Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anyone ditched the pcb board and done their own indicator lights for the indicator panel. My board is trashed, rather than repair it I was thinking of redoing the led indicators. While I'm at it I'll probably tap into the brake booster as davevickery and tencent have done.

Thanks,
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Should be fairly straight forward. I have thought about the idea in case I ever need to do it.

PS that LT on Instagram looks sweet!
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

I don't have the board and just have 2 LEDs hanging down below the console. Not ideal but it's functional.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

When I had my indicator light printed circuit board out, I determined that the PCB was only used to keep the whole affair as compact as possible and to keep the installation at the factory plug-and-play. There are no electronics in that PCB, so you can pretty much wire and set up your home-brew panel any way you like.

I object to the odd and confusing symbols on the factory panel. I have front and rear diff locks plus a de-coupler, so I always have to brief my sons* or friends* borrowing my Syncro.

* Yes, I trust them that much.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, I ordered some led's for an idea I have. I'll post details if it works out.

Thanks Mr. Shelley it's a work in progress
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Do any of you know what the voltage is that is going to the lights?

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

I think the stock light circuit board uses the same bulbs that are used to light the instrument cluster, so maybe it is 12 volts.

I need to rig up something for mine too as I don't have the circuit board that mates to the stock plug. I think I will just cut a piece of plastic to stick into the tabs on the console then drill some holes and glue some leds into the holes and run wires over to the plug. The only part of that plan I don't like is cutting the stock plug end off to get to the wires.. Low priority project though. My locker and decouple engage instantly so I don't need the light so much.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Don't give up on the stock look yet, emerging products are coming on to the market:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676074

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know where to find this plug under the dash. I removed the steering column cover and middle vent panel and I don't see it. My van didn't have a factory locker but I understand the wiring should be there.

Anyone know where it is tucked away at? Thanks
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

Anyone know where it is tucked away at? Thanks

Dave,

My van was a non locker too. If I remember correctly I purchased this wiring along with my panel. I believe it plugged into another connector. It has been too damn long ago so I hope I am not leading you astray. I am sending along some pics of the wiring needed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, it isn't clear to me what everyone means by the wiring is there on all vans. Perhaps it terminates at an ealier point at another connector, although that doesn't seem as likely. I can see the plug in your last picture above, but I can't tell if it completely unplugs from that rest of the wiring harness. I kind of doubt it.

I found this post.
[quote="crazyvwvanman"]The diff-lock wiring is all in a Syncro only small harness wiring bundle along with the fuel tank sender wire. You can't remove that entire harness without messing up the rear locker light and fuel level reading. There is a different color wire for each of the 3 lockers and a purple/black for the fuel tank sender, and then some solid brown for grounds. I forget what the locker wire colors are but the wires must still be there somewhere even if you clipped them off at the bundle. Just follow the bundle forward from the rear locker wiring or the fuel sender wiring.

And this one.
[quote="crazyvwvanman"]...There are just a few wires in the small Syncro bundle under the van along with the purple/black for the fuel gauge. There are 3 other colors with a brown stripe, one for each locker switch and a brown ground shared by all of them. If you touch the end of one of those 3 striped wires to ground it should light up one of the 3 locker bulbs in the locker panel. Then you will know which switch that wire goes to. Then do another and another. It is only 3 wires for 3 bulbs.

And:
[quote="stl_stadtroller"]Allright, found my answer on a European message forum

Front Diff Lock: White/Black
    Drive shaft Decoupler: Brown/Black
    Rear Diff: Blue/Brown

I also noticed looking at some wiring info that they include mention of the flashing module but that was not a US thing it was a warning that the front diff was engaged and is like the blinker thing that Van-Cafe sells to say your knob has been pulled but the light isn't on steady yet. That confuses things when looking at wiring diagrams because we don't have that anyway.

I am not going to remove the dash to look for these wires that's for sure, but so far I can't see them. Tied off behind the fuse panel maybe?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

If the van has a rear locker then it is prewired for a front locker and decoupler.
I haven't heard of a non locking van having all of the wiring for a locker before, they are probably lacking the locker panel sub harness at minimum.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
...I haven't heard of a non locking van having all of the wiring for a locker before, they are probably lacking the locker panel sub harness at minimum.

Thanks, the plugs were there under under the van for the locker and decoupler, so perhaps it is a subharness that I am missing.

According to this post on Brickyard, http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/syncro-wiring-loom_topic32359.html I will be missing the wiring from behind the fuse panel over to the locker panel.
Aidan wrote:
You will be missing the loom that comes from back of fuse board and goes to the diff lock panel in the centre of the dash - the reverse switch light connection being in the diff lock loom means that all syncros have the diff lock loom underneath even if not fitted with difflocks"

Syncroandy wrote:
According to the wiring diagram there's a 3-pin connector (T3) carrying the wires from all three switches, located 'behind the dash panel' the wire colours are:
Centre switch - Brown/Black
Rear switch - Blue/Brown
Front switch - White/Black
The harness that connects to this also connects via another 3-pin connector to the front locker warning relay PCB, and via a 6-way edge connector to the indicator lamp panel.

So I think this is the answer. I pull the fuse panel and see if I can find it.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

Non Locker Equipped Syncro - Locker Panel Wiring Plug

Front Diff Lock: White/Black
Rear Diff: Blue/Brown Stripe
Drive shaft Decoupler: Brown/Black Stripe

If anyone else needs to find this plug, the picture may help.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro diff lock panel indicator lights Reply with quote

I finally got my locker panel lights hooked up. My decoupler switch isn't working though. Hopefully it just isn't plugged in. This was a little more work than I initially expected but still gratifying to cross it off my list. I refused to cut any plugs so I needed to find something to fit the T3 connector behind the fuse panel. a T2 connector worked and I don't have a front diff lock, so that should be fine. I got 12 Volt power from the rear defroster plug. I was able to just add a connector to the back of that plug, kind of jamming it in there, but without cutting any wires.

I bought 2 of these green led lights off ebay for $3.50. They are 5V but have an internal resistor so they can work directly off 12 volt without burning out. These are the exact ones I got. https://www.ebay.com/itm/323049217825

I didn't have the little control board that snaps into the back of the diff lock panel that holds the light bulbs so I had to made one out of scrap vinyl. I cut the notches in the corners and drilled holes for the bulbs. Works great. The bulbs fit snugly but I put a dab of glue anyway.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: