Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freevalve engines
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

Would it need to sense cam position? Couldn't it just know TDC (36-1) and pick it's own cycle every time it's started?

Max Welton wrote:
I can see the control electronics being integrated into Megasquirt at some point. Also going to need a way to sense what would have been cam position though.

Max

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Would it need to sense cam position? Couldn't it just know TDC (36-1) and pick it's own cycle every time it's started?

That is an interesting idea. I guess you could do that.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Can anyone think of any new innovations the Chinese ever done on their own? NO. They have to copy everything.

I doubt they are "copying" this, I'm sure they are paying a licensing Fee to Koenigsegg. They may be the only ones out there willing to take this on, maybe the others think they can either do w/o or make it better for less.
LOWE TECH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

I remember thrashing on N 14’s and such in the 90’s and Cummins was going to eliminate the cam. Maybe I was a lot more inspired then but I was following the tech bulletins with interest. Never happened. What the new cars are doing are incredible but the alure is gone. I sniff around this forum because I like the idea of refining a simple platform. “Refining” means different things to different people but having a computer involved with the process is not what I want from an ACVW.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
When I want to drive a modern engine I'll borrow my wife's MX-5 and put its 6 speed to work. That little 4 goes faster than most street Bugs and offers heated seats, effective abs braking and traction control, and handling my favored classic cannot touch.

So true!
EVfun wrote:
I'm not all that impressed with it though, I've driven it 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years -- much less charm.

It's the looks of the things I can't get past, those and the new Subys, look like something left behind by an elephant and styled by a 3 year old with a wooden spoon.

Most of the new generation of cars really... Rolling Eyes
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

My type-3 (with my conversion to modern injectors and MS control) looks nearly stock to the ordinary citizen.

I also have a brand-new base Subaru Impreza with 5-speed and I think the engine is a poor match to the manual transmission. In particular when I step off the throttle to shift, the RPMs just hang at 4k (or where ever I left the previous gear) and are still there when I'm ready to let the clutch out in the next gear.

And that takes the smile right off my face. Confused

I can tell you first hand that getting the MegaSquirt fuel and ignition surfaces to work well for the up-shifts was the hardest part. And a non-issue for an automatic transmission car.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
My type-3 (with my conversion to modern injectors and MS control) looks nearly stock to the ordinary citizen.

I also have a brand-new base Subaru Impreza with 5-speed and I think the engine is a poor match to the manual transmission. In particular when I step off the throttle to shift, the RPMs just hang at 4k (or where ever I left the previous gear) and are still there when I'm ready to let the clutch out in the next gear.

And that takes the smile right off my face. Confused

I can tell you first hand that getting the MegaSquirt fuel and ignition surfaces to work well for the up-shifts was the hardest part. And a non-issue for an automatic transmission car.

Max

The transmission should have very little to do with how a turbo-ed engine runs. Take that thing back and make them fix it. That's just not right! My wife's Forester is factory turbo with a 5 speed and does not do that!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

It isn't turboed. It's just the base 2.0. I suspect this is part of the emissions tuning. The 2004 2.5 I just got rid of did not do this.

Max
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

VW's that were DBW did this same thing too, partly due to dual mass FW (I think) and also tuning. Some of the flash tunes would eliminate the hang, I have read.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

The VWs that did that were carbureted and VW added a dashpot to slow down the deceleration of the engine to keep it from going suddenly rich at high engine speed with the throttle closed. It was an emissions thing that made for poor drivability. I see no reason why a modern fuel injected engine should need to do this. I still think it's not supposed to be like that but get another opinion from someone in the Subaru know.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

I plan to have that conversation but I think they just bolted an engine designed for their automatic to a 5-speed engine. The automatic would be the perfect setting for a peeky engine like this and what it does when the throttle is closed means nothing.

Max
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

A brand new subaru.....that's problems we haven't even invented yet. Not going to speculate.

In the era when port injection was, fuel cut over 2500 when throttle closed, but the era is over, whole new can of worms.
Now throttles don't have cables, and ports don't have injectors.

Looking forward to when the electric superchargers hit the junkyards.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

That would be a "fan". Very Happy

Max
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Freevalve engines Reply with quote

modok wrote:
A brand new subaru.....that's problems we haven't even invented yet. Not going to speculate.

In the era when port injection was, fuel cut over 2500 when throttle closed, but the era is over, whole new can of worms.
Now throttles don't have cables, and ports don't have injectors.

Looking forward to when the electric superchargers hit the junkyards.

I'm seeing a lot of fuel cut off on deceleration going down to 1400-1250 rpm on Kia, Dacia and Suzuki, 96-2013 years... port injection, pretty "old" now, I think they're chasing M.P.G.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: