Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

Ron I think she was on her way from Circle of Friends campout to Jeff's first campout in Chester. She was parked next to me at CoF's and said she would be exploring NS.
We have remained FB friends since. Best Daizee story was when her wheel came off going down a hill and she didn't crash thank God! Her little blind dog Munchkin was entertaining as well.
I don't know how that dog didn't get run over.

That would make sense Tim.

Blind dog?!?! I did not know that until now! Haha it looked right at me.

RonC
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
She brought out the best in us and the worst in some. I am glad she is well.

Well said. I'm happy to hear she's still at it. I don't know if there's been another Samba member with her level of optimism; however, I still think she should have kept that '84 Wolfsburg Westy instead of going down the diesel rabbit hole. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

I had almost forgotten about that whole Shakespearean tragi-comedy. My takeaway from that at the time was either be your own mechanic or stock up on rape kits. Taking out bank loans on a broken-down Vanagon was insane - treat that thing like a horse with a broken leg. *BANG*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

I don't know but I'd rather be Daizee than one of her mechanics.

As someone said, non-mechanical newbies should be directed to her thread. Talk about reality check.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

I recall briefly popping in and out of her thread at the time, but never really paying a whole lot of attention to it back then. Today, I spent hours reading it start to finish. Holy crap. I have absolutely zero ill will towards Daizee, but it was a hard read. It got to the point where I would see a post that started with "Great news!....", and I knew before I even scrolled down, the very next post was going to start with "I'm so pissed off right now!". It was so sad you'd have to laugh or you'd end up crying for her.

Imagine you can't swim. You're struggling to keep your head above the water. And then someone throws a Vanagon into your hands. That about sums up the whole 36 page thread.

I completely agree with the comment about every potential owner needing to read that thread. It's a great life lesson in what can go wrong when you don't know what you're getting into. Though maybe not her fault entirely, she would pick and choose 1 thing from the 20 suggestions thrown at her, and solely focus on only that thing. Like when the van wasn't even running, but she was concerned with a polish and wax job. Or the obsession about the wrong tires on there, which almost seemed to overshadow the entire 3rd engine swap saga.
There was lots of good advice that got ignored along the way, but I think she was able to admit her fault in not taking a lot of it. So I give her credit for that.

I just wish, more than anything, the thread didn't end with her finally getting the van sorted, and (it sounds like?) immediately putting it up for sale. It would have been nice to hear of at least 1 road trip that made all the headache worth while.

I really hope she's doing well, and found something she enjoys in life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

It broke her heart to sell Scooby, it was a health/mobility related decision forced upon her by the cruel task master of AGE.

Kids........ while you can..... GO! ..... DO! Tomorrow is a huge unknown that fate may cut you out of before you arrive.

My Father gave up his camper decades ago because of health concerns.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

I received this from Daizee on June 11, 2022

I can only assume it is real......
If so, farewell old girl! It was a fascinating ride!

"I am closing down my Facebook account permanently as I am in final stages of illness and will be passing within a few days. My illnesses have nothing to do with the pandemic, plandemic nor scamdemic nor did I get any jab and I only had one PCR test for surgery. I AM 77 WITH AN ÈXTENSIVE CLINICAL BACKGROUND OF THE RESPIRATORY, CARDIAC.........."

Just confirmed, She Passed on June 13 2022
https://clancarrutherssociety.org/2022/06/13/clan-...rs-canada/

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

Oh wow. That's so sad.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

I met Daizee a few times.
she was a strong willed woman with a penchant for living
even though life wasn't easy or at times fair to her.

scooby dooby doo girl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

A well lived life that continues in others’ hearts and minds

Very Happy
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I think I probably knew this, but I had forgotten Daizee's name was Zelda.

My mother's name was Zelda.

Daizee was one-of-a-kind, and this is a sad day.

RonC
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this. I drifted in and out of the thread at times since it was a hard read occasionally, but hoped it would end well for her.
Rest in Peace... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

Even her last post has ALL CAPS. Go Daizee! What a saga that was.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

She was a life force and lived as well as she could. RIP.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

Members of this forum come and go. Most are forgotten when they lose the faith or move on to Sprinters, but Daizee will always be a folk hero around here.

I hope she's driving a perfectly-sorted TDI Riviera across the universe. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It broke her heart to sell Scooby, it was a health/mobility related decision forced upon her by the cruel task master of AGE.

Kids........ while you can..... GO! ..... DO! Tomorrow is a huge unknown that fate may cut you out of before you arrive.

My Father gave up his camper decades ago because of health concerns.

Dave

Great advice! Get out while you can. The earlier -- the healthier -- the better.

And don't forget the tunes and a cozy companion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLr6oNU2nhs .
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

It's always tough to lose one of our own, particularly a memorably feisty one.

Get out there now! Post your adventures!

The only constant is change...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

Diazee reminded me of so many strong, independent, opinionated women in my family. I love and
respect that she was willing to “put it all out here” for us to see, react and respond to in this forum.

That we should all be so fearless in our own lives, relationships, affairs!

Happy trails, DZ . . . Lt. Blue Vanagon

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Daizee Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

"I am closing down my Facebook account permanently as I am in final stages of illness and will be passing within a few days. My illnesses have nothing to do with the pandemic, plandemic nor scamdemic nor did I get any jab and I only had one PCR test for surgery. I AM 77 WITH AN ÈXTENSIVE CLINICAL BACKGROUND OF THE RESPIRATORY, CARDIAC.........."

That is so DAIZEE!!!
See you in the clearing at the end of the path...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Daizee ....... The story ends 6/13/22 Reply with quote

Until we all camp together again Zelda.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: