sadness for him, everyone we met at the VolksBlast show were feeling it also.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by brettsvw on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
We had a three bus caravan heading to VolksBlat in Miami when My friends bus caught fire.

I was informed the bus will be saved depending on what title insurer decides on. There is a company here in Florida that can dip the whole bus in different liquid baths to treat and seal heated metal.

I am in no way implying that you guys didn't do enough... Im curious though if you have any ideas how it started? sounds like it was fed by fuel then? what kind of carb and/or fuel line set up was he running?

also, did you have the extinguishers rated for all different kinds of fuels?

wondering for educational purposes
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

sled wrote:
brettsvw wrote:

I am in no way implying that you guys didn't do enough... Im curious though if you have any ideas how it started? sounds like it was fed by fuel then? what kind of carb and/or fuel line set up was he running?

I was about a half mile ahead before I noticed German was pulled over, we were on a busy divided highway. When I seen flames shoot 10ft in the air from the drivers-side engine vent I immediately turned around and drove alongside the road in the grass as fast as I could (not a smooth ride at 40mph). By the time I reach the bus we could not get engine lid open. spraying into vents would not put the fire out. You would have to of been there to know how hot it was trying to get within 3 feet of the fire.
We were in such shock no-one thought about removing the front seat or the rear cargo mat because our attention was focused at the back of the bus.

I have had two fires in the past with great results in putting the fires out.
Engine lid has to be open to directly hit the source. It being a barndoor, fuel tank is on drivers side near the engine lid. We watched as the fire was shooting out the drivers-side engine vent.
We just topped our tanks not even 10 minutes before and the fuel hose coming out of the tank was burnt thru fueling the fire. Fire marshal told us very little fuel hit the ground.

Off the shelf fire extinguishers and a very large extinguisher from a local business close by.

I have since ordered a 6ft blazecut from smallcar

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

This totally sucks. My condolences to the bus' owner.

unfortunately with barndoors, you can't turn off the fuel from the cab like you can with later buses.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
sled wrote:
brettsvw wrote:

I was about a half mile ahead before I noticed German was pulled over, we were on a busy divided highway. When I seen flames shoot 10ft in the air from the drivers-side engine vent I immediately turned around and drove alongside the road in the grass as fast as I could (not a smooth ride at 40mph). By the time I reach the bus we could not get engine lid open. spraying into vents would not put the fire out. You would have to of been there to know how hot it was trying to get within 3 feet of the fire.
We were in such shock no-one thought about removing the front seat or the rear cargo mat because our attention was focused at the back of the bus.

I have had two fires in the past with great results in putting the fires out.
Engine lid has to be open to directly hit the source. It being a barndoor, fuel tank is on drivers side near the engine lid. We watched as the fire was shooting out the drivers-side engine vent.
We just topped our tanks not even 10 minutes before and the fuel hose coming out of the tank was burnt thru fueling the fire. Fire marshal told us very little fuel hit the ground.

Off the shelf fire extinguishers and a very large extinguisher from a local business close by.

I have since ordered a 6ft blazecut from smallcar

Must be a terrible situation. I also remember a 56 samba bus burning out and it's just like you said, you don't think about removing the seats or so in such a shocking situation.
Always asking myself, what the best method is to stop the fire. Maybe not opening the engine lid and covering the vent. I imagine there's a big effect like in the chimney?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Green Barndoor in FL caught fire Reply with quote

We found that A fueled fire needs direct contact from extinguisher to put out.
Blindly spraying in wherever we could did not work, fire kept igniting.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: