Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Getting in Ghias (again)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

I had a Ghia which I sold ten years ago. I didn't have the time or money to put into fixing it up back then (baby, moving into a house, etc)

I'm ready to take the plunge again and I have my eye on this one:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/1969-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/6444228179.html

It's probably rusty as hell underneath. Is $5k a good price these days for a complete and running Northeast Ghia with patchy repairs? Seems like it's worth less.
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

IMHO that is overpriced. You already know it's going to take a bit of work to restore to original, and there is probably some rust that hasn't been pointed out.

But, how many others are available? How far are you willing to travel? How long can you wait?
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

A solid non running car would be better in that price range unless you have a MIG and some talent (and the motivation). The most expensive thing to make right in these is the bodywork.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Yeah, I can definitely wait... for one I need to clear space in my garage. LOL
For sure I'd prefer to buy local so I can see it in person before buying. And I'd like something that is complete so I don't have to track down missing parts. I think I'd offer half the asking price for that one.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Patience is a virtue...it will save you a lot of money when you see what is out there.
This forum is a good support group so don't think you'll be buying blind when considering candidates beyond your driving distance. It opens up the dry states too which means there should be some gems within your reach. I bought from 5000 miles away with the help of other Ghia fans. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm going into this knowing I'm in for a long process. I could just buy one that's already done but what's the fun in that?!

And I've been reading other posts and trying to educate myself as much as possible. I hope to start a project thread once I get going.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Thank you for the encouragement! I'm going into this knowing I'm in for a long process. I could just buy one that's already done but what's the fun in that?!

And I've been reading other posts and trying to educate myself as much as possible. I hope to start a project thread once I get going.

Look for stalled projects too often advertised in The Samba Classifieds.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Unless you're handy with a welder and know how to do body work & rust repair, hold out for a car with a good clean body (or one where the body work's already been done) that maybe needs a new interior and/or mechanical rebuild. The Ghia body is by far the most expensive area of the car to put right and requires some skills to do the job correctly. All the mechanical stuff is straightforward and fairly easy to manage.

Be patient and good luck with your search...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

The rust you see on that car is the tip of a massive iceberg.
Even the driest of Ghia are going to have some rust issues because of all the boxed structural areas, condensation causes then to rot from the inside out, so the car may look dry stripped but could be rusty as hell in the rockers, for example.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Unless you're handy with a welder and know how to do body work & rust repair, hold out for a car with a good clean body (or one where the body work's already been done) that maybe needs a new interior and/or mechanical rebuild. The Ghia body is by far the most expensive area of the car to put right and requires some skills to do the job correctly. All the mechanical stuff is straightforward and fairly easy to manage.

Be patient and good luck with your search...

Yes, I'm definitely better with mechanical repairs than body work. Still, I intend to take it very slowly and learn along the way. I'm lucky enough to have a third garage to do the work in so space is not an issue.

I know it's risky to pay too much for something that's rusty but there's also a risk in buying from someone who may have hidden rust and dents with gobs and gobs of bondo. I would have to rely on the reputation of whoever abandoned a half completed project.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Even the driest of Ghia are going to have some rust issues because of all the boxed structural areas, condensation causes then to rot from the inside out, so the car may look dry stripped but could be rusty as hell in the rockers, for example.

So even if you bought one new and put it into dry storage for 50 years, chances are the heater channels and dog legs are starting to rot out? I know these cars were made with very little corrosion protection.

My last ghia was something that the previous owner welded badly. The doors were all out of whack and he covered rusty channels with a new rocker. I don't want to go down that road again!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

So even if you bought one new and put it into dry storage for 50 years, chances are the heater channels and dog legs are starting to rot out? I know these cars were made with very little corrosion protection.

My last ghia was something that the previous owner welded badly. The doors were all out of whack and he covered rusty channels with a new rocker. I don't want to go down that road again!

Then I would definitely suggest passing on one that has 1/2" of bondo stripped away to show previous crappy attempts at rust repair.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
So even if you bought one new and put it into dry storage for 50 years, chances are the heater channels and dog legs are starting to rot out?
It would be a real long shot to find an original rust-free Ghia in CT...unless it was brought in from CA or the Southwest. I would think that most vintage VWs in your area with good paint & body probably already had some rust repair work done. Not a bad thing at all if done properly.
The last Ghia I picked up would probably be considered 'rust-free'...although I've never looked inside the rockers to be absolutely sure. All original sheetmetal, solid floors, no visible rust anywhere. Original CA 'black plate' car.
So, they are out there...just be prepared to spend some time & effort to track one down.
John Moxon wrote:
I bought from 5000 miles away with the help of other Ghia fans.

Peter D. wrote:
I know it's risky to pay too much for something that's rusty but there's also a risk in buying from someone who may have hidden rust and dents with gobs and gobs of bondo. I would have to rely on the reputation of whoever abandoned a half completed project.
You might consider finding someone knowledgeable about bodywork to give you a second opinion on cars that you're considering. As I said, the body's the most spendy part of the car to put right...especially if you farm the work out. Spending a little cash up front on a pre-purchase inspection could save you thousands in repair costs.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Stored in a dry environment sure, but anything parked in an environment where there is humidity and ups and downs in temp is going to have condensation issues in boxed cavities.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Peter, I've seen that '69 Ghia in the CL ad in person a few times in the past year. Owner is friendly, and was optimistic to try to perform body repairs while keeping the car on the road. Takes lots of guts to drive the car in New York City! It's at 2:24 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsenfqurx38 and at 0:10 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsc0BOYo9ws

Try to contact Samba member 67Vw2387. He has a few posts in the Ghia forum; seems to have a few Ghias at home and he's also in CT. Maybe he'd be interested to sell you one.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
I had a Ghia which I sold ten years ago. I didn't have the time or money to put into fixing it up back then (baby, moving into a house, etc)

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/1969-volkswagen-karmann-ghia/6444228179.html

It's probably rusty as hell underneath. Is $5k a good price these days for a complete and running Northeast Ghia with patchy repairs? Seems like it's worth less.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is a really strange alignment of those headlight "eyebrows", the way they appear to make the light shine off to either side rather than directly ahead.

Perhaps that's why there is a single driving light mounted pointing dead ahead on the front bumper. Smile

If the rust that you can see on the surface of a Karmann Ghia body is akin to the tip of an iceberg, then that Ghia must have a "rustberg" large enough to sink a Titanic sized ship.

Oh, it's all repairable if you've got either the skills/time or the $$$$.
It's just probably feels easier either way if you know the extent of the project you're getting yourself into before you actually make the purchase.

Good luck with everything, and enjoy the hunt.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

You should figure on replacing at least the lower 6 inches on each side of that car. Is that price a good price? I would say no but Ghias have been going up in value and I see prices all over the place.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Peter D. wrote:

That is a really strange alignment of those headlight "eyebrows", the way they appear to make the light shine off to either side rather than directly ahead.

Perhaps that's why there is a single driving light mounted pointing dead ahead on the front bumper. Smile

I, for one, find those wonky "eyebrows" add to the unique charm of the vehicle. Very Happy
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

I think head on they would give you that "mean" look rat rod flavor.
Mad
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Getting in Ghias (again) Reply with quote

Well, there's a few of Ghia's for sale in CT. I had planned on seeing one tomorrow but my wife has other plans for me. LOL.

I saw another this morning that is probably more work than I'm willing to take on. In pictures it looks like it's primer ready. Woo-hoo! But when I saw it in person there were a lot of bad repairs done to the rockers and lower quarter panels on both sides of the rear wheels. Head light areas had bondo. The floor were completely shot. Worst of all, I think when they did the rockers they may have thrown off the door geometry. Or maybe the hinges were sagging. It was hard to tell and perhaps I don't want to find out!

On the good side it was a complete car with german bumpers and numbers matching transaxle, floor pan, and motor. The nose was in excellent shape too.

So most of the body work has to be redone. The rear shelf area was looking particularly crusty too. The mechanical parts I can handle but the body... gotta think this over. Going to check out the other maybe next week hopefully. This forum is an awesome resource. Getting lots of inspiration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: