Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Damaged door at strap bracket mount
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonVWMiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Damaged door at strap bracket mount Reply with quote

Hey friends:

Iím hoping to get ideas and opinions for a fix to my cargo door strap mount. The door was badly damaged by a prior owner who then put machine screws in the holes and used nuts to hold the brackets. It was ugly and the ends of the machine screws stuck out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Iím trying to come up with a fix that doesnít involve welding new metal on the door. One thought is to make a plate out of aluminum to slide behind the damaged door frame with holes aligned for the mounting. I guess Iíd need a 3rd screw hidden under the door panel to hold it in place so it doesnít slip if I wanted to take the bracket off in the future...

Any other easy fix ideas?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Damaged door at strap bracket mount Reply with quote

Get a plate of 18-16g steel, drill and install the correct size nut-serts. Oversize drill the original location on the door so the nut-serts are sunken below the level of the door frame. Rivet it in with steel rivets.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DonVWMiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Damaged door at strap bracket mount Reply with quote

Thanks Bulli...I Fixed it! Had some 16 gauge steel and drilled and tapped three holes: 2 for the bracket screws and one to hold the steel in place forever. Lowered it in place with a wire.

While I was behind the trim panel I pulled out the fiberglass insulation and installed some ThermoTec Super Sonic Matt and then topped with some Mylar covered bubble wrap I had in my shop.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: