Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are new Syncro fuel tank sender units factory calibrated?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Are new Syncro fuel tank sender units factory calibrated? Reply with quote

Im replacing my Syncro fuel sending unit and was wondering if they are factory calibrated ? I dont want to run out of fuel when the gauge reads at the beginning of the red which is "reserve". If its calibrated correctly shouldnt there be 2 or 3 gals reserve?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Are new Syncro fuel tank sender units factory calibrated? Reply with quote

I don't think they need or can be calibrated. After install ad fuel one gallon at a time and see where the gauge reads each time. That should do it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Are new Syncro fuel tank sender units factory calibrated? Reply with quote

vanagonjon wrote:
I don't think they need or can be calibrated. After install ad fuel one gallon at a time and see where the gauge reads each time. That should do it.

Of course you need to run out of gas at a gas station...which I'm planning...sigh! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Are new Syncro fuel tank sender units factory calibrated? Reply with quote

ourv12 wrote:
If its calibrated correctly shouldnt there be 2 or 3 gals reserve?

should is a troublesome word
I suggest you fill a 5 gallon spare gas can and carry it in the van until it runs out of gas, and learn what your gauge does.

Why do you think you need a new fuel sender?

fwiw, some fuel gauges are not accurate due to problems with the blue foil in the instrument cluster.

If you are replacing your fuel sender because your gauge does not read correctly, make sure you do a proper diagnosis of your instrument cluster first. Proper diagnosis as in, swap in a working instrument cluster and see if the gas and temperature gauges still read the same levels they do with your cluster.

It could also be the gauge itself, but the most overlooked, and last detected issue is the blue foil develops a failure that is intermittent, erratic, and inconsistent.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are new Syncro fuel tank sender units factory calibrated? Reply with quote

When the sender is out of the tank it can be fine tuned by lightly bending the stop tab and the rod that holds the float.
You can hook up a jumper wire and watch the gauge move as you do this to set the max empty and full settings.
I literally did this yesterday.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: