Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator light won’t come on at key turn.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stubbyfett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Alternator light won’t come on at key turn. Reply with quote

New VW Bus owner. 74 baywindow. Rebuilt engine. Not sure of the engine size. Has been running great for the 6 months I’ve owned her. Decided to change the dash light bulbs. None of the 4 warning lights ever working, nor the brake warning light. To be honest I didn’t even know anything about them. Now I do and I get the importance. The only light in instrument cluster that worked was 1 illumination light. I decided to get new bulbs and put them in, now the alternator does not charge the battery.
I have a brand new fresh battery.
A voltage regulator that’s completely enclosed and has a clip connection.
Up front in the instrument cluster all light bulbs are new.
Oil warning light comes on with key turn.
Alt light does not. If I take the bulb housing out and put the tab on the metal cluster it and the brake warning light, illuminate.
The top middle illumination light does not light the test light, but the other bulb does. It’s a brand new bulb I put it two days ago.
The test light lights up when I touch the alt light wire going into bulb housing with a key turn but bulb still does not light up.
All fuses are good.

I have zero electrical skills, I have a test light and a volt meter but I am not good with either.

The bus runs just fine, turns over Norma, but the alternator does not charge the battery. I keep the cables disconnected so there is no accidental drain. I have a few hanging wires, but they don’t seem to really have a home, every connection looks good, not rusted or torn.

Any help is appreciated.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light won’t come on at key turn. Reply with quote

The wattage of that bulb is important in the alternator circuit. Needs to be 2-3 watts I believe.

Also make sure it’s seated all the way in the holder and twisted into the instrument cluster and making good contact.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light won’t come on at key turn. Reply with quote

Did you hit it?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light won’t come on at key turn. Reply with quote

Check the Earth has continuity from the metal where the bulb holder sits on to a good earth point on the bus structure (if you have a elec test meter). On mine I had similar problem, I had to clean up all the metal on the rear of the unit as there was a light film of corrosion on it stopping the flow of electrickery back to earth.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light won’t come on at key turn. Reply with quote

The blue "excite" wire for the alternator doesn't get grounded anywhere, it should read less than 12v with the key on and the engine not running, and then 12+ volts once the alternator excites. The other side of the bulb should have 12v on it when the key is on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: