Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

My radiator is in about the same spot as your original mount, but I have a scoop that is open to the front, which then shoves air up through the core.

This works well to cool the engine and, at least in my imagination, provides some protection to the radiator from rocks or whatever.

As you mentioned, it did warm up the floor back there, but I put some Reflectex against the underside of the floor and I think that helped quite a bit.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
My radiator is in about the same spot as your original mount, but I have a scoop that is open to the front, which then shoves air up through the core.

This works well to cool the engine and, at least in my imagination, provides some protection to the radiator from rocks or whatever.

As you mentioned, it did warm up the floor back there, but I put some Reflectex against the underside of the floor and I think that helped quite a bit.

Good info! Reversing the air flow would certainly make it significantly easier to get air up through the radiator, but my preference is to have the air going from the top down to push heat away from the Bus. If I did decide to reverse the flow, I'd need to flip my fans across the core. Not a big deal, but its still stuff that would be hanging down from the frame.

That's really my biggest issue when it comes down to it. I don't really want to see anything hanging down if I can help it. Doesn't look like I'm going to really get away from that though. Even with the front of the radiator dropped like it is now, the leading edge of it isn't any lower than the lower tube of the front beam. So although at some angles it looks bad, anything I would hook the rad on would also contact the beam first. So is it any more venerable? I don't know..

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Can you reverse the directions of your fans? Sounds like they are set up as "pushers" currently. Many are reversible. Mine is above the radiator, very close to the floor, set up as a puller. From my reading, most fans are more efficient when pulling rather than pushing.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Good info! Reversing the air flow would certainly make it significantly easier to get air up through the radiator, but my preference is to have the air going from the top down to push heat away from the Bus. If I did decide to reverse the flow, I'd need to flip my fans across the core. Not a big deal, but its still stuff that would be hanging down from the frame.

That's really my biggest issue when it comes down to it. I don't really want to see anything hanging down if I can help it. Doesn't look like I'm going to really get away from that though. Even with the front of the radiator dropped like it is now, the leading edge of it isn't any lower than the lower tube of the front beam. So although at some angles it looks bad, anything I would hook the rad on would also contact the beam first. So is it any more venerable? I don't know..

Passengers in my bus like the "feature" of in-floor heating. Wink Especially in December.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I tried a variety of angles and wanted to keep the rad tucked up out of sight. Finally settled with it slightly below the frame rails. The foam pipe wrap helps seal the rad so air has to go down through it rather than escape on the sides. Works much better that way. I have the fans pushing down. What would be ideal is some sort of lift and lower mechanism kind of like the rear spoiler on a corrado. Drop the rad on a clear highway cruising at high speeds and lift it when cruising slower.

Again I wish someone was doing an off the shelf version. My rad has been working fine for 5 years or more but I’d like to go all alluminum and reposition the inlet outlets like you’ve done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Can you reverse the directions of your fans? Sounds like they are set up as "pushers" currently. Many are reversible. Mine is above the radiator, very close to the floor, set up as a puller. From my reading, most fans are more efficient when pulling rather than pushing.

So my fans are Spaal pusher fans, and are not reversible. Some are designed to be run either way, but I expect that reversible fans not as efficient as purpose built pushers or pullers.

You are correct though, puller fans are supposed to be more efficient in general than pushers. I went with pushers so I could keep them tucked up high and out of sight.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Passengers in my bus like the "feature" of in-floor heating. Wink Especially in December.

haha.. well your a little bit more north than me. Admittedly it would be kind of nice to have this "feature" this time of year, but when its hot and humid down here in the summer, I'm pretty sure I want that waste heat moving as far away from the cabin as I can get it LOL

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
I tried a variety of angles and wanted to keep the rad tucked up out of sight. Finally settled with it slightly below the frame rails. The foam pipe wrap helps seal the rad so air has to go down through it rather than escape on the sides. Works much better that way. I have the fans pushing down. What would be ideal is some sort of lift and lower mechanism kind of like the rear spoiler on a corrado. Drop the rad on a clear highway cruising at high speeds and lift it when cruising slower.

Again I wish someone was doing an off the shelf version. My rad has been working fine for 5 years or more but I’d like to go all alluminum and reposition the inlet outlets like you’ve done.

Thanks for chiming in! I had the same thought today about a system that could raise and lower on demand when I was down on the floor messing around with it. That would be the bee's knees Cool That would also likely be overkill.

The reason I think there is no off the shelf kits really put out there, is because there are about a million different ways to skin the cat, and everyones priorities are different in what they will/will not accept when it comes to functionality and looks. Makes it hard to put something out there.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

So I worked on this a little bit more today. Mostly on the conceptual side and chasing down parts. Dropping down the front of the radiator proved the point on how to fix it (i.e. air flow), and confirmed the current short comings of how it was mounted.

So thinking more today, and trying to balance the aesthetic versus functionality, I decided to try and split the difference. What I did was flip the radiator saddles from being mounted above the frame to being mounted below the frame. In addition, I added a 1" spacer between the saddles and frame. This lowered the whole system down by about ~1.25-1.5" overall.

At face value this doesn't look like it changes much, but where it makes a big difference (at least potentially) is the radiator core to floor support clearance. The first picture below is a repeat shot of the one I posted yesterday taken over the top of the frame rail just below the floor. The second picture is taken looking up at the leading edge of the radiator. Much more room between the radiator and the floor supports now, and hopefully a big enough space that I can scoop air up into effectively.

Tomorrow I plan to work on some of the shrouding/sealing of the radiator, as well as figuring out the least obtrusive scoop I can and come up with. Hopefully I can test it piece by piece to figure out what I absolutely have to have, versus what I can pass on.

Fingers crossed on this one. I certainly like the appearance of this much more over dropping the front of the rad down. Trying to make it as non-noticeable as possible. Here is a further away shot with it down lower now. Visible, but not obvious.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

That doesn’t look bad at all. I took a can of flat black and sprayed the side of my rad. Makes it blend into the frame rails more.

For a scoop I just walked through the local scrap yard and took a front spoiler off of something. Plastic hangs down much lower than the rad so I know if it is rubbing I need to keep an eye on things.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Don’t paint it, won’t see much weather damage in Texas and it looks nice all shinny and shit.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Man I need to check back more often. Adam your conversion is inspiring. Nice score on the re-geared 091. Hope the builder did things right.
Our radiator setup is similar. Mine being a bit more ghetto. Only driven around neighborhood so I don’t know how well it will do. No tags/insurance yet. Need tires/brakes. Just started babystang disc install. Hope to meet you soon.
Jon

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
That doesn’t look bad at all. I took a can of flat black and sprayed the side of my rad. Makes it blend into the frame rails more.

For a scoop I just walked through the local scrap yard and took a front spoiler off of something. Plastic hangs down much lower than the rad so I know if it is rubbing I need to keep an eye on things.

Thanks.. I had a similar thought about some paint work to blend things in. Not really on the radiator, but any sort of scoop I might put together. To make it something that isn't "super shiny look at me" LOL We'll see.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Don’t paint it, won’t see much weather damage in Texas and it looks nice all shinny and shit.

Not planning on painting the rad or the aluminum mounting parts at all, but any sort of scoop might get something. We'll see.

PS: I'm not in TX anymore.. moved to GA in May this year.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

mack00 wrote:
Man I need to check back more often. Adam your conversion is inspiring. Nice score on the re-geared 091. Hope the builder did things right.
Our radiator setup is similar. Mine being a bit more ghetto. Only driven around neighborhood so I don’t know how well it will do. No tags/insurance yet. Need tires/brakes. Just started babystang disc install. Hope to meet you soon.
Jon

Looking good Jon.. Based on my experiment with the front of my rad angled down, I feel like your probably going to see pretty good results. Are you planning any sort of scoop?

Thanks for the kind words. I always try hard to make things as clean as possible. I've been pretty fortunate to have worked on a lot of projects over the years that have allowed my skill set to grow a long ways from where I started. I just keep pushing to try and take things up a notch each time I do something.

I'm hopeful that the 091 will work out good. On paper the gearing looks like it should be pretty nice. I don't think he had a ton of miles on it either. Fingers crossed!

We do need to catch up! Maybe I need to take a cruise over to your side of town one day and scope out what your working on. I haven't really met many (or any really) locals yet.

PS: Killer brakes! I looked at those hard when I had an early bay, but ended up moving on to later model stuff before I ever pulled the trigger.

67 Beetle (TBD)

mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Yes I plan on a scoop if needed. Maybe bend up some sheet metal as an experiment. Also sealing up the sides should help. It will be nice to see if this config will work so I can do a better install - get rid of the all thread and clean things up. I also wonder if electric water pump and stand alone controller might be effective.
Hope my assistant (wife) can help get the brake bleeding done this weekend. Then I’ll get some tires. I got 15 inch split bus rims. Also installed an 091. Between the taller tires and better gearing the rpm should be a bit better but will probably re-gear at some point.
Yes It would be great to have you over. You probably need to look at my install with one eye closed so you don’t go into shock. Not sure what your schedule is like but I work early and usually home by 2:00. I’m around most weekends. East side of Marietta. If you ever do caffeine and octane. Stop over afterwards might be another option. I’d like to see how a swap should be done-yours.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

mack00 wrote:
Yes I plan on a scoop if needed. Maybe bend up some sheet metal as an experiment. Also sealing up the sides should help. It will be nice to see if this config will work so I can do a better install - get rid of the all thread and clean things up. I also wonder if electric water pump and stand alone controller might be effective.
Hope my assistant (wife) can help get the brake bleeding done this weekend. Then I’ll get some tires. I got 15 inch split bus rims. Also installed an 091. Between the taller tires and better gearing the rpm should be a bit better but will probably re-gear at some point.
Yes It would be great to have you over. You probably need to look at my install with one eye closed so you don’t go into shock. Not sure what your schedule is like but I work early and usually home by 2:00. I’m around most weekends. East side of Marietta. If you ever do caffeine and octane. Stop over afterwards might be another option. I’d like to see how a swap should be done-yours.

Haha.. Thanks for the kind words. I'll have to see if I can swing by some weekend, as I usually get home after dark on weekdays. I'll shoot you a PM.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Taking full advantage of this time off work for Christmas break. After spending most of yesterday doing work on the house, I snuck back out to the shop today and worked more on the cooling system.

First up was making shroud/fill plates to box in the radiator to the frame. Here are a few pics of the process. I built them from some 26ga (I think?) galvanized sheet metal. Took measurements from the Bus for rough size, and then used a piece of wire to bend up the profile so I could see how it would fit between the rad and frame. After that was verified, it was just a matter of cutting out the pieces, and then bending them in my HF sheet metal brake using the wire template as a guide. They are attached to the radiator using captive nuts and sheet metal screws through some factory holes on the radiator core.

Used a cheap HF shear to cut down the sheet metal. Makes easy clean work of it.

Post cut curly-ques Laughing

My wire "template". Makes it easy to check actual profile on the Bus between the rad and frame, and then doubles as a good tool when using the brake to bend the correct angles

Bender' up!

Profile shot

And finally fitted up

After the sides where done, I moved on to the rear panel. Similar process. A couple of rough measurements, cut out a panel, and then 30+ up to the bench and down under the Bus moves trimming little by little to fit the panel. What a pain in the neck, but worth the effort.

Here is the rear panel on the bench after its final trim.

And fitted to the Bus (temporarily held on with C-clamps to test before I drill holes in the saddle).

After I got done with the sides and rear pieces, I took it out for a test drive to see what those and dropping the rad 1.5" did. Results were very similar to what I saw when I tipped the nose of the rad down the other day.

With that good news, I did some longer extended driving to see how things did over a longer time span. The new arrangement is a BIG improvement from where I started. That said, I still thought that a scoop was likely time well spend to force air up to the top of the rad. Back to the shop I went, where I spent the rest of the afternoon banging out this.

A shot of the entire system

Its still a work in progress. I need to finish it out yet, but just wanted to get the basics together to test it out. The side plates of the scoop are bolted to the frame, and are made from some thicker 16ga (I think?) steel. The scoop itself is made from the same sheet the fill panels are made from. The scoop will be riveted to the side plates once complete. I actually drilled a couple of different holes in the front hole of the side plates so I can adjust the angle of attack on the scoop. Overkill, probably... but easier to do now than later Laughing

Here is a side shot with the scoop attached. Unfortunately it is visible, but its barely poking down and doesn't stand out all that much. The side plates will need to be painted since they are un-coated steel, so I'll paint them and make them blend in the with the chassis to make it even less noticeable.

All in all I'm happy with how it looks. The scoop is still higher ground clearance wise than the engine hanger/oil sump, so no worries there. I'm anxious to go take it out for a drive tomorrow and see how much of a difference it might make.

67 Beetle (TBD)

khh48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Very nice work done.
Maybe a guage like this will help you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manometer-Digital-Air-Pre...kT0_xyC-kQ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

khh48 wrote:
Very nice work done.
Maybe a guage like this will help you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manometer-Digital-Air-Pre...kT0_xyC-kQ

Thanks for the compliment!

As far as my manometer goes, I don't think there was anything technically wrong with the manometer itself. I think my issue was not using a true static pressure probe to measure. That, and I think there was truly very little pressure drop across the rad, as there was very little actual flow at the rad before I dropped it down.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 22

Jump to: