Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm hooking up a pair of KC Daylighters and have everything in place; mounted, fused harness, and relay. I tested by using a 12v plug in the cig lighter that had a red/black coming from it. Obviously, I need to wire in permanently and that raises my question:
Which fuse location can handle the draw these spotlights create? I believe they are 100w.
Thanks so much.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

Don't go running those with the covers on for long.

No fuse will supply enough power for those, you need a new separate 12ga wire from the starter terminal up to a relay in the front.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Don't go running those with the covers on for long.

No fuse will supply enough power for those, you need a new separate 12ga wire from the starter terminal up to a relay in the front.

Thanks so much. I was kind of thinking that might be the way to go, but thought I'd ask because the fuse box is so convenient.

We bought these on a yard sale years ago so no instructions. Yes, the lamps get immediately hot so Id assume would cook the covers.

Thanks again.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

run a dedicated wire, relay and fuse from the starter stud. If those are 100 watt each then 200 \ 12V is 17 amps. Your ignition and light switch don't need that stress.

Also if those are fog lights then they can come on only with low beams. If they are driving lights you normally bring them on with high beams or independently and leave the covers on except when you plan to use them. Don't run driving lights with low beams when there is oncoming traffic.

Preserve YOUR Freedom of Speech ~ as best you can, avoid Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and Google. Support businesses near you, and buy local whenever you can.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
run a dedicated wire, relay and fuse from the starter stud. If those are 100 watt each then 200 \ 12V is 17 amps. Your ignition and light switch don't need that stress.

Also if those are fog lights then they can come on only with low beams. If they are driving lights you normally bring them on with high beams or independently and leave the covers on except when you plan to use them. Don't run driving lights with low beams when there is oncoming traffic.

Absolutely. We are in a rural area with stretches of unlit road on my commute. I'm super respectful to usage of driving lights. Drove a low profile MGB for 15 years and those new-car xenon driving lights from other cars were blinding - I've been on the receiving end. These will only be used as a true necessity.

Thanks so much, very happy I asked. Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Absolutely. We are in a rural area with stretches of unlit road on my commute. I'm super respectful to usage of driving lights. Drove a low profile MGB for 15 years and those new-car xenon driving lights from other cars were blinding - I've been on the receiving end. These will only be used as a true necessity.

Thanks so much, very happy I asked. Smile

we put some Super Oscars on a car we used to pull the race car back in the very late 1970's. Pulled down a side road in Calif Central Valley, no cars. Hit high beams then hit the Oscars - It was like day time for 1/2 mile almost. In the last 15 years Cathy and I have driven across the USA many times, and almost no where does one find empty roads. I think maybe going up to Amarillo on a Texas local highway maybe we went 15 minutes with no oncoming traffic. I have fog lights on the cars but driving lights around here never get used. I can't even turn on my high beams for more than 5 or 6 seconds before a car appears.

Preserve YOUR Freedom of Speech ~ as best you can, avoid Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and Google. Support businesses near you, and buy local whenever you can.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooking Up KC Daylighters - Which Fuse Location? Reply with quote

Yes, nowadays, the chance for oncoming traffic is great in most places. Mainly installed for side roads that are ink black for about 6 weeks of the year up here (PNW). I get commutes where it's dark by 5, moonless, torrential rain, and zero road lighting for two or three .5 mile stretches.
The MG was brutal when you throw hot breath and a fogging windscreen into the mix.
To be fair, not dark/rainy enough to see how the bus handles such darkness but I want this back-up "just in case".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: