Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Yes it arrived from Netherlands last Fall.
It is a nice design, but it is hand made, and I have one thing to say (I told already Lanner about it), when you weld a plate at 90 degrees on another one, you have to count that if you don’t tack the plate before welding, it will no longer keep the plate perpendicular and will move toward your weld when getting cold. And that is what happened for the plates holding the A arms.
I think a picture is worth 1000 words, I will post one or two so you will see.
I don’t think it won’t be a problem to fix it, it is just that the beam is powder coated, and it is a 1/4” thick, so I will see how it will end up.
I don’t remember how much it was total but the shipping and the customs fees were like 2/3 of the part, VERY expensive!
I thought also about your Boomerang plates in the rear and the fact that it rubbed on the chassis. So I purchased a 3” dropped rear arms from Red9 and hopefully the 1/2” margin would make the axles not touching the chassis. I’m not sure it will work since the Westfalia is heavier and I might need to play with the torsion bars, crossing the fingers it will be at a good height.
Anyway I will stick to the rear drums and probably go with the CE 5x130 drums to fit the Porsche wheels.
I will search for the photos of the Red9 and post it.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Besides those cons, it looks very nice, and the ring and pinion is surely an advantage. You can adjust the springs height and the shocks, 1 or 2 ways, that I don’t remember, I will have to check this.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Did you add a grease zerk to the box? I don't recall noticing one on either of mine, but seems like a good idea since you went to the grease.

Glad to see you're enjoying the Bus! I need to get both of mine going again. But I have a couple projects in line first, unfortunately.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Yes it arrived from Netherlands last Fall.
It is a nice design, but it is hand made, and I have one thing to say (I told already Lanner about it), when you weld a plate at 90 degrees on another one, you have to count that if you don’t tack the plate before welding, it will no longer keep the plate perpendicular and will move toward your weld when getting cold. And that is what happened for the plates holding the A arms.
I think a picture is worth 1000 words, I will post one or two so you will see.
I don’t think it won’t be a problem to fix it, it is just that the beam is powder coated, and it is a 1/4” thick, so I will see how it will end up.
I don’t remember how much it was total but the shipping and the customs fees were like 2/3 of the part, VERY expensive!
I thought also about your Boomerang plates in the rear and the fact that it rubbed on the chassis. So I purchased a 3” dropped rear arms from Red9 and hopefully the 1/2” margin would make the axles not touching the chassis. I’m not sure it will work since the Westfalia is heavier and I might need to play with the torsion bars, crossing the fingers it will be at a good height.
Anyway I will stick to the rear drums and probably go with the CE 5x130 drums to fit the Porsche wheels.
I will search for the photos of the Red9 and post it.

Thanks for the info and pic sharing!

That really stinks on those tabs being pulled like that, considering the cost of the part and all. Fixable, but you really shouldn't have to.

I've considered designing and making my own front suspension setup. Got a few technical hurdles I would have to overcome first (some targeted learning/education, and component identification challenges). Maybe someday... Would be cool to have another option like this in our part of the world. I'd love some better adjustability, and a rack and pinion setup for sure.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Did you add a grease zerk to the box? I don't recall noticing one on either of mine, but seems like a good idea since you went to the grease.

Glad to see you're enjoying the Bus! I need to get both of mine going again. But I have a couple projects in line first, unfortunately.

Good eye!

Yes, I drilled and tapped the box for a grease zerk. Made it super easy to pump it full of the corn head grease. I also tapped the original oil fill opening up top, and installed an NPT plug. The original plastic cap came out in pieces, and I wasn't confident in anything else I had around to actually seal it up. Of course you do have to have the top plug removed when pumping the grease in, so the air has somewhere to go.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just another quick photo drop. This weekend I got all the interior pulled back out, the final clean-up items done, got the new seat mounts and b-pillar gussets all painted, and all the seat stand mats resinstalled. I used some L90D pastel white spray paint from WolfsburgWest. Made trim pieces for the top sides of the seat stand mats out of 0.75" aluminum strap. Gives everything a nice finished look. Very happy with how it all came out.

Now I just have the long wait for my upholstery to arrive from SewFine. The wife and I picked everything out and got it all on order. We sort of went all out on the selections, and apparently we have expensive taste (ouch $$$). Looking like a ~12-14 week lead time until we get anything in hand. Going to try and finish my headliner finally in the mean time.

A few pics for the looky loos Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Very nice!

Did you use spray adhesive to re-attach the seat stand mats? Are the mats original or did you buy them recently?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

awesome work and finish
just to add to the future considerations.
that it doesn't have to be a camper to make good use of a PS swivel seat.
I find it quite handy while @ the ice cream or car hop stop. esp so if the weather is less than agreeable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rob.e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Just read your thread start to finish - super build and great video too on the brakes - awesome.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Very nice!

Did you use spray adhesive to re-attach the seat stand mats? Are the mats original or did you buy them recently?

I only used some spray adhesive on the back corners, around where the seat belt retractors mount. The back edges on the mat there didn't want to lay out flat and were curling up some. Otherwise every other area laid out nice and seemed to not move.

The mats are not original, but are a few years old, purchased by the previous owner of the Bus from Wolfsburg West. Since I changed the seat mounts in the project, the cut outs in the mats are now different/off, but not enough to make me buy any replacements for now.

danfromsyr wrote:
awesome work and finish
just to add to the future considerations.
that it doesn't have to be a camper to make good use of a PS swivel seat.
I find it quite handy while @ the ice cream or car hop stop. esp so if the weather is less than agreeable.

Yea I agree that is still something to consider. Had a similar comment from someone on IG to the same effect. I really probably went a little large on my b-pillar gussets to do that, as I think they would foul into the legs of someone sitting in the seat reversed. Wasn't something I had on my radar at the time.

rob.e wrote:
Just read your thread start to finish - super build and great video too on the brakes - awesome.

Thanks for the comments! Its been a fun project, and has continued to really evolve and get better and better.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Another update on my on-going build thread... I'm really on a roll lately Laughing

This particular update has been a long time coming, but I've finally got my newly built 091 from Matt Steedle Transmissions.

Before I jump into the new stuff, let me recap what I've been running on for the past 3.5 years/13k miles. If you go back to page 8/9 in this thread, you'll see where I picked up a rough Westy project that had a (poorly) swapped TDi engine and a regeared 091 (stock 4.57 r/p, 1.17 3rd, 0.70 4th). I ultimately un-swapped that Bus, kept the 091, off-loaded the project to someone else, and then used that regeared box in my swap.

Here is a couple of past comments/feedback on what I thought about the gearing:

Ives676 wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I also like the new 3rd and 4th gear ratios the more I drive it. The 0.70 4th is certainly long, and a bit of a jump from the 1.17 3rd, but it drives really well in that 55-65mph range around town and on back roads and country highways. Its WAY more calm feeling than the old air-cooled plant was anyways. Beyond that, cruising at 70+mph is just unbelievable. 70 is right at 3000rpm with my 0.70 4th and rear tire OD, and it runs smooth as silk cruising down the freeway. Nice and quiet too, without the old air-cooled engine screaming its guts out behind you. (PS: I have it on good authority that it will EASILY run well beyond 70mph too, but quite frankly the Bus handing is sketchy at those speeds, so after a quick blitz well in access of 20+ over, I brought it back down to legal (and more prudent) speeds Twisted Evil )

The only complaint I probably do have with the current ratios is at 45mph in town. I personally think engine speed is a bit high in 3rd at that speed, and a bit low in 4th. Kind of gives the feeling that the gap is a bit too big between the two.Not a huge issue or anything, just a general observation and different behavior than the stock box. My first impressions after running around with this gearing was that I would likely tweak it to change this feel if I ever get into this transmission for work later, but the more I've been driving it around, the more I have gotten used to it and think I might would actually keep it as is. Really it seems to work pretty well. I guess it will really just be a long term thing to see if I get used to it, or if I continue to notice the spacing and eventually make a change in it. Only time will tell.

This is my exact experience as well. Lots of people were chiming in on my build saying that this shouldn't be the case but obviously they aren't in the vehicle experiencing it. I have a very similar ratio as you that was done by Benco Trans:

1st: 3.80
2nd: 2.06
3rd: 1.14
4th: 0.70
4.57 r&p
Welded gears, hard key, chromoly pinion nut, welded cross shaft.

Driving on hilly two lane highways where speed limits are 55 I would have to either speed up to make the engine rpms come up in 4th or slow down to lower the rpms in third for inclines. Other wise I was lugging the engine in 4th or revving it up pretty high in 3rd. If I knew a big hill was coming I would get a good running start in 4th and drop to third as I slowed going up the incline. In third I had plenty of power to cruise right up the incline. I live in the Ozarks Mountains in Northwest Arkansas so we have hilly rolling terrain. I am sure this ratio would be fine in flatter terrain but I would prefer a tighter ratio between 3rd and 4th for my location. Actually I would prefer a 5 speed Very Happy but I will deal with what I have for now and adjust my driving style and expectations.

As mentioned above, the gear spacing between 3-4 was less than ideal. It was certainly manageable, and made for a real nice cruiser on the freeway, but had times where the gap between 3-4 just really stood out, and 4th just felt really long. Having to roll into the throttle at speed in 4th, or running up steeper inclines on slower ~55mph 2 lane roads, it just didn't have the feel I was looking for. Combine all this with the fact that my old 091 was really noisy in the low gears, and also had some unusual bearing noise (main shaft or idler bearing?) when the box was cold, I knew that I was going to need to rebuild/swap it at some point, and wanted to roll some gearing adjustments into the mix as well.

For a variety of reasons, this new box build took quite a while. Matt is an EXCELLENT trans builder, and for that reason he stays super busy (i.e. there is a wait list). In addition, some of the parts I was after took some time to get a hold of, and there was some shipping/machining time that factored into into everything as well. Ultimately I wasn't in a huge rush, and he did me a real solid and built the entire box from a core he had on hand, so I didn't have to take my Bus off-line for any length of time rebuilding what I had. So instead I've just been (im)patiently waiting, and continuing to drive the wheels off my Bus. Finally though, I received the new transmission from Matt last week.

Here are the highlights on the new specs:

091 w/sleeved pinion bore case
4.14 r/p (GT gears)
3.78 1st (stock)
2.06 2nd (stock)
1.25 3rd (from Vanagon)
0.812 4th (GT gears)
Weddle slider hub
Folts aluminum gear carrier
Nose cone thrust plate
Steel caged main & idler bearings
4 spider diff
NOS VW mainsheet
New VW syncros

As far as the gearing changes go, what this ultimately did was kept the new 3rd in the same spot overall compared to the old box, but brought 1-2 up slightly closer with the new r/p ratio (they felt really short with the stock 4.57 r/p), and just slightly pulled 4th back towards 3rd. The goal was for a more natural feeling spread through all the gears, and a smidge more rpm in 4th to make the ~55-60mph 2 lane cruising better, as this is where I drive the Bus that majority of the time. The ultimate RPM difference at 70mph is only 150rpm, but it gets the engine in a slightly better power range for elevation changes at 55-60. The rest of the parts/mods where aimed at making as near bullet-proof as a box as I could. I knew I was going to really have to bite the bullet on this one, but I definitely wanted to "buy once, cry once" on this deal. And I cried LOL

With all the anticipation, I had the Bus in the shop with the fluids drained the day before the trans was scheduled to deliver to me. I had everything lined up for a marathon weekend of doing a full RnR on the drivetrain.

Saturday was basically a full tear down day for me. As this was only the second time I've pulled the engine in this thing (and that was over 3 years ago), it was a bit of a slower process as I had to remember/figure out the correct order to get everything apart. The EJ25 is not quite as easy to pull as the original air-cooled lump, but certainly isn't terrible either.

With the engine out of the way, out came the trans. Old meets new.

While the full drivetrain was all out, I took the time to do new fuel lines, fixed the weeping cam plug seal on the front left bank, and generally just gave everything a good cleaning and once over. Happy to say that everything looked really good. As quick as I got it all out and apart, I started back in on reassembly on Sunday. It took me all day, but I got all the small items above done, got the new trans hung, and the engine stabbed back in by late afternoon. Then I filled the cooling system, checked everything for leaks, and it roared back to life.

Such a really cool shot of everything all back together again... The belly of the beast

After that marathon of work, I took a short ~10-15 mile victory drive to make sure everything worked, and get my first impressions of the box. As I told Matt when I updated him, "Wow brother.... night and day"

There is no comparison in the new box compared to the old one. Matt's build is SOOOOOOOOO much quieter than my old box, and the gear spacing feels super natural all the way through. The was something I really battled with when I spec'ed everything out. Happy to say that it's a huge improvement, and seems to have hit the nail on the head for what I was after.

I admittedly haven't put many miles on it yet, but the first impression has left me over the moon. So happy to finally have this major project checked off the list, and looking forward to putting some miles on this box. I'll be sure to follow up with my longer term impressions after I get some miles on this thing.

I can say that Matt Steedle is a great guy to work with. He does really high quality work, and has great attention to detail. Just be prepared to wait in line as he stays super busy, but he's definitely worth the wait IMO.

Guess that's all for now... No I'm just waiting on my Sewfine order to get the interior looking right Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

i see you went all in just looking at that trans

i was doing the 091 r+p plus a taller 3/4

basically that was cruising around town mostly in 3rd (which I can run up to 90) but to your point 3/4 spacing is important.

Matt has just been doing a taller R+P for most of my builds these days which is pretty much the same net result...it brings ALL the gears up.

every time i see you post about your bus i get the lotion out

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Nice, very nice!
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i see you went all in just looking at that trans

i was doing the 091 r+p plus a taller 3/4

basically that was cruising around town mostly in 3rd (which I can run up to 90) but to your point 3/4 spacing is important.

Matt has just been doing a taller R+P for most of my builds these days which is pretty much the same net result...it brings ALL the gears up.

every time i see you post about your bus i get the lotion out

LOL.. thanks!

Yea, the stock 091 4.57r/p and longer 3/4 does work, and is probably slightly more cost effective than doing a different r/p and gearing like I did, but it just left a bit to be desired for me. The 3-4 gap just wasn't totally natural. I lived with it, but took to the opportunity to make it better in the new build.

I'm now essentially at all stock ratios from 1-3, and just slightly longer with the 0.812 GT 4th to give it some legs on the freeway. Combine this with the GT 4.14 r/p, and the box feels right everywhere. Its worth noting that my 1.25 3rd is a courser tooth Vanagon gear compared to the original fine tooth gears the Buses used, which ultimately is going to be stronger, albeit maybe noisier (but isn't noticeable).

Of course all this depends on tire size as well. My rear tire is just over 25", so pretty close to stock diameter of the 185R14 tire. Folks that are running the 27" all terrains might make a different choice. Same for folks running short lo-pro's on 15" wheels.

Its all in the combo...

Shonandb wrote:
Nice, very nice!

Thanks!

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

yea, that's one thing everyone forgets is tire size, as it really does come into play. once you decide the combo you're kinda committed

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Time for another update.

After completing the bulkhead removal and Vanagon seat swap, I was left with a rather unsightly miss matched interior. Since I've put this Bus together its been miss matched with black vinyl seats up front and OG brown seats in the rear, and I always just let it ride. Didn't bother me a ton, and interior is one of those things that's deceptively expensive when you bit off into it. However, once I put those blue/grey Vanagon buckets in, I felt it was time to finally bite the bullet. Functionally everything was working great and comfortable, now it was just time to get it looking right. Shortly after completing the swap, the wife and I selected all the interior fabrics, worked with Sewfine, and got it all on order. Sewfine estimated that it was a 12-14 week production time, so nothing to do but hurry up and wait. So we did.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I knew the upholstery was getting close, so it was time to get the headliner completed before everything else got started. Now I've had these 5x5 birch panels since I bought the Bus over 5 years ago, but they never made it to the top of my list. I always expected that it was going to be sort of a tedious pain in the neck process (and I was right), so I just kept putting if off. With the upholstery coming in hot, I had no more excuses. Fortunately I had a template for the front panel that I had gotten from another Samba member several years ago, so I at least had something to work from. So out came the panels and jigsaw, and I got to work. It was a bit of a trial and error process getting it all to fit, but I managed to get all the main panels figured out of the course of a full Saturday. The first/front panel took the longest, but then I got the hang of it, and the fitment on the second and third were just easier all around.

Easy as 1, 2, 3:

I broke the panels up between each of the cross supports on the roof. This let me make a trim strip from some of the cut off pieces, and screw directly into the cross support

With everything cut and fit (not shown is the cuts for the dome lights), I proceeded to remove everything for finishing. I wanted the stain color to pull from the wood rim on the steering wheel, so I went with a honey colored stain, and semi-gloss poly. One coat of stain, and 3 coats of poly, and things looked pretty good.

The front panel mid process

Once we got everything fully coated and dry, I popped them all in one night after work. What a huge change they made in the appearance! They are definitely not perfect, as I have some haze in the poly coats, which from best I can tell is either moisture from the air (been humid lately), or the flattening agent not well enough mixed into the poly. Also read (after the fact of course), for multi coats they suggest high gloss for the first coats, and only semi or satin coat on the last. Just stuff you learn along the way. The haze is defiantly minor, and can only been seen if you get in the light just right, but it is what it is at this point.

The headliner projected wrapped up just in time, as the next day after I had the panels installed, my Sewfine order delivered.

Now the wife and I did a lot of deliberation on the interior colors, and we even pulled in Carol with Sewfine for opinions. I wanted something that was not just a basic recover, and wanted to have accents with more than one color. I definitely wanted a more bold look, and I really wanted to include some sort of vintage plaid, as I always thought those looked really cool and fit the vibe I was going for. I looked at several orange/red colored plaids, but since my Bus (which is faded Kasan Red) is really sort of right between the two, nothing I found seemed like it would match real well. That put me on the path of the more "neutral" westy brown plaid. From there it figuring out what went with it. Didn't want to just do two tone with a plaid insert, and I liked the seats that had the sides/back different from the face of the seat, but was having trouble figuring out how to make it all blend. Carol came up with the idea of the contrast piping as a means to tie it all together, and based on that suggestion, the wife and I pretty quickly figured out what we liked. Naturally we came up with the most expensive combination of fabrics and options, as the plaid, contrast piping, multi colors, and horizontal pleats were all add ons. But, we really liked what we had come up with, so the wife and I pulled the trigger.

Selection: Elite 3 color seats, brown westy plaid inserts with horizontal pleats on black tweed, vanagon brown vinyl sides/back, and vanagon tan contrast piping. Quite a combination, but seemed to do well with combining the brown and black tones.

For the past 12 weeks though, I've been stressing about the fabric selection. I knew it was going to be bold, and I was really worried that we might have went too far. Didn't want it to be tacky, but its a fine balance between bold/classy and tacky. I was worried we might have got it wrong. But we were committed, and I just anxiously waited until everything showed up. Even when I finally got them in my hand, I liked them, but still wasn't 100% sure and needed to see them installed.

Started out with the two front buckets (which is as far as I've gotten as of writing). Sewfine has a nice pictorial guide on how to recover the Vanagon buckets, and it was pretty easy to follow. Definitely tedious, but not terribly difficult if your handy. I won't post a bunch of pics, as this isn't intended to be instructional, but here are a few along the way

Trying to see how they were going to look

Breaking down the stock vanagon seat

And then back together

Old vs new

(Note: I have the arm-rests recovered too, but have not yet reinstalled them on the seats when I was taking pics)

The lighting in the basement really makes the plaid look more green in the pictures than it is in person, but overall the recover went really well. The quality of the Sewfine upholstery and pads seemed really good, and with their instructions, the install went pretty easy. After I got the first seat done, which took over half the day, I knocked out the second seat in approximately half the time. At that point I couldn't wait any longer, and wanted to see how they looked in the Bus.

And a little plug for Sewfine

In the end, I'm over the moon on how they look in the Bus. I love the contrast of colors, and how the seats tie in the browns and blacks of the headliner, interior panels, and steering wheel. They have a really great vintage (almost Porsche) type vibe. Completely happy with the results so far. Still working on getting the middle and rear benches covered. I'll be starting in on those this afternoon and this weekend. Hoping to have everything wrapped up in the next couple of weeks.

All for now!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Nice, very nice!

Since you mentioned "Porsche like" you may now have to add a turbo into the mix so it not only looks Porsche like, but accelerates like one too....... Very Happy
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

By far The Most Beautiful Bus on the Samba. Absolutely love it. Shocked

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

how many times did you want to throw the arm rests across the yard? they suck to get the covers on

looks great! i need to get back in line with them for the vanagon. they did the covers for that and did a great job

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looks great man!

I've also been dreading the plywood headliner, but I really need to get it done soon and this is the inspiration than I need :) What thickness is the plywood and did you fasten them with anything other than the trim strip? Also, for the two rear pieces – is the width constant all the way?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: