Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil galley plug pulling
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Hello Samba members,
I am building a big motor for my 67 bug and was wondering about the oil galley plugs. I have built 4 or 5 of these motors following Muir's Idiot book and never pulled the plugs. I just pressure washed the case after the machine shop was done. Im putting a bunch of money in this engine so I thought it may be a good idea. What do you guys think?

If I decide to pull them is this about right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks so much!
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

I recognize those pictures from Eric Huelsmanns page. Just read it and you're good to go.

http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

What should I do with these locations:

1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

pondervwmike wrote:

Don't mess with either of those.

And don't mess with the small one right next to the full flow inlet.

Also don't forget to tap the pump outlet and the outlet side of the case.
You should also make the clearance notch on the full flow inlet so you can spin the fitting.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Do not use those crappy aluminum plugs. Even anodized....you may never get them out oin a rebuild. Buy some zinc plated steel onea. I just bought some 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" NPT plugs at NAPA and can give you the part #s if you need them.

I was just about ro post them in the am in abuild thread in the 411/412 forum.

To get tapered thread plugs right you usually need to tap initally with a bottoming tap, then grind a few threads off the tap to tap deeper and straighter. Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Yeah, aluminum plugs consider those one use only, -permanent-
If they need to be removed and replaced again later brass or Steel with 565 sealer or low strength blue threadlocker.
If they are fittings that need to be positioned a certain way, full strength loctite.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

1st use brass/bronze plugs. 2nd out of the 3 red circled on the pully end of the case on the 3/4 side dont pull the bottom one.leave it in there. dont mess with the ones on the 1/2 side pulley end. on the one between 3&4 I go bigger and drill the passage all the way to the cam tower,no I dont remember the size...1 or 2 sizes bigger...030 bigger should be good. I also add the extra gally and widen the groove's on the center and pully end cam tower's ...but the center one needs to be widened only on the rearward side.(pulley end is rearward) due to stroker clearancing getting close to the groove...and you dont want a internal oil leek...that you dont know about. I also slot the lifter bores for full time rocker arm/head oiling, not spirt&squirt every other rev..sometimes I ad fresh tomatos to the pizza before cooking and sometimes after.and always lots of cheezzee. also be carfull doing it so you dont crack the case or tap too deep and block off another gally.I use teflon tape to seal, but i know how to use teflon tape, apparently there are some that dont....there are some things that just cant be fixed Shocked Wink probably dont need to pull the botom small one on the 3/4 side that you have circled.just use breakleen&air pressure.I suppose if you dont eff up the piston bore it wont hurt.... but if you do eff up the bore....how you gonna fix it Confused
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Dang I just filled my cart at Jegs with those cool blue aluminum pipe plugs. Good thing I didnt check out. Laughing Thanks guys!
1997 Jeep Cherokee
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Careful on the full flow inlet, as that bore intersects the oil control bore. Use a standard tap to start the threads, and finish with a tap that's cut short. If you don't, the pilot end of the tap can get bound up and cause you to tear out your half cut threads. Trust me Embarassed
SD
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
pondervwmike wrote:

You should also make the clearance notch on the full flow inlet so you can spin the fitting.

Brian

Just for my knowledge, why not tap/plug those?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
pondervwmike wrote:

Brian

Just for my knowledge, why not tap/plug those?

The bottom hole was there to cross drill for the oil pickup tube. No pressure there, and its easy to clean.
The top hole goes to nothing inside the case. it might have been there for fixturing. Later cases have the large allen head there, earlier ones have an aluminum plug pressed in.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

Thank you Brian!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Careful on the full flow inlet, as that bore intersects the oil control bore. Use a standard tap to start the threads, and finish with a tap that's cut short. If you don't, the pilot end of the tap can get bound up and cause you to tear out your half cut threads. Trust me Embarassed
SD
no it dosent. your taping the rong hole....do not pull the plug that go's to the relief piston bore. at all, and dam sure not for full flow.it's the top big plug you want for full flow.
but you do need to be carfull as the case is thin there and can be cracked eazely, pipe reamers are your friend. I like the cheep ass china taps as they seem to cut the mag better and eazer too.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

The full flow is already done. So I shouldnt fool with the one below the full flow inlet? Is that what you guys are sayin? That one does look like it intersects with the oil relief piston bore let me get a picture:
just pull the one in green?
yellow is full flow
red leave alone?

1997 Jeep Cherokee
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

pondervwmike wrote:
The full flow is already done. So I shouldnt fool with the one below the full flow inlet? Is that what you guys are sayin? That one does look like it intersects with the oil relief piston bore let me get a picture:
just pull the one in green?
yellow is full flow
red leave alone?

I always do the big red one. Just make sure the burrs are all cleaned out of the relief piston bore. Test fit the plunger when you are done.

Don't mess with the little red one.

Brian
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
esde wrote:
SD
no it dosent. your taping the rong hole....do not pull the plug that go's to the relief piston bore. at all, and dam sure not for full flow.it's the top big plug you want for full flow.
but you do need to be carfull as the case is thin there and can be cracked eazely, pipe reamers are your friend. I like the cheep ass china taps as they seem to cut the mag better and eazer too.

You know, my post wasn't correct. Gotta start getting more sleep or something. Just went down to look at there engine I'm working on. Did the case tapping a few months ago
Here:

the full flow port is on top. You can see the spot to the right that needs to be cut back, so there is enough room to spin the 90º fitting. And, inside, it DOES NOT intersect the oil control bore as I posted. BUT, you DO need to start with a regular tap, and finish with a tap that is cut short. Look closely inside, past the threads. The bore gets much smaller about 1" in, and if you use a long tap it gets bound up. So, either finish with a tap that's cut short, or use a reamer to open up the bottle neck, so the tap can fit.
And, you don't need to tap the lower plug for full flow. But it is the main oil galley, you probably do want to clean it. It does intersect the oil control bore, so be careful. You don't want to make an ugly edge that the piston will catch on.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

This is what you find behind the green circled plug typically, this case had been cleaned, junk gets pushed into the deadend, think it might be filter material, i check all cases I do in this area, if its not drilled and tapped, I stick a wire in there and always junk in there, stock cases its just dirt,generally. Maybe fram filter? LOL

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

pondervwmike wrote:

So if one had to tap and plug the oil pickup galley plug ( the one on the bottom) what size would that be?

I bought a new Brazilian case and the oil pickup tube was jacked such that I couldn’t put the extension on for my sump. I pulled a good one out of an older case no problem but the one in the new case wouldn’t budge. I pulled the plug and magically my 15mm socket was the perfect size to drive it out.
Now I just need to plug it back up.

I’ve been looking but cannot find another thread where someone posted all the size plugs for all the oil galley and other plugs on the case.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

I would not pull either of those you have in red circles
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plug pulling Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I would not pull either of those you have in red circles

Bully for you then:)
Apparently you didn't read my post.
I have already pulled that plug.
I'm trying to find out what size tap and plug others have used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: