Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

It'd be easy to attach two 12v computer fans to one of the louver's screen panels, or to another panel of ABS or something cut to the same size. You'd have nice crossflow ventilation for drying out your stuff or just keeping the interior cool.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

“Fantastic Vent Fan” + Vanistan Louvered Windows

http://www.fantasticvent.com

http://www.vanistan.com/louvered_window_screen_inserts.html
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Sheesh.. Thought I was more Macho, guess it turns out I get cold too quickly these days. Even in Cozumel in April or May I still pack my thermal undersuit and 3/2. So... IF I were VanLifing it there, I'd need to dry out 2 suits! Well... 3, as my Gal has a 3/2 as well, I suppose I'd ask her to come along.

I guess I would bend a stainless rod into a crime-scene guy outline. Pull the suit(s) over your guy-shape wire and zip it up. Use the top rack bars and some gun-lock cables (can easily find these for free) to secure them at each end. You'd still have to find a way to keep them from sun damage, I guess a taller wire shape to pull a tent fly over? I am a big fan of fiberglass tent poles. Make a dome out of an old tent fly, cut the dome up just corner to corner of your top rack so there's an air gap.

Love the idea of the 12V fans. Sounds like you'd mostly have sun? There are a bunch of inexpensive mini-solar panels out there, thin, easy to toss/stow. 12V out the door jamb from the dash plug would work too. I'd make a fitting for the fan/input at the neck, and plug the hands/feet a bit so its balloons up. A properly sized hole at each exit would let air flow through.

Mostly the problem I'd have would be the water on the roof, especially if you hadn't had a ton of time to rinse the salt off well enough EVERY time. I find hanging a suit to drip dry is a must. At least for a while. Maybe adapt the top rack idea to a vertical one behind the driver door? Make a stainless wire loop on the outside of your ARGs and find a secure spot to zip the gun-lock around down by the LP tank? Door handle should work for one arm's gun-lock. Sun damage minimization would be easier on this, as you'd just park with the slider to the south. In this scenario, I'd want to have my crime-scene guy bowed outward so it would stay off the van.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

We don't need no stinking wet suits...

When I went for a dip in Carlsbad, someone called the cops on me reporting a suicide attempt - the cops were real nice, and one said "You're from back east , aren't you?"

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Any excuse to buy those Vanistan louvers...they rock!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Road-Car-Clothes-Bar/12183927

And these:

That's a pretty good idea. And cheap, all things considered.
zuma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Hang it out a south/west facing window at your 9-5.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Road-Car-Clothes-Bar/12183927

And these:

kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

Keep moving West, you won't need a wetsuit. Sorry, I couldn't resist..
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

I hang(strap it half way point, not on a wetsuit hanger) mine on my bike hitch rack all the time both on the van and my civic. Most ppl don't want to steal or touch damp clothes. I also drive around with it, usually if i get on the freeway, it will be mostly dry on the outside in 30-40min and i flip it inside out and dry that again. But other nice driver always honking at me and let me know i have a wetsuit on my bike rack.
If you have a westy or poptop you can also throw it up at the luggage rack but that is as long you remember to take it down before you drive off.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

The guy that actually started the #vanlife he surfed and he created a wetsuit drying closet in his van. You need to do some research and find out what he did. For full timers this would be good for towels and laundry.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer

Last edited by 70coupyel on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

i'll take a fading wetsuit over the smell of a continually damp one anyday! they gotta be hung up to dry!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
You wouldn't want the wetsuit exposed to sunlight all day, it would get ruined pretty quickly. Neoprene does not like UV I believe.

Yeah, I was thinking about that... Here's an idea, what if I get one of those marine powered solar fans and install that on the top of my swing away box I have on the back of the van with a dry rack to drape my suit on? I think we are on to something. That would incorporate the fan idea from earlier... Would seem like a wast of storage though....
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
You wouldn't want the wetsuit exposed to sunlight all day, it would get ruined pretty quickly. Neoprene does not like UV I believe.

Yeah, I was thinking about that... Here's an idea, what if I get one of those marine powered solar fans and install that on the top of my swing away box I have on the back of the van with a dry rack to drape my suit on? I think we are on to something. That would incorporate the fan idea from earlier... Would seem like a wast of storage though....
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wet Suit Drying Reply with quote

these or roll yer own....

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/locks-alarms?limit=all

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
run a vinyl coated steel cable thru the arms and lock it to the grab handle inside, cables running out between the door and frame. old motorcycle trick to keep your riding jacket from walking.

people can still cut the suit off the cable, ruining it, just to be mean but there are destroyers everywhere.

-dan

I like this idea. I think I might give it a go.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Surfing in Montana?...... Think

Dave

I actually live in California now... It is an unorthadox handle Wink.
Finagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

If you have a decent, or even medium-sized rack on the roof, I could see some method by which you sandwich the wet suit between some heavy-ish gauge metal screen. Locking said screen to the rack?

Assuming it's a dry or cloudless day, you'd probably have a black wetsuit dry within an hour or two.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanlife and Wetsuit Drying Reply with quote

if you have a gym membership can't you leave it in a locker there an have it dry?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: