Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Hi,

Im thinking of installing a deck lid rack for shows etc.

I dont want to damage the vents on the rear.

To be certain no damage will be made what tips and tricks have people used to stop damage?

Is it certain i will damage the rear vents on my bug?

The rack came with rubber gaskets for the vents will this be enough to stop damage to the vents?

Here's a pic of my bug:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Plan on scratching the inside edges of each part of blue paint with which the rack hardware comes in contact.

Know that if you painstakingly install it with pads under and on each part of hardware that contacts the car you will have a display-only rack. Because...

As soon as you strap your early 50s-era luggage (because people always put case on their car that's much older than the car) you will begin stressing the rack. This likely will deform your intake vents slightly. Rack rubs through your pads and into paint as well.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Plan on scratching the inside edges of each part of blue paint with which the rack hardware comes in contact.

Know that if you painstakingly install it with pads under and on each part of hardware that contacts the car you will have a display-only rack. Because...

As soon as you strap your early 50s-era luggage (because people always put case on their car that's much older than the car) you will begin stressing the rack. This likely will deform your intake vents slightly. Rack rubs through your pads and into paint as well.

Thank you what if i plan on putting luggage at the show and not driving with the luggage on the back?

Will this stop damage occurring or will the rack itself on the back cause damage?

Is there any sort of vinyl tape i can put around each vent to minimize any sort of damage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Beautiful car!!!! I think any rack will detract from car. It's clean and very well done.

If racks and accessories are your thing, why not a roof rack?
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Thank you.

I had a roof rack a few years ago and the legs damaged the top of my doors.

Hence why i decided to go for a deck lid luggage rack

But didnt think of Vent damage Sad

I was think of applying this on the vents to protect it:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-Bicycle-Protection-...2270089183
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

I've had roof racks on and off of my 63 for years and never had any damage from them. I took one off today that has been on a few weeks and no damage at all. It's interesting that you did.

The bike film may work. Only one way to find out.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I've had roof racks on and off of my 63 for years and never had any damage from them. I took one off today that has been on a few weeks and no damage at all. It's interesting that you did.

But have you used a deck lid rack before?

Maybe it was the type of roof rack i had?

Anyways keen to hear from other Deck lid owners.

Last edited by XXX-1.8T on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

I can`t stand roofracks, decklid racks, or any other non original VW accessories. But then, I`m a hardcore old school Cal Look guy. But why put a crappy repro rack and a bunch of crap on the rack anyway? They WILL scratch you paint A judged car show judge should knock points off for that kind of stuff anyway.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
I can`t stand roofracks, decklid racks, or any other non original VW accessories. But then, I`m a hardcore old school Cal Look guy. But why put a crappy repro rack and a bunch of crap on the rack anyway? They WILL scratch you paint A judged car show judge should knock points off for that kind of stuff anyway.

I dont enter the car where its judged to win etc just more of those charity type shows.

Thanks for your opinion Cool
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

XXX-1.8T wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

I've never used a decklid rack, but I've considered it. I've had a roof rack on my 62 for many years and occasionally would put it in my 63. I just bought one for my 63 (from a buddy, I got a great deal) but won't leave it on. Just use it occasionally for actual functionality (I think my 63 looks better without it). Both of mine have clear plastic tubing over the feet. You can replace it easily and even put felt over top of it. I put thick tape over the metal clamps to pad the door frame also. Never had a problem.

I don't know how much pressure the decklid clamps put on the vents, but I would think you can adequately cushion it with something.

Get the rack and experiment with rubber and felt cushioning until you find something that works. Racks are easy to put on and take off when you want to change the look.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

One more thing to think about. Especially if you have a stock engine. If the engine catches on fire, good luck getting the rack unloaded and off of the car in time.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

I preface this with I don't have personal experience with one, but have seen decklid opened with a rack. They are hinged to allow opening of the lid. I do not know how they are attached at the bumper bracket for quick release, but I imagine one could make a quick release cotter pin set-up fairly easily if it doesn't come that way. I would think they are designed for accesses to the motor.

This pic shows an open lid with a loaded rack (just one suitcase it appears).

XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
XXX-1.8T wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

I've never used a decklid rack, but I've considered it. I've had a roof rack on my 62 for many years and occasionally would put it in my 63. I just bought one for my 63 (from a buddy, I got a great deal) but won't leave it on. Just use it occasionally for actual functionality (I think my 63 looks better without it). Both of mine have clear plastic tubing over the feet. You can replace it easily and even put felt over top of it. I put thick tape over the metal clamps to pad the door frame also. Never had a problem.

I don't know how much pressure the decklid clamps put on the vents, but I would think you can adequately cushion it with something.

Get the rack and experiment with rubber and felt cushioning until you find something that works. Racks are easy to put on and take off when you want to change the look.

Yep will do thanks for the suggestion.

Ill be super careful and use extra cushioning on the vents.

Also will not drive with it under load so fingers crossed nothing gets scratched or bent Smile
grimrides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:

My Dad and his friend Jerry hated them! Just hated them.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Your Dad sounds like my kind of guy. I wish I could have met him.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Roof racks are loud as hell going down the road. I like it on my 62, but not my 63. Strange. But when you're going to an all day car show taking your family with a big cooler full of food and drinks, canopy, and 4 chairs, etc it sure comes in handy. And they are easy to change. I've taken a bunch of stuff to a car show on one and then took it off at the show.

Get it and see what you think. If you like it, that's all that matters. I'm interested in seeing a pic of your car with it.
grimrides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Your Dad sounds like my kind of guy. I wish I could have met him.

Last edited by grimrides on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Well, THAT took a dark turn toward the ‘very strange’.

I wanted to add that my ‘60 wears an original VW roofrack, and I was very nervous about damage, because I had new paint. I used clear plastic tubing on the roof rack’s feet, and for the clamps, I dipped them into plastidip several times to build a thick coat.

Several years later, no damage whatsoever.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Roof racks are loud as hell going down the road. .

I think the ones with the slats parallel to the windshield are loud. The ones with slats that run front to back arents as much. Or at least I havent noticed any noise from it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid Luggage Rack Deck Damage? Reply with quote

Hi Triple X

Have you looked at these type ? Keeps it away from the louvres, and the decklid

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: