Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of the doors with metal torn / deformed where latch mounts to the door.....what have people done to secure a repair to eliminate this from happening. It appears that the geometry of the latch closing puts pressure on this area tearing away the latch mount.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
I've seen a lot of the doors with metal torn / deformed where latch mounts to the door.....what have people done to secure a repair to eliminate this from happening. It appears that the geometry of the latch closing puts pressure on this area tearing away the latch mount.
Thanks

I’ve only seen this on the long panel window behind the drivers seat. Not sure why.
You’d think the mounting point on the pop out frame would give before the mount on the body.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Is it because of how the driver realizes they are sweltering so they reach back there and manhandle it open at a traffic light- often out of anger?

I can't see this as being unique to double cabs in the slightest. But I sure can see it if it is consistently the windows directly behind the front seat(s).

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Is it because of how the driver realizes they are sweltering so they reach back there and manhandle it open at a traffic light- often out of anger?

Yes, probably.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

It seems like when that particular scoop window is popped there is an increased snap when the air hooks into it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
hitest wrote:

Yes, probably.

My theory is it's the most opened window - it's only popout the driver can easily crack open

Increased wear + the welding of the mounting bracket sucks compared to some of the others and it snaps off.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

OK, I wasn't to clear about this so......let me try again. Repairing the latch mount area on my cargo/pass door.

What I started with.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Patched.

Triangle spacer held in place with tape.

What I'm trying to duplicate. Is that a spacer under window latch mounting point?

What I have mocked together.

I think the the base of the mounting points (door and window) need to be even to each other. Because if I hold the base down to triangle taped down and try to operate the latch, it won't close. (So does the spacer on window frame make the latch base flush with door base. The driver side bases are flush to each other.

Hope I have made this clear enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Validated that there is a spacer (circled) on window side of the latch, to keep window side of the latch and door side of the latch on same plane.
Thanks gents !
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Yes, here it is apart too, as we discussed earlier today Smile

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Very cool Everett, I'll be making that soon.
Thanks again!
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Anyone with originals able to measure the thickness of the spacer in the above photo? Mine are missing and I can make them I just need the thickness. From the earlier picture with it mounted it looks thicker than the threaded part that is welded to the frame.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Anyone with originals able to measure the thickness of the spacer in the above photo? Mine are missing and I can make them I just need the thickness. From the earlier picture with it mounted it looks thicker than the threaded part that is welded to the frame.

A picture, a bit blurry, of the final product, I’m not near to give you the thickness, but you can see it’s close to 2X the threaded latch mount.

Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:
Matthew Tolbert wrote:
EverettB wrote:

A picture, a bit blurry, of the final product, I’m not near to give you the thickness, but you can see it’s close to 2X the threaded latch mount.

Thanks Tom. I found a piece of metal today that’s around 4mm thick I’m going to make some out of to try.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

So my 60 dbl cab should only have that spacer on rear door window and not the other side? 🤔
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

El Guero wrote:
So my 60 dbl cab should only have that spacer on rear door window and not the other side? 🤔

Just on the door side, you are correct
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab passenger door pop out latch mount Reply with quote

Ok. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: