Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

It has to be one of my favorite builds. I love the opposition between the rims/tires/brakes and the paint. Well done sir!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

that bus is epic, and the only one I lust after here on the forum

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
It has to be one of my favorite builds. I love the opposition between the rims/tires/brakes and the paint. Well done sir!

Thank you sir! Its been a fun project for sure, and I'm super happy with the end result. I've always like the pro-touring type muscle cars, classic looks with all modern powertrain and suspension. So that's the direction I've been moving with this thing all along. Still got a few things on my to-do list left, but can't beat it where it is now.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that bus is epic, and the only one I lust after here on the forum

Thanks man! I take that as a huge compliment considering the level of Bus(es) you've built. I appreciate the props.

Did a little cruising around this afternoon. This was the real test of the adjustments made in the rear after my initial rubbing issues (i.e. redrill and spacers vs adaptors). Happy to report that everything in the rear is tucking well and has no clearance issues. Also getting the front brakes bedded in, and they are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Sweeeeeeeet!

How’s the braking? Improved or same? I honestly didn’t know you could tuck an 8.5” in the rear, I guess it has to be in the sweet spot but still, wow!
You are an adventurer, I like your style 😁
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ha! Maybe we'll have to step up and make our buses will become brake twins too!

Great job and great documentation - kudos and thanks Vee Dub Nut!!

fokker100 wrote:
Sweeeeeeeet!

How’s the braking? Improved or same? I honestly didn’t know you could tuck an 8.5” in the rear, I guess it has to be in the sweet spot but still, wow!

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Sweeeeeeeet!

How’s the braking? Improved or same?

Braking is awesome... definite improvement over the stock parts. Less pedal force for the same stopping power, super solid pedal feel, and they are VERY responsive. Plus they should be able to take quite a bit more repeated breaking without fade (spirited driving, mountain passes, etc), as they have the ability to shed a heat a lot better than the stock solid disk.

fokker100 wrote:
I honestly didn’t know you could tuck an 8.5” in the rear, I guess it has to be in the sweet spot but still, wow!

Yea me too originally... but did some digging and found some info that gave me a bit of hope, so I went for it. You have to be RIGHT on the money with everything, and it's not for the faint of heart, but it CAN fit. When I dropped from the 19mm adaptor and went with redrilled hubs and the 13mm spacer, I pulled the wheel in as far as I possibly could. The wheel hoop is RIGHT UP ON the drop plate (like I said, not for the faint of heart). But this gives me the best balance for clearance between the outer sidewall and outer fender lip, and inner sidewall and spring plate.

Ride_On wrote:

Great job and great documentation - kudos and thanks Vee Dub Nut!!

Thank you sir!

So far I'd definitely recommend the brakes... I'm loving them. Biggest hurdle for most folks is that with the 944 front hubs, you're pushed to the 5x130 PCD. This means Porsche wheels or some other sort of adaptor or aftermarket wheel.

As I mentioned on IG, these Porsche calipers are also very large. Compared to a comparable 4 pot Willwood caliper with the same size pistons, the Porsche calipers are much more massive. But they are also significantly more stiff in their design as a result. It may also be obvious, but you have to run a 16 or 17" wheel to clear it all. But they are OEM quality, have dust seals, etc... If you buy them new like I did, get ready for sticker shock. Shocked I think they charge extra for that name carved in the side of them. Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just a few more pics of the calipers themselves for detail.

For size reference, holding one in my hand. They're not small...

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

And because we all love more pictures.. I'll leave this one here too. Enjoying the fall weather here in north Georgia Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Great job as usual! Raising the bar for the rest of us. Well done.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:

That will probably be the next update, absolutely, I still plan to enjoy driving the bus as is though next year after 3 years without it 😅

As for Lanner, I totally agree, he takes the extra step to take the time to explain in detail what to do, I have been impressed, and for a rare time it is a shop in my “neighborhood”, why go elsewhere!
And for US people, Canadian money is cheap 👌
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I've never seen black KYB's. Just silver and white. What's the deal with these ones ?

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I can't answer your question beyond saying that is what is on my Bus, too. I believe I got them from the FLAPS.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

panel wrote:
I've never seen black KYB's. Just silver and white. What's the deal with these ones ?

The Excel-G are black, the older Gas-A-Just are white and the new Gas-A-Just are silver.
’65 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

panel wrote:

As Rich noted, those are Excel-G's. Somewhere here in the bay forum I had heard of a recommendation of running Gas-Adjust in the rears, and Excel-G's in the front as a good combo for Buses.

Mine already had gas adjust's in the rear when I bought it, so when I did the front suspension a few years ago, I picked up some Excel-G's for the front. They have been great so far.

Personally, my experience with Gas-Adjusts have been pretty mixed. No real complaints on the ones in the Bus, but I swore them off in my Beetle. Absolutely terrible and WAY to stiff on the Beetle. Was like riding in a wagon with no suspension. Some cheapy oil shocks rode significantly better in it.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Ride_On wrote:

That will probably be the next update, absolutely, I still plan to enjoy driving the bus as is though next year after 3 years without it 😅

As for Lanner, I totally agree, he takes the extra step to take the time to explain in detail what to do, I have been impressed, and for a rare time it is a shop in my “neighborhood”, why go elsewhere!
And for US people, Canadian money is cheap 👌

Absolutely agree... Lanner was/is a great guy to work with. Super knowledgeable, helpful, and just a nice guy to boot. He and I were also talking shop about the Subi swap. He's got a late bay that's going under the knife soon. I was happy to help share info from my build. Should be killer!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I can't answer your question beyond saying that is what is on my Bus, too. I believe I got them from the FLAPS.

Yup.. think I snagged mine off rock auto. They've been great so far.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Because I'm a picture whore...

I grabbed this one before moving the little tikes slide over to grandma's house. I've hauled all sorts of junk on this rack since I got it. Just super handy. Let me tell you, if you don't think you get enough looks driving a Bus around in general, strap a kids slide to the top Laughing Basically EVERYONE was giving us the WTF look as we drove across town.

From the local ATL VOLKS Vintage VW meetup this morning. Had about 30 cars show up. Awesome weather today, and we had a cool backdrop for pics.

And lastly, just a cool angle I grabbed in the shop. Like I said, not everyones cup of tea, but I love the way this thing has come out. We enjoy the heck out of it.

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Personally I like the ride the Gas-A-Justs offer on a Westy, especially a fully loaded one. I liked them so much I even put a set on my Nissan pickup this winter.

Bus looks great, I’m gonna repost the mural pic on my Bays and Murals thread.
’65 Deluxe Build
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Awesome pics, a beautiful bus!

That’s good news that Lanner is working on a late bay conversion, he should upgrade the brakes in the rear as well, as I honestly don’t know what to put there, his knowledge will be awesome.
Do you plan to upgrade the rear as well?
I know the original brakes are amazing on the bus, but sometimes the way we drive those nowadays, I won’t be unhappy to put discs in place of drums one day with this kind of engine and mountain driving.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Personally I like the ride the Gas-A-Justs offer on a Westy, especially a fully loaded one. I liked them so much I even put a set on my Nissan pickup this winter.

Bus looks great, I’m gonna repost the mural pic on my Bays and Murals thread.

Thanks Rich!

As far as the Gas-Adjusts, I've got no complaints on the ones in the rear of my Bus. I would imagine the extra weight of a Bus would help make them have a softer feel than they did on my Beetle.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: