Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel safety concerns.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Wheel safety concerns. Reply with quote

How safe are the stock steel wheels (1966)? I know compared to newer wheels they don't have the lip on the inside of the tire bead, has anyone had a tire come off under hard turning? I've seen people talk about inner tubes, I have zero interest in running those. Thanks gang!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel safety concerns. Reply with quote

As I've said many times before. I've driven my 62 Bug all over Colorado and hell, the USA, and have only once had anything close to a "bead seal failure" and that was while I was driving through frozen snow drifts in subzero temps on dirt county roads one dark night in northeast Colorado. This was probably a factor of the cold and snow, as it was pretty much straight line driving, (not any hard cornering) and all I had to do was pump the tire back up and it was fine.

As for all those dirt and paved twisty mountain roads I'd often drive a bit too fast on, all times of the year, I never had a problem and never had worries that I would.

VW did put some strongly worded warnings about this in the 60s service manuals but I think they reflected the tire tech of the time, which got a lot better in later years.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel safety concerns. Reply with quote

Thanks! I figured the additional lip was just a safety thing added later, as you said I've never really heard of anyone having issues. I'm considering either sandblasting/repainting my stock wheels or replacing them with newer versions. Safety was part of my concerns, cost is another thing entirely.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel safety concerns. Reply with quote

SparksLP wrote:
Thanks! I figured the additional lip was just a safety thing added later, as you said I've never really heard of anyone having issues. I'm considering either sandblasting/repainting my stock wheels or replacing them with newer versions. Safety was part of my concerns, cost is another thing entirely.

over 330,000 miles on my stock 61 rims, no problems. Millions of Bugs sold with these rims, none ever needing a recall, millions of these rims still in use today. Not a problem when using stock sized tires, maybe an issue with drastically different tire sizes, maybe.

for safety first, an old Bug is a poor choice overall. single circuit brakes, lap belts, (or no belts) no airbags, lack of modern crumple zones, light weight, no antiskid brakes, metal dash, etc... the single circuit brakes and lap belts can be upgraded without too much difficulty however, dont concern yourself with the rims however. shoulder belts and dual brakes are big improvements you can deal with easily.. if you want safety first, drive a modern car, preferably one with a high safety rating, rather than a small vintage econobox.

Bug On Safely!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel safety concerns. Reply with quote

Yeah, there are definitely other "safety concerns". Something about a steering column that doesn't collapse is a much bigger threat than wheels, haha!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: