Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Library science
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Library science Reply with quote

When we bought our Westy in 2006 the seller, an adoption professional with the County, included the van's Life Book, something those folks do for their charges, evidently. I have not recorded every scrap of info as faithfully as Suzanne did but the book lives in the door pocket mostly to record fillups and has taken a beating over the years. When the spiral cover began to tear and frag I made a recovery plan.

The problem with spiral notebooks is that they can lose pages pretty easily and will, with enough handling, eventually come apart. Composition books are sturdier. This one lasted Suzanne for the 13 years she owned the van and our 11 (so far), so the new cover and reinforcement should help it last a few more.

I already had the hole punch and selected a thin, flexible cutting board for my cover material. I needed the X-Acto knife to help remove some of the hole plugs since the puncher is not too sharp. I'd also bought a set of leather punches but have since lost them, and I think they'd have done a cleaner job on the holes. You know how that goes when a job is two years in the making, and I used the C-clamps on thin boards to hold the pages together during surgery.

I didn't take pix at each stage but you'll get the gist.

Cutting board piece after cutting to size and punching, with original tattered front cover.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Weapons of choice. Clamp the boards parallel to and near the spiral binding, use needlenose pliers to straighten the kink at one end and unscrew the spiral from the book.

New cover on Max's (her name for the camper) Life Book. We just call it "the camper." I had plans for a different name. Note the Gorilla Tape edge reinforcement. Once those spiral tabs are gone it really helps to recreate the edge.

The newspaper ad from '93 that put the Westy gleam in her eye. You used to see these in the newspaper. Remember newspaper classifieds? This van was parked at the curb with a FOR SALE sign in the kitchen window when I spotted it.

Notes by her and mechanics, continued by me.

Pages of gas refill records, continued by me.

Back cover also taped.

So, there it is. Not a thrilling and exotic Vanagon repair but one very important to this Vanagon and I've been meaning to do it for a while. I think Suzanne would approve.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Library science Reply with quote

Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Library science Reply with quote

Delightful!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Library science Reply with quote

Nice work! That's a real gem there! I love the '88 Grand Voyager ad above the Vanagon ad in the newspaper clipping! With wood grain, no less! I wonder how many of those catastrophes are still on the road.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Library science Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
Nice work! That's a real gem there! I love the '88 Grand Voyager ad above the Vanagon ad in the newspaper clipping! With wood grain, no less! I wonder how many of those catastrophes are still on the road.

I'd love to find one. I've had two '95s and I'm on my second '05.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Library science Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:

-Kevin

No kidding. And pretty much the same price as the Westy!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Library science Reply with quote

Found the punches. In the Westy. Of course.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: