Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vw insurance
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfdbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Vw insurance Reply with quote

Is there a insurance company that covers just vintage cars that are not driven more the 20-50 miles a year? I am paying way too much on a car that just sits in the garage. Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

50 miles... cheaper to get a bicycle.

What do you consider cheap? I pay $260 with unlimited mileage, agreed value and zero deductible..

https://www.amig.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

I use Condon & Skelly for my other antique cars, and am quite happy. 50-mile towing, original parts replacement, agreed upon value. Hagerty is also popular in the hobby. Some "regular" auto insurance providers may have antique/classic car policies, but the ones specific to the hobby tend to be easier to work with. You will have to prove you have a daily driver, provide photos of your car, and list where it is stored. C & S requires enclosed secure storage (typical garage qualifies). They all restrict driving some, but are more liberal than what States require for antique auto registration.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

I have Hagerty. Full coverage, towing, etc. Agreed to value.

Car needs to be garaged. Send a photo and state that you have another car that is your daily driver.

I pay $157.00 for a one-year policy.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

I also have Hagerty for my two VWs.

You agree on a valuation, and the rate is based on that. For example, I have my 1971 Convertible's agreed value as $10K. Less for my 1970 sedan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

I use Infinity Auto. Agreed upon value, etc. ive been happy.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

I have had Hagerty for at least a decade on my classic cars, Very inexpensive for good coverage limits. Your mileage is much lower than their limits, so youre just fine with them. Last time I checked it was something like 200 bucks for three cars for full year. I get a Big discount for multi cars.

My California Registration costs far more than the insurance, and they keep tacking on more and more fees, Just shot up another 40 bucks, now they allow the county to assess a yearly car fee on top of the dmv. That is an extra 25 bucks per year per car in my county in the San Fransisco Bay Area.

On two of my low mile classics, the fees can be more than half a dollar per mile driven, which makes our classic low mile cars the biggest road tax payers of any vehicle per mile, even sometimes more than semitrucks are charged! Think about that. Shocked

Anyway check out Hagerty, and another one I have heard of is Grundy for classic cars, some folks I know have them. shop around, get at least three quotes, and compare.

Good luck, save ,money, more money for the VW!!!!

PS contact your representatives, county councils, etc and let them know you would like reduced fees for classic seldom driven cars. Let them know your classic is low miles, does not contribute much to road wear, thus an unfair fee, or use tax structure exists. Let them know that classic car hobbies contribute to economy, teach needed skills, preserve history, brings pleasure, encourages kids interested in car hobby to get into engineering, science, highly skilled blue collar technical professions, etc...

Bug On,, Preserve our Bugs for All Time! Yellow 181 Red Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug Green Bug Blue Bug Blue Bug Green Bug Orange Bug Purple Bug Red Bug Yellow 181

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

One more VERY important thing, on ALL ypur cars, buy enhanced uninsured, under insured coverage.

In Calif, all standard policies come with a $30K uninsured, under insured limit, Even if your limit is higher, you get standard 30K uninsured under insured coverage automatically but you can purchase extra, like 100k limit for not much money.

if you get hit by some one with no insurance, your policy will pay up to the limit of that coverage.

If the other driver only has a low policy (california requires minimum 30K liability) say they hit you, and you suffer a maybe months of lost wages, hospital bills, etc..and it comes to 22k. you would only get 22K from other guys policy, your policy will cover zero.
But if you have say 65k in damages, and they have the 30k policy, and ypu bought a 100K uninsured under insured policy, then the other guys policy pays its limit, 30K and your policy kicks in the difference, paying you 65k minus 30k equals...25K. Thus you end up fully covered for 65 k in damages

It turns out I added this coverage, 100k limit and within a couple years had it pay out the full amount, most went to doctors, surgeons, lost wages, but I was covered! If I had not bought the coverage, I would have been left with bills, and the person that hit me did have state minimum coverage, just is 30K was not near enough.

just some advice for what it is worth.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

I have Grundy. About $250 a year combined for my 78 & 74.

I'm so glad I don't live in California. Shocked
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

X2 on Haggerty. Full coverage was cheaper than Farm Bureu wanted for liability. Depends on which state you live in whether it needs to be garaged or not. You have to pay for the full year up front.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

A year or so ago I switched my coverage to AAA, they got my house already and they offer classic car coverage. Agreed value. $30K on my ghia. Same as with the others, need a daily driver car and garage. I dont have any mileage limit or need to be driving to a car event for coverage. I also cover my non-opped bus project (thru allstate)...$7 every 6 mo.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

Haggerty here for the three in the stable.
Shop around and find what fits your needs.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

My preference is USAA. They are the best out there but they do not insure classics other than by the usual insurance.

Hagerty has better rates for classics when you start adding multiple cars.

USAA does allow you to put your vehicle in storage. One that I am restoring is put in storage. It greatly reduces the rates.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

JC Taylor here... have been using them since 1977 (with zero claims)... 3 cars at 100/300, uninsured motorist, 1500 miles a year, liability only for 3 cars is $200 annually... they will not insure a VW bus
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

... have my 1955 bug with Allstate... Have been using them since 1972. Liability only is $30 a month... have home owner and some health with them also.

... maybe that's y a lot of Californians are moving to Oklahoma.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

We use American Collectors Ins., 250.00 a year, agreed value on my 73 Thing at 30,000.00.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

What agreed values are you guys getting? I have 40000 and pay around $400 with Hagerty. I have good record too.
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

Price is not everything with insurance. Service when you need it is most important to me. I've needed a tow twice and had great service, no questions asked, no increase in my rate. Another Hagerty supporter here. Very Happy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

We also have a high level of AAA, which with 4 cars, has come in very handy, especially antique cars cause you never know.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vw insurance Reply with quote

Any suggestions on insurance for a daily driver? I use mine as a daily driver and want agreed value around 30-35k.

Stated value screwed me before. I had it under valued at 18k stated since that is the only way they would insure me. Got in an accident and repairs were some 16k, so since it was over 75% of the stated value according to the stated policy (even though the value was under stated), then they wanted to deem it a total loss and give me a salvage title. I do not want a salvage title on my car! Come to find out the DOI allows insurance companies to charge 25% more in CA for insurance for salvage title vehicles.

I think I would be better off with no stated value, get an independent appraisal and fight over the value if in an accident.

Labor rates are very expensive in CA so salvage title vehicles are left and right nowadays.

Best scenario would be to find a company that would insure my vehicle with an agreed value and allow me to use it as a daily. I would be happy to pay the ins premiums.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: