Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rotos71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

Just interested in comments from Samba members on non VW engine swaps and how it affects resale value.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

I bet that thing revs to the moon! Has to be a fun ride!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

they both improve and hurt resale.
depends on
how well it was installed/implemented
if it still runs trouble free or needs work
the willingness of the buyer and seller.

too many factors..
Wankle powered beetle on Jay Leno's garage.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
they both improve and hurt resale.
depends on
how well it was installed/implemented
if it still runs trouble free or needs work
the willingness of the buyer and seller.

too many factors..
Wankle powered beetle on Jay Leno's garage.

Link

I agree 100% with what he said ^^^

The problem which is 99% of the engine swaps is they are HACK. Not finished, not running right, wiring problems, the list goes on. They turn the cars into abortions and then don't want them anymore so they attempt to unload this heap onto someone else's shoulders to finish up the right way. The way I see these : If its a fatchick bug, and not worth much money - I see nothing wrong with cutting these cars up and having fun with them......in my eyes, would be blasphemy cutting a nice split window or any other early 50s cars to do this kind of modification to. As far as adding value or depreciating value? Like I said - if its an early car - and you do this to it - it is most likely going to depreciate/take away value - if its a later car - it would probably ADD value - considering the engine swap was done right/correctly and not needing a bunch of work done to finish it up right. Just my opinion/viewpoint for what its worth!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

Late models and Supers aren't going to be throwaway cars forever, they're already becoming more sought after. As the supply of early cars dries up they're going to start pricing more and more buyers out and they'll want to buy the next best thing.. late models and Supers.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Late models and Supers aren't going to be throwaway cars forever, they're already becoming more sought after. As the supply of early cars dries up they're going to start pricing more and more buyers out and they'll want to buy the next best thing.. late models and Supers.

I definitely see what you're getting at here. Do you think late models/supers will be MORE sought after than the early cars?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

lucille66 wrote:
vwuberalles wrote:

I definitely see what you're getting at here. Do you think late models/supers will be MORE sought after than the early cars?

I've yet to see that and I've been a car guy for 35 years.

It's just like he was explaining though. As early cars go up, younger people are pushed out of the market. They still want a car, so they grab the next best thing. Younger folks generally are not as worried about value and have fresher ideas. That's when you start to see bay window buses with tubs, sitting on the pinch welds. Other young folks see that and want to copy it until THOSE buses go up in value to a point where people don't want to cut them up. Then you get a bunch of stale, old fogies with money buying them up to restore them. You start to get people who don't even like the car, collecting them. Then the young folks move on to the Vanagon and so on and so on. I like how people will split the different groups up as well. For example, years ago a baywindow was a baywindow. Nobody wanted one. Now, they're sought after, so the person with the earlier baywindow starts calling it a "low-light" bay and you now have a distinction to make yours worth more than theirs. And then you split it up again..."I have an early low light bay, not one of those 5x112 abominations!"
And on it goes...
I have a 61 convertible at home. It's a pretty straight, rust-free car in Gulf blue. I've always wanted a small taillight convertible in a color other than red (seems like they're always red). It just sits in the garage and that doesn't bother me because it's going up in value. The other day, I saw somebody refer to the 58-61 convertible as a "snowflake convertible". Perfect...keep that kind of thing up. I love it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Super with 12A Rotary swap Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
lucille66 wrote:
vwuberalles wrote:

I've yet to see that and I've been a car guy for 35 years.

It's just like he was explaining though. As early cars go up, younger people are pushed out of the market. They still want a car, so they grab the next best thing. Younger folks generally are not as worried about value and have fresher ideas. That's when you start to see bay window buses with tubs, sitting on the pinch welds. Other young folks see that and want to copy it until THOSE buses go up in value to a point where people don't want to cut them up. Then you get a bunch of stale, old fogies with money buying them up to restore them. You start to get people who don't even like the car, collecting them. Then the young folks move on to the Vanagon and so on and so on. I like how people will split the different groups up as well. For example, years ago a baywindow was a baywindow. Nobody wanted one. Now, they're sought after, so the person with the earlier baywindow starts calling it a "low-light" bay and you now have a distinction to make yours worth more than theirs. And then you split it up again..."I have an early low light bay, not one of those 5x112 abominations!"
And on it goes...
I have a 61 convertible at home. It's a pretty straight, rust-free car in Gulf blue. I've always wanted a small taillight convertible in a color other than red (seems like they're always red). It just sits in the garage and that doesn't bother me because it's going up in value. The other day, I saw somebody refer to the 58-61 convertible as a "snowflake convertible". Perfect...keep that kind of thing up. I love it.

Yup Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681225&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: