Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

I am envious of the larger drawers on the later westfalias. Has anyone attempted to retrofit this into an older van? I'm thinking of trying to build up a drawer myself from scratch since I am tired of not having enough knife storage.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

What model years are these earlier and later vans that you’re referring to? My 85 and 90 both have u-shaped drawers that are not large or awesome.

For knife storage, I sure do like a magnetic knife holder screwed to the hinged lid above the stove/sink. Mine holds theee knives, a bottle opener and another thing or two (sorry, no pics at this time).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
What model years are these earlier and later vans that you’re referring to? My 85 and 90 both have u-shaped drawers that are not large or awesome.

For knife storage, I sure do like a magnetic knife holder screwed to the hinged lud above the stove/sink. Mine holds theee knives, a bottle opener and another thing or two (sorry, no pics at this time).

I've got an 82 and its a tiny rectangle that holds two sets of cutlery and a knife. It's ridiculous. I suspect it changed in 85.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

Ive also seen magnetic knife holders on the inside of the cabinet door below the sink. I think part of the solution is going beyond that drawer because it's constrained by the sink/drain.

FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
I've got an 82 and its a tiny rectangle that holds two sets of cutlery and a knife. It's ridiculous. I suspect it changed in 85.

Edit: Nevermind. Embarassed Just learned that the early drawers are not U-shaped, like the later drawers.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

My 82 westy has the smaller drawer with out the legs going back. Gowesty has the larger drawers for sale. I think the drawers are the same width and you could modify it to fit. I have not done it myself but I am shore some one will chime in who has. You might have to modify the sink drain. Good luck
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

I swapped out the drawer on our 82. The longer drawer just slid in. No modifications required.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

modify the stove face with a knife drawer

from this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507102

juanb wrote:
With the prospect of spending a year in the van, I'm in the mindset of using every available bit of space.

The following is is an idea that I've had for a while, and finally this weekend was able to make it happen. I thought about this while looking at the very helpful disassembly pictures that davideric9 posted to this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334649

If you look at the area left of the burners, there is some empty space in there:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The back of it is ventilation for the fridge, but we're not going to go so far that it matters.

The first thing I did, because I know my craftmanship can be laughably bad, was to procure an extra stove front plate. I got it from the classifieds, I think it was $25 or so:

Then I marked how far I wanted to go, and attacked it with a jigsaw:

My strategy is usually "measure once, cut three times". Make sure to never hire me for anything that doesn't have an undo button Smile

I went to Home Depot, and after a couple of hours of looking of inspiration, I settled on this thing, it's a roof gutter of some sort. What mattered to me was that it is metal, it has a 90 degree bend alongside, and one of the sides is about 2 inches tall:

By making cuts on the longer side and bending it I built this box, which is about 12"x4":

Not pictured here, but I epoxyed it in place, and left it clamped overnight.

I made a wooden front, which I sanded until it fit snugly in the stove front. Here they are, pictured in my paint booth:

After a couple of coats. I painted the table legs as well.

When the paint was dry, I attached the front to the drawer using a handle that screws from behind, and then lined the drawer with some black rubber material so the stuff inside doesn't rattle too much. I also put some of that low friction tape that I used on the slider door, on the bottom and edges of the drawer.

Voila, a new cutlery drawer:

Now I can use the main drawer under the sink for other stuff. I'm not too worried about heat, this is relatively far from the flame, separated by two layers of metal, plus my drawer itself is metal. So I should be ok.

The paint I used was Rustoleum Satin Granite, it is here if you scroll down a bit:
http://painting123.com/ProductInfo.asp?p2=I7

It's a bit darker than stock, but I don't mind it. My bad craftmanship shows a little bit, but it isn't too bad. And when compared to my stock stove plate, it is a noticeable improvement. The old plate had that greenish grey color that most original westy stoves have by now.

Here it is closed:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
...I suspect it changed in 85.

My 84 has the later drawer - possibly the change coincided with the WBX at 83½.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
sphet wrote:
...I suspect it changed in 85.

My 84 has the later drawer - possibly the change coincided with the WBX at 83½.

83½ here, I have short drawer. I would swap - but imagine how much a good, used brown drawer is going to cost.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd be looking for one of the later model drawers too. But here's another idea for knife storage. Super easy to build if you have a table saw with a dado blade.

sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

I thought I would wrap up this post with my findings. I was able to buy a later-model drawer that matches the colours of my early van. It slid in just fine but the latch did not work. I measured it a bit and the latch is installed an 1/8 of an inch higher on the new drawer. There is also a noticeable recess in the rubber trim on the old one. I ended up cutting back the trim on the new drawer to match the old, and unscrewed, slightly bent and then re-installed the metal catch to make up the 1/8 of an inch. It's almost perfect but then the old drawer was always a bit finnicky anyways. My one thought is that I expect the slides installed on the inside of the cabinet probably extend back much farther in the late vans -- but since i store my anvils in the luggage rack and not in my cutlery drawer I doubt this will be a problem.

Comparison of the two styles -- look at that extra space for losing things!

The new later-model drawer

The earlier one with the recess cut into it.

spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

By modifying the sink drain to a smaller elbow, that "U" can be avoided. Photos of the back of the drawer here, down near the end:
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/vwshower.htm
81 Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

I am hoping to build the U shaped drawer to replace my '81 tiny drawer. Any chance you could send me the dimensions on the U shaped drawer to facilitate or ease my project?
Much Appreciated!!!
Ron
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
By modifying the sink drain to a smaller elbow, that "U" can be avoided. Photos of the back of the drawer here, down near the end:
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/vwshower.htm

Link did not work. I think it's this one

http://www.griffco.ca/VW/vwshower.htm

Keep in mind that they don't use the sink and three sprayer comes up through the drain. A similar solution for the drain could be created.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

1980 Westy - we modified our silverware drawer; added drawer slides too.

Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

VeeDubn wrote:

Any other pictures of your interior? I'm intrigued...
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

Pchill2 - Additional pictures of our interior . . .

Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

Love it!

PM'd you (I don't want to railroad this thread with questions)
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newer, larger kitchen drawer in older van? Reply with quote

Thank you Vanis13 for updating my old link. I tried to edit that post, but was a long way too late! Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: