Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

I always liked the special edition 72 Baja but I never see them. Where are they

Geoff
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

I give up where are they?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's 2. Smile

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

I have the wheels and a buddy has the car without the wheels.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

Sometimes the World Champions end up just like other "plain" Supers in the rust belt; downtrodden, rusted and used up. This one was in a junkyard in MA nearly 11 yrs ago. The yard closed shortly after, and was cleared of all of its remarkable cars.
Coffee Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Sometimes the World Champions end up just like other "plain" Supers in the rust belt; downtrodden, rusted and used up. This one was in a junkyard in MA nearly 11 yrs ago. The yard closed shortly after, and was cleared of all of its remarkable cars.

Mine was in very rough shape when I got it. It had been robbed of all the "Baja" goodies and the sheet metal was so badly rusted/pitted that mine will be a rat rod.

Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

My Dad's 1972 World Champion Beetle (known as the Baja in The States). I bought it from him in 1993, it's now covered 85,000 miles and has a fully stamped up Service Booklet!
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

What were the special extras on this car?

Geoff
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

GB2S wrote:

Geoff

Trim package, mechanically they are nothing special.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
GB2S wrote:

Geoff

Trim package, mechanically they are nothing special.

http://www.sebeetles.com/champion/
Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

In Europe it was known as “Der Weltmeister” or “World Champion”, And was issued to celebrate VW’s overhauling of the Model T Ford’s world record production figures. In America it was seen as less politic to celebrate the overhauling of an American Institution, so it was marketed as the Baja and came with the option of extras fitted by the dealer.

On continental Europe and in America and Australia the model was based on the 1302, or Super Beetle, in the UK the World Champion was based on the 1300, this being the best selling model in the UK at the time.

When new the World Champion was sold with a large certificate showing it alongside a Model T Ford and declaring it the new World Champion. The certificate was made out to the first owner and included the registration number of the car.

World Champion Beetles quickly became known as Marathon Beetles, due to the Marathon Blue body colour, which until then had only been seen on Audi’s.

The extras spec in Europe was: rubber bumper inserts, Marathon Blue Paintwork and 10 spoke wheels. 1500 were issued to the UK. 2 to each large dealer and one each to the smaller dealers. Interestingly, dealers were encouraged by VW to sell this edition to returning “older” customers.

Mike
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information. I do wonder why being a special edition, it
Didn't come with a sun roof

Geoff
Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

Geoff, you're welcome

Here's a picture of the certificate for mine

Mike
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

So given the date on your certificate, 2-17-72, all car
Were built after this date? A mid-year model?

Geoff
Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

Mine was first registered in June '72. Vic Kaye in the UK set up a register of the surviving World Champion Beetles in the 90's, it amounted to about 150 of the original 1500. It listed all the chassis numbers, and production dates seemed to be mostly late May I think.

I'll see if I can find the list.

Mike
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

It's cool and unique but what's "Baja" about it?
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

EnjoyNukaCola wrote:
It's cool and unique but what's "Baja" about it?

Picture copyright Colin Shinkin

http://www.sebeetles.com wrote:
1000 produced during 1972 to commemorate Baja off-road race successes from 1967-1971. A European ‘Marathon’ 1302 Super Beetle in L96M Marathonblau-metallic/Marathon Blue Metallic paintwork, ‘Baja’ wheels (Lemmerz made and named Marathon wheels in Europe). Each wheel with Black painted centres, silver wheel nut caps and hexagonal VW aluminium hub covers. Taper tip tail pipes. Dealer installed overriders, ‘Baja’ side stripes, plaque on glove box lid and optional Bosch halogen driving lamps.

Car featured full American specification, Black Leatherette bucket (high back) seats, full carpeting including trunk area, two-speed fan powered ventilation, rear window defogger, day/night (anti-dazzle) mirror, glove compartment lock and vanity mirror.

Most likely you will not win the Baja race with this model's configuration... Wink
Hartsa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

Greetings from Finland!
Mike Peckham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they - Special Edition 72 Bajas Reply with quote

Hartsa66 wrote:
Greetings from Finland!

Lovely looking car. What's it story? Any more pics?
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Where are they Reply with quote

Rome wrote:

Makes me want to cry...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: