Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ? Reply with quote

Looking to do something inside my sub zero garage with the little energy I have today. BTW on Saturday it was 54 degrees outside, and 18 degrees inside my garage.

What size are the bolts I need to mount the front shocks ? I purchased a stainless steel hardware kit many years ago, and I think the front mounting kit is the only thing missing from the box that contains mounting hardware for the rest of the car including the rear shocks.

Thanks
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ? Reply with quote

I'm guessing you need this:
https://www.bughaus.com/Shock_Bolt_-_111513475A.htm

111-513-475A
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ? Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
What size are the bolts I need to mount the front shocks ?
Paul, I'm not sure what you mean; "bolts" to mount the front shocks on a '70 Ghia? Go back inside and warm up 'cause I think you're not going to find the bolts: the lower shock mount is on the lower trailing arm, and the upper shock mount isn't a simple bolt, it's a "snubber" assembly that threads onto the stock shock and looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can probably find some stainless steel nuts in that totally stainless assortment you got that will fit the lower and upper mounting points.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
What size are the bolts I need to mount the front shocks ?
Paul, I'm not sure what you mean; "bolts" to mount the front shocks on a '70 Ghia? Go back inside and warm up 'cause I think you're not going to find the bolts: the lower shock mount is on the lower trailing arm, and the upper shock mount isn't a simple bolt, it's a "snubber" assembly that threads onto the stock shock and looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can probably find some stainless steel nuts in that totally stainless assortment you got that will fit the lower and upper mounting points.

I do have that part but don't have the bolt and nuts to attached the shock at the bottom, and I believe the top. When I removed the old shocks I had to cut the bolts away.
Thanks for the reply.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ? Reply with quote

There are no bolts in the lowers for the front. It is a stud which is part of the trailing arm (see photo)

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Trailing-Arm-Ball-Joint-Lower-Right-131405152A-p/131-405-152a.htm

In the rear if you need bolts then be sure to get shock bolts from a reputable parts dealer that are hardened correctly. You do not want the bolts to bend over time and try to get them out by drilling, sawing, cursing etc.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What Size Bolts For Front Shocks ? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
There are no bolts in the lowers for the front. It is a stud which is part of the trailing arm (see photo)

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Trailing-Arm-Ball-Joint-Lower-Right-131405152A-p/131-405-152a.htm

In the rear if you need bolts then be sure to get shock bolts from a reputable parts dealer that are hardened correctly. You do not want the bolts to bend over time and try to get them out by drilling, sawing, cursing etc.

My vert came to me in boxes with a host of hidden issues. One of them is the left side part you just showed the picture of, that stud is missing and of course its where I looked first ,....

. The rear bolts I have in stainless. In fact I bought a kit containing all the nuts, bolts, screws, wagers for the entire car. Thanks for getting me back on track.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: